Cedar/redwood deck -- have to treat/seal?
A couple of alternatives with which you can ignore the maintenance with less penalty:
- Use a wood species called Ipe (ee-pay), also known as Ironwood. It's an exotic Brazilian hardwood that is extremely durable. It's quite attractive and you can forget about the maintenance for a long time, but it's more expensive and, it is so hard and dense, you must use screws - too hard to nail - and you'll wear out sawblades a little faster.
- Use pressure-treated pine for your substructure, and a synthetic decking material for the deck surface. The synthetic decking is also somewhat pricey, but requires no maintenance, and the pressure-treated lumber also has a rather long lifespan without maintenance, especially if you use concrete footers to keep substructure posts away from ground contact.
Pergola over deck, attached to house
Do you have to have vent for Stove?
entry door - replace door/jam only or does sidelight...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!