i bought an old house with small, decorative tin shingle roof on it....the house does not leak, but the tins are beginning to rust and need painting....any tips on what to do? which paint to use? what prep i need to do?
I resently repainted the tin roof on my Gothic style farm house. (very steep pitch) First, I power-washed the complete roof with a 2500 psi washer. I did scrub some areas with a stiff brush and warm sudsy water, the section under a tree. I purchased the best paint I could find, I didn't want to do this again. Benjamin Moore has a paint formulated for metal. I applied two coats with a roller, using a brush where necessary. Be careful, I customized a wood ladder to have legs to go over the top of the roof and wore a saftey harness.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!