Don't misunderstand me - Your question is a VERY basic one. So my first 'reaction' is if you don't know what you're doing, ESPECIALLY when it comes to electricty (which you CAN'T see), you may be in a position to 'hurt' yourself. At the same time, I respect your desire to save some $$$ and do this yourself.
With the latter thought in my mind, spend some of the $$$ you'd otherwise spend for an Electricial to do the job and go and buy yourself a GOOD, introductory book on Electrical Wiring. The Home Centers have them as does Time/Life and Reader's Digest. Even a Bookstore in the Mall has them. You will find MORE useful info in there that will educate you more than we can do from here.
For example, you may need to run a separate, new 3-wire line to the bathroom. You WILL want to install a GFCI outlet in the bathroom too. Even more, maybe the outlet box is currently installed in an UNSAFE location, like right next to the bathtub, or something.
There's more to just running wires and hooking them up ESPECIALLY when it comes to electricity. Do yourself a favor - Educate yourself on basic electricity, then more on up to electricity 'around' water. Sorry, but it's the best advice I can give you (and anyone else thinking the same thing with your particular 'background'.)
Be safe. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: Christmas is coming - Find the book and have someone buy it for you ...
PPS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes