Cedar/redwood deck -- have to treat/seal?
A couple of alternatives with which you can ignore the maintenance with less penalty:
- Use a wood species called Ipe (ee-pay), also known as Ironwood. It's an exotic Brazilian hardwood that is extremely durable. It's quite attractive and you can forget about the maintenance for a long time, but it's more expensive and, it is so hard and dense, you must use screws - too hard to nail - and you'll wear out sawblades a little faster.
- Use pressure-treated pine for your substructure, and a synthetic decking material for the deck surface. The synthetic decking is also somewhat pricey, but requires no maintenance, and the pressure-treated lumber also has a rather long lifespan without maintenance, especially if you use concrete footers to keep substructure posts away from ground contact.
Pergola over deck, attached to house
Do you have to have vent for Stove?
entry door - replace door/jam only or does sidelight...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs