Cedar/redwood deck -- have to treat/seal?
A couple of alternatives with which you can ignore the maintenance with less penalty:
- Use a wood species called Ipe (ee-pay), also known as Ironwood. It's an exotic Brazilian hardwood that is extremely durable. It's quite attractive and you can forget about the maintenance for a long time, but it's more expensive and, it is so hard and dense, you must use screws - too hard to nail - and you'll wear out sawblades a little faster.
- Use pressure-treated pine for your substructure, and a synthetic decking material for the deck surface. The synthetic decking is also somewhat pricey, but requires no maintenance, and the pressure-treated lumber also has a rather long lifespan without maintenance, especially if you use concrete footers to keep substructure posts away from ground contact.
Pergola over deck, attached to house
Do you have to have vent for Stove?
entry door - replace door/jam only or does sidelight...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps