02:45AM | 02/21/07
Member Since: 02/20/07
2 lifetime posts
My neighbor attached a "box" to my 2nd story extension, wood-panelled exterior wall. It's connected by large metal coil to his mid-sized central ac unit on his roof area. WHAT IS THIS BOX, disconnect, grounding box??

It happens to be lined up to where I have an electrical outlet on the inside of my house. Are they stealing electricity???? Unbeknownst to me it was drilled/nailed into my wood and I think now is reasponsible for water seepage and the wood buckling far away from building. we're attached brick rowhouses w/non-brick extensions. It's a mess and illegal. Would you call the town inspector, will his insurance pay to repair wood siding?



09:24AM | 02/21/07
Member Since: 04/25/05
1918 lifetime posts
A picture would help.

I don't know what you mean by "Large". A typical AC disconnect would be maybe 6" by 8" to 8" by 12".

I could not find a picture of a typical installation. But this shows a snapshot of one.$file/acdisconnectFrameset.htm

The gray box is the disconnect. (And almost all of them are gray unless they have been repainted). They will either have a arm on the side for a switch or the cover will lift up and you will have a switch or a pullout.

The large black/gray is insulation on one of the AC refigeration lines. There is a smaller copper tube beside it. That will go from the house (his house) to the AC unit.

The flexable light gray line from the disconnect to the AC unit is the electrical power.

Also there needs to wire cable or conduit feed into the disconnect. On many homes it comes in the back and is not seen.

Since the AC unit is 240 and high current draw it is unlikely that it connected to your receptacle which is 120 volt.

If the neighbor has caused damage and you fill a lawsuite then his insurance company will defend him and if he loses pay for the costs if it is covered by his policy. Which in most case I would think that this would be covered by his liability.

Basically like car insurance. Now often, if the problem is clear and who caused it is clear then the insurance companies will pay without a lawsuite.

I don't know what the "town inspector" is. There are city cody inspectors. They enforce maintance and valve codes. They check for peeling paint, broken windows, trash in the yard and thing like this. Normally they would not have anything to do with this.

The other ones are Building Code Inspectors. Depending on the area they may be part of the city, county or state. They inspect NEW contruction and Remodeling and some Repairs. If this was recent (which it does not sound like) and part of replacing the AC unit them it is possible that it come under the building inspector.

Note not all areas have both types of inspectors and some don't have any.

Some cities have Neighborhood Dispute Resolution offices. Typically they can't force anyone to do anything, but can help moderate a discussion of the problem.


10:36AM | 02/21/07
Member Since: 02/20/07
2 lifetime posts
I will call the housing inspector. You make sense about the 240 vs 120 volt. That's a load off my mind. Thanks very much!!


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.


type the code from the image


Post_new_button or Login_button

This garden shed has been decked out to the nines. Designer Orla Kiely created the intimate home for a flower trade show, ... Built on a rocky island in the Drina River, near the town of Bajina Basta, Serbia, this wooden house was cobbled together ... Large steel-framed windows flood the interior of this remodeled Michigan barn with daylight. The owners hired Northworks A... Edging formed with upside-down wine bottles is a refreshing change. Cleverly and artistically involving recycled materials... A Washington State couple called on BC&J Architects to transform their 400-square-foot boathouse into a hub for family bea... Similar to the elevated utensil concept, hanging your pots and pans from a ceiling-mounted rack keeps them nearby and easy... For windows, doors, and mirrors that could use a little definition, the Naples Etched Glass Border adds a decorative flora... The thyme growing between these stepping stones adds a heady fragrance to strolls along this lush, low-maintenance garden ... Decoupage is an easy way to add any paper design to your switch plate, whether it is wallpaper, scrapbook paper, book page... Twine lanterns add pops of crafty—but sophisticated—flair to any outdoor setting. Wrap glue-soaked twine around a balloon ... When securely fastened to a tree or the ceiling of a porch, a pallet and some cushioning make the ideal place to lounge. V... Reluctant to throw away any of those unidentified keys in your junk drawer? Hang them from a few chains attached to a simp... A stripped-down model, sans screened porch, starts out at $79,000. Add the porch, a heated floor for the bath, and all the... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... Need a window and a door in a tight space? A Dutch door with a window may be your answer. These useful doors are split hor...
Newsletter_icon Google_plus Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss_icon