We live in a home built in 1892. Six years ago we had central air installed (for the first time) by our local heating and cooling expert. Over the past six years we have heard a screeching noise (it comes from the refrigerant filled tubing) when the system turns on and off. It is like the house is possessed. At the start of this year, the noise was worse than ever, all the time. Then suddenly mid-summer, the noise stopped, but we were almost completely without cool air! It was great, NO screeching noise, but no cold air. We called him, and he fixed the problem with the cold air and the screeching noise started right back up again. He keeps saying he can't find the problem and he will call the company for advice (for six years). My family is going crazy with that noise. I feel like calling another heating and cooling company to fix his problem, but I don't want to pay extra when it's the first guys fault. Please help!
If it was me, I'd call someone else pronto. How much is your family's sanity worth? Sounds like your local "expert" needs help with this one. Six years is far too long to wait.
I know that the sound is coming from the tubing, but why is mine doing this and not all air conditioners? Do you think replacing the tubing is the answer? I need to do something. I don't think you understand how loud the noise is.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes