i bought an old house with small, decorative tin shingle roof on it....the house does not leak, but the tins are beginning to rust and need painting....any tips on what to do? which paint to use? what prep i need to do?
I resently repainted the tin roof on my Gothic style farm house. (very steep pitch) First, I power-washed the complete roof with a 2500 psi washer. I did scrub some areas with a stiff brush and warm sudsy water, the section under a tree. I purchased the best paint I could find, I didn't want to do this again. Benjamin Moore has a paint formulated for metal. I applied two coats with a roller, using a brush where necessary. Be careful, I customized a wood ladder to have legs to go over the top of the roof and wore a saftey harness.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight