208 single phase
I am considering purchasing a heater of of eaby the is rated at 4000 watts-208 single phase. What would the best wire be for this circuit. I assume I will just add a 220 circuit like for a stove or dryer?
Running this heater at 240 volts would cause the heat output to go up over 25%. This will, at best, cause the high limit cutout to keep turning this heater off because it is overheating. Not a good idea. Also, life of the element will be shortened considerably.
If you do have 208 volts available, #10 wire is what you're looking for.
[This message has been edited by Tom O (edited November 11, 2002).]
i what situation would 208 volts be used.... there is also one that is 480 volts. Are these commercial voltages?
480 can be found in large commercial installations and in industrial settings. It is usually 3 phase but there are a few areas where 240/480 single phase is available.
You could use a "Buck-boost" transformer, this would allow you to "buck" the 240VAC down to 212VAC, this should put you within the permissable operating range of the heater, however this should be verified with the mfgr. Would recommend that you contact an electrical contractor that specilizes in residential AND commercial, a "buck-boost" transformer is not something a typical residential electrician is familiar with.
Best recommendation is to purchase a UL listed heater rated to operate on a 120/240 single phase system.
wiring a single phase / 230 volts / 18.8 amps / 60 Hz
How can I reverse polarity (spin direction) on elect...
3 phase 220
Help with 208/230 voltage
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!