Replaced an old water heater with a new 40 gal. gas water heater. Used new water pipe port adaptors (3/4 npt to 3/4 copper)in the tank ports. After cleaning the threads I applied teflon tape to the threads and tightened the adaptors tight. After heating the water heater up to temperature (130 deg) I have a very, very small leak coming through the tank port threads (both hot and cold). What is my problem ?? I am a fairly experienced do it yourselfer.
Hello and welcome to the forums. Your problem is easy to fix. The adapters coming off the HWH are not tight enough. You will have to cut the pipes, retighten the adapters with a large adjustable wrench, and install (2) CxC slip couplings and resolder. Use PIPE DOPE on the male threads only. It's possible you miswrapped your teflon tape. When you use dope, you can't go wrong.
Water heater installation help.
hot water return line issue / valve tips?
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water, ...
Water Heater Leak
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees