Replaced an old water heater with a new 40 gal. gas water heater. Used new water pipe port adaptors (3/4 npt to 3/4 copper)in the tank ports. After cleaning the threads I applied teflon tape to the threads and tightened the adaptors tight. After heating the water heater up to temperature (130 deg) I have a very, very small leak coming through the tank port threads (both hot and cold). What is my problem ?? I am a fairly experienced do it yourselfer.
Hello and welcome to the forums. Your problem is easy to fix. The adapters coming off the HWH are not tight enough. You will have to cut the pipes, retighten the adapters with a large adjustable wrench, and install (2) CxC slip couplings and resolder. Use PIPE DOPE on the male threads only. It's possible you miswrapped your teflon tape. When you use dope, you can't go wrong.
Water heater installation help.
hot water return line issue / valve tips?
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water, ...
Water Heater Leak
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps