Cedar/redwood deck -- have to treat/seal?
A couple of alternatives with which you can ignore the maintenance with less penalty:
- Use a wood species called Ipe (ee-pay), also known as Ironwood. It's an exotic Brazilian hardwood that is extremely durable. It's quite attractive and you can forget about the maintenance for a long time, but it's more expensive and, it is so hard and dense, you must use screws - too hard to nail - and you'll wear out sawblades a little faster.
- Use pressure-treated pine for your substructure, and a synthetic decking material for the deck surface. The synthetic decking is also somewhat pricey, but requires no maintenance, and the pressure-treated lumber also has a rather long lifespan without maintenance, especially if you use concrete footers to keep substructure posts away from ground contact.
Pergola over deck, attached to house
Do you have to have vent for Stove?
entry door - replace door/jam only or does sidelight...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs