I want to install a whole house fan but the only ones I can locate are ones that I must box in by cutting the rafters. Can I simply fasten the fan to the rafters above where I cut? This would create about a 6 inch increase in height above the opening but would this hurt? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
If you don't put in some kind of frame under the fan (from joist to joist), you'll pull in a lot of attic air to recirculate.
Typically whole house fans are put into an existing hallway. If you know what you are doing you can use both walls as load bearing walls and cut the trusses. Then install cross supports from these cuts to the sissor parts of the trusses. A truss engineering company can tell you what new braces to use for a fee of couse. Whole house fans are best installed this way or like one of the other posts you can box above your truss system.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes