Hi! I am looking for a house, in reasonably good shape, but that I could fix some things myself like upgrading the kitchen cabinets and bathroom fixtures, or finishing the basement. I am looking at several brick houses, 30-40 years old and many houses have cracks in the foundation walls, typically 2-3 per house. Where I live the soil is basically clay. Would it be OK to buy a house that has 4 cracks in the foundation (but all 4 have been repaired properly), or should I consider buying a less old house? I didn't look at younger houses because most of them have vinyl siding, and I hate vinyl siding for fire hazard reasons (I saw a house in my neighborhood where a barbecue ignited the siding, and the fire chief said if the house would have been cladded with aluminum, nothing would have happened to the house). Thanks.
brick homes are a great investment and a few reasonable cracks in the foundation should not be a big issue (crumbling, chunks missing, etc is bad). I am a realtor from michigan and I see alot of homes with much worse problems than that, if the house is in good physical shape but needs cosmetics that is the best kind to get, dont be shy about getting a fixer upper they are great investments, just make sure the repairs are something that can be done within your range of experience. make sure to get with a local realtor who specializes in market analysis and can speculate what the house might be worth fixed up and with good curb appeal. good luck in your search
Thanks for the input. In the meantime, I bought a house, not quite as old, but with some small things to fix, like adding a shower stall in the basement bathroom. However, I appreciate that you took time to answer to my questions.
Stairs - removed carpet, stain/fit question
How hard is it to convert old window sashes into kit...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!