Replaced an old water heater with a new 40 gal. gas water heater. Used new water pipe port adaptors (3/4 npt to 3/4 copper)in the tank ports. After cleaning the threads I applied teflon tape to the threads and tightened the adaptors tight. After heating the water heater up to temperature (130 deg) I have a very, very small leak coming through the tank port threads (both hot and cold). What is my problem ?? I am a fairly experienced do it yourselfer.
Hello and welcome to the forums. Your problem is easy to fix. The adapters coming off the HWH are not tight enough. You will have to cut the pipes, retighten the adapters with a large adjustable wrench, and install (2) CxC slip couplings and resolder. Use PIPE DOPE on the male threads only. It's possible you miswrapped your teflon tape. When you use dope, you can't go wrong.
Water heater installation help.
hot water return line issue / valve tips?
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water, ...
Water Heater Leak
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs