I am renewing the fixtures on a 2nd floor bathtub with no easy access to the area beneath the tub drain. The present setup has a toggle fitting at the overfloor to open/close the drain. This has never worked very well. I would like to replace it with a simple one where you pull up a knob right at the drain itself. I am wondering if there are any retrofit type drain screens that work this way such that you don't have to remove the threaded drain flange itself. I can remove the top screen but I hesitate trying to remove the flange.
Tiptoes and pullups often have a larger screw bolt. This screw bolt must be the same size as the screw hole in the center of your bath tub drain flange. If not, you will need to remove the flange with a spud wrench or drain tool. They do sell retrofits for different bath shoe drain sizes(the female fitting under the tub). The risks are breaking the bath shoe off of the waste and overflow tee. With limited or no access, replacing the drain flange can be tricky because you have no way of knowing or seeing if your new flange is leaking or not until it causes damage in the ceiling downstairs. Tip: If you are able to get the flange off safely, there's a black rubber gasket that needs to be removed. Clean all the surfaces the best you can. With your new flange and gasket, put silicone around your flange lip instead of plumber's putty. This is as good as it gets without opening the ceiling or the wall behind the tub and replacing the entire waste and overflow assembly. Hope this helps. P.S. If the cross members break or are gone in your drain flange, write back.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!