Replaced an old water heater with a new 40 gal. gas water heater. Used new water pipe port adaptors (3/4 npt to 3/4 copper)in the tank ports. After cleaning the threads I applied teflon tape to the threads and tightened the adaptors tight. After heating the water heater up to temperature (130 deg) I have a very, very small leak coming through the tank port threads (both hot and cold). What is my problem ?? I am a fairly experienced do it yourselfer.
Hello and welcome to the forums. Your problem is easy to fix. The adapters coming off the HWH are not tight enough. You will have to cut the pipes, retighten the adapters with a large adjustable wrench, and install (2) CxC slip couplings and resolder. Use PIPE DOPE on the male threads only. It's possible you miswrapped your teflon tape. When you use dope, you can't go wrong.
Water heater installation help.
hot water return line issue / valve tips?
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water, ...
Water Heater Leak
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY