metal or plastic boxes?
Plastic does not create shorts when in contact with inadvertantly exposed wire. (You should take care to not allow wires to become inadvertantly exposed inside the box, anyway, but it provides "belt and suspenders" protection, just in case.) Plastic is often easier to work with, and you should independently ground everything to ground wires, anyway, not just the boxes attached to ground wires.
Metal boxes can be just as large if not larger than plastic. You are just judging the dimensions of the boxes in stock at your local store. I use deep metal boxes when I need MORE space.
Metal boxes (even gangable ones) come both with and without attached brackets for attachment to the studs.
You should not secure a box by nailing THROUGH the box from the outside edge. Secure the edge that is flush with the stud from inside the box, or (better yet) with a bracket that is attached/welded to the box. I use screws to secure boxes because you get finer control over where they end up. Use an extended screwdriver-bit (6 inches or longer) to be able to screw the screw outwards from inside the box.
Personally, I prefer the plastic boxes from a cost standpoint and the fact that there is more of the box pressed against the stud than a metal box with a 1" wide nailing flange.
Clamps for plastic boxes???
Non toxic glue to glue metal and plastic
floors(under the house)
Wood or 'Plastic' shutters in direct sunlit windows?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps