I'm refinishing my basement into a game room with a table tennis table and an air hockey table. Is there a formula to determine how many watts of light I need to light the area sufficiently? The area is 500 sq ft and the ceiling is 6'10" high. I will be using flourescent tube lights that will be recessed in the ceiling. I want it to be bright but no so bright that it causes a glare. Thank you for any help that you can give me.
Three 4 bulb 40 watt flourescent fixtures should do it. Go with 4 fixtures if this is a long narrow space over 30 some feet long. Put one in the middle and the other two a little closer to the ends than the middle. You can always disconnect one of the ballasts on each light if you want to use two bulbs instead of four in each fixture. Commercial buildings will use two switches with 3 conductor wire going to the lights. That way one switch runs two bulbs of all three lights and the other switch runs the other bulbs if you need the full amount of light. Wire it white(neutral) to all the white neutrals, black (hot) to the outside ballasts black hot wire, and red(hot) to the inside ballasts black hot wire. They have a ballast for the outside bulbs and a ballast for the inside bulbs.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!