I am renewing the fixtures on a 2nd floor bathtub with no easy access to the area beneath the tub drain. The present setup has a toggle fitting at the overfloor to open/close the drain. This has never worked very well. I would like to replace it with a simple one where you pull up a knob right at the drain itself. I am wondering if there are any retrofit type drain screens that work this way such that you don't have to remove the threaded drain flange itself. I can remove the top screen but I hesitate trying to remove the flange.
Tiptoes and pullups often have a larger screw bolt. This screw bolt must be the same size as the screw hole in the center of your bath tub drain flange. If not, you will need to remove the flange with a spud wrench or drain tool. They do sell retrofits for different bath shoe drain sizes(the female fitting under the tub). The risks are breaking the bath shoe off of the waste and overflow tee. With limited or no access, replacing the drain flange can be tricky because you have no way of knowing or seeing if your new flange is leaking or not until it causes damage in the ceiling downstairs. Tip: If you are able to get the flange off safely, there's a black rubber gasket that needs to be removed. Clean all the surfaces the best you can. With your new flange and gasket, put silicone around your flange lip instead of plumber's putty. This is as good as it gets without opening the ceiling or the wall behind the tub and replacing the entire waste and overflow assembly. Hope this helps. P.S. If the cross members break or are gone in your drain flange, write back.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes