My home is 7 years old. We have an unfinished basement with no windows & the only door being the door opening to the kitchen area. The walls are concrete block & we are told they have been sealed from the outside during construction.
Within the first year of being in our home we noticed dampness in the basement along with a damp odor. I also noticed mold on some of the cardboard & furniture stored in the basement. We then applied a sealant (Drylok). The problem continued. We have areas on the walls were dampness continues to come through the walls and the Drylok company instructed me to apply 1-2 more coats of their product. We intend to repaint those areas in the near future. My concern is that the odor eminates throughout the home through the metal duct work & we all have allergies in the home (evident most when the home is sealed up, when running AC or heater). We are looking into a heat exchange unit to ventilate the basement to the outside but wonder if this is enough? The basement is unheated presently and in the next few years we intend to finish off that space. What is the best way to tackle ventillation in an unheated basement to control dampness and odor and is ventillation enough?
Thank you for any information you can shed on this subject.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!