We live in a home built in 1892. Six years ago we had central air installed (for the first time) by our local heating and cooling expert. Over the past six years we have heard a screeching noise (it comes from the refrigerant filled tubing) when the system turns on and off. It is like the house is possessed. At the start of this year, the noise was worse than ever, all the time. Then suddenly mid-summer, the noise stopped, but we were almost completely without cool air! It was great, NO screeching noise, but no cold air. We called him, and he fixed the problem with the cold air and the screeching noise started right back up again. He keeps saying he can't find the problem and he will call the company for advice (for six years). My family is going crazy with that noise. I feel like calling another heating and cooling company to fix his problem, but I don't want to pay extra when it's the first guys fault. Please help!
If it was me, I'd call someone else pronto. How much is your family's sanity worth? Sounds like your local "expert" needs help with this one. Six years is far too long to wait.
I know that the sound is coming from the tubing, but why is mine doing this and not all air conditioners? Do you think replacing the tubing is the answer? I need to do something. I don't think you understand how loud the noise is.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING