208 single phase
I am considering purchasing a heater of of eaby the is rated at 4000 watts-208 single phase. What would the best wire be for this circuit. I assume I will just add a 220 circuit like for a stove or dryer?
Running this heater at 240 volts would cause the heat output to go up over 25%. This will, at best, cause the high limit cutout to keep turning this heater off because it is overheating. Not a good idea. Also, life of the element will be shortened considerably.
If you do have 208 volts available, #10 wire is what you're looking for.
[This message has been edited by Tom O (edited November 11, 2002).]
i what situation would 208 volts be used.... there is also one that is 480 volts. Are these commercial voltages?
480 can be found in large commercial installations and in industrial settings. It is usually 3 phase but there are a few areas where 240/480 single phase is available.
You could use a "Buck-boost" transformer, this would allow you to "buck" the 240VAC down to 212VAC, this should put you within the permissable operating range of the heater, however this should be verified with the mfgr. Would recommend that you contact an electrical contractor that specilizes in residential AND commercial, a "buck-boost" transformer is not something a typical residential electrician is familiar with.
Best recommendation is to purchase a UL listed heater rated to operate on a 120/240 single phase system.
wiring a single phase / 230 volts / 18.8 amps / 60 Hz
How can I reverse polarity (spin direction) on elect...
3 phase 220
Help with 208/230 voltage
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs