Old house, vintage bathroom - probably 1940s-era sink. It had a drip from faucet that turned into a steady leak. I took apart the handles and stems (which slide horizontally into the sink face), and found that the stems were bent, the washers shot, and the seats hollowed out. I bought new stems, handles, seats, and washers, but I couldn't get the old seats out. (I used a tapper jammed in there pretty good and tried it with a socket wrench, not to mention other tools, but it wouldn't give). So I finally figured out that if I just stuck in a larger washer, the contraption worked. No more drip.
For about two weeks. Then all of a sudden, the water pressure coming out of the sink was nil. Didn't affect the toilet or shower. And weirdly, it started to improve over the next week or two until the water pressure was almost bearable. And then today it was back to a trickle.
I'm OK if the advice is to trash this old thing. I also got some advice to look at the aerator, though I'm not sure where to look on this sink. If there's an easy fix, please let me know.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!