We live in a home built in 1892. Six years ago we had central air installed (for the first time) by our local heating and cooling expert. Over the past six years we have heard a screeching noise (it comes from the refrigerant filled tubing) when the system turns on and off. It is like the house is possessed. At the start of this year, the noise was worse than ever, all the time. Then suddenly mid-summer, the noise stopped, but we were almost completely without cool air! It was great, NO screeching noise, but no cold air. We called him, and he fixed the problem with the cold air and the screeching noise started right back up again. He keeps saying he can't find the problem and he will call the company for advice (for six years). My family is going crazy with that noise. I feel like calling another heating and cooling company to fix his problem, but I don't want to pay extra when it's the first guys fault. Please help!
If it was me, I'd call someone else pronto. How much is your family's sanity worth? Sounds like your local "expert" needs help with this one. Six years is far too long to wait.
I know that the sound is coming from the tubing, but why is mine doing this and not all air conditioners? Do you think replacing the tubing is the answer? I need to do something. I don't think you understand how loud the noise is.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!