I have a Trane XE 80 (1990 model) furnance and the fan's electric motor seems to have shorted out. When the thermostat sends a signal to the furnance, the ignitor turns on and the gas ignites, but the fan does not turn on. Instead there is a loud humming noise and a strong smell of burning plastic (like an electrical short smell). I removed the electric motor at the front of our furnace - just above the gas valve. Is this the only electric motor associated with Trane XE80 units? I ask this because it looks like this fan may only be an exhaust fan - do Trane XE80 units have two fans? One for the exhuast and another to force the heat through the house? Also, who typically supplies these parts (i.e., where can a consumer go and buy new parts typically??)
Thanks for your help!
Cold in Colorado
I dont know about the furnace parts housees in colorado, but in georgia in order to buy HVAC parts, you must be licensed as HVAC tech. So I suggest you contact your local HVAC company.
The motor sounds like a combustion blower motor, if it is in the flue exhaust system that is exactly what it is. If it is humming the motor is probably frozen unless it has a capacitor. I would suggest that when you replace the motor you check the temperature rise in the furnace comapred to its name plate temp rise limit. It may be that the flue gas temperature was too high and the motor bearings froze as a result. Sounds like you may just be addressing the symptom not the cause.
Trane Gas Furnance
King Circulator Wood Stove Info
Frozen Pipes in exterior wall of room under heated
Airconditioner is leaking into the house
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight