It could be mold and/or mildew. If the roof is shaded, all or in part, any dampness/water/wetness up there will 'stick around' and do this.
To test it out, mix a solution of 1 cup Household Bleach w/1 gallon of water. 2 cups for 2 gallons, and so on. (You can 'up' the Bleach if you want a stronger mix but it MAY kill/damage your vegetation wherever it runs.) W/O the sun around, 'broom on' some of the mix on the streak. (Start w/a conspicious part, perhaps in the back of the house or towards the peak of the roof.) Let it sit. Let it sit for about 15 minutes. If it disappears w/the use of a garden hose when you rinse, then it's mold/mildew. If not, it could be plain, old dirt.
Unfortunately, if the cleaning w/bleach works, you'll need to wash the ENTIRE roof. Otherwise, you'll notice the clean parts from down below. (It may look silly.) To kinda 'permanently' stop the mold/mildew, you need to trim back the trees and such. Mold/mildew like dampness, shade, and warm temperatures. By allowing the sun in and adding the extra airflow, you shouldn't get this problem.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!