Don't misunderstand me - Your question is a VERY basic one. So my first 'reaction' is if you don't know what you're doing, ESPECIALLY when it comes to electricty (which you CAN'T see), you may be in a position to 'hurt' yourself. At the same time, I respect your desire to save some $$$ and do this yourself.
With the latter thought in my mind, spend some of the $$$ you'd otherwise spend for an Electricial to do the job and go and buy yourself a GOOD, introductory book on Electrical Wiring. The Home Centers have them as does Time/Life and Reader's Digest. Even a Bookstore in the Mall has them. You will find MORE useful info in there that will educate you more than we can do from here.
For example, you may need to run a separate, new 3-wire line to the bathroom. You WILL want to install a GFCI outlet in the bathroom too. Even more, maybe the outlet box is currently installed in an UNSAFE location, like right next to the bathtub, or something.
There's more to just running wires and hooking them up ESPECIALLY when it comes to electricity. Do yourself a favor - Educate yourself on basic electricity, then more on up to electricity 'around' water. Sorry, but it's the best advice I can give you (and anyone else thinking the same thing with your particular 'background'.)
Be safe. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: Christmas is coming - Find the book and have someone buy it for you ...
PPS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda