208 single phase
I am considering purchasing a heater of of eaby the is rated at 4000 watts-208 single phase. What would the best wire be for this circuit. I assume I will just add a 220 circuit like for a stove or dryer?
Running this heater at 240 volts would cause the heat output to go up over 25%. This will, at best, cause the high limit cutout to keep turning this heater off because it is overheating. Not a good idea. Also, life of the element will be shortened considerably.
If you do have 208 volts available, #10 wire is what you're looking for.
[This message has been edited by Tom O (edited November 11, 2002).]
i what situation would 208 volts be used.... there is also one that is 480 volts. Are these commercial voltages?
480 can be found in large commercial installations and in industrial settings. It is usually 3 phase but there are a few areas where 240/480 single phase is available.
You could use a "Buck-boost" transformer, this would allow you to "buck" the 240VAC down to 212VAC, this should put you within the permissable operating range of the heater, however this should be verified with the mfgr. Would recommend that you contact an electrical contractor that specilizes in residential AND commercial, a "buck-boost" transformer is not something a typical residential electrician is familiar with.
Best recommendation is to purchase a UL listed heater rated to operate on a 120/240 single phase system.
wiring a single phase / 230 volts / 18.8 amps / 60 Hz
How can I reverse polarity (spin direction) on elect...
3 phase 220
Help with 208/230 voltage
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 9 New & Familiar Ways to Add Moldings
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- 11 Kitchens That Defy Their Small Size