All the circuits in my home are 20 amp circuits. I've installed some additional lighting using dimmer switches rated for either 15 or 20 amps. The house was built in '65 and eventually I'm going to want to replace all the other existing light switches. But I can't find any toggle style light switches that are residential grade and rated for 20 amps. All I can find are the commercial grade switches, which is not what I want because they have the larger toggle and are more expensive. Why can't I find what I'm looking for? Are there any other solutions?
20A is the rating for the entire circuit. Generally, 15A receptacles and switches are permitted by code as long as there are at least 2 per circuit because each will generally be less than 15A (Even 1 receptacle counts as 2 if it is duplex). The only time you'd need a 20A would be where it was the only thing on the circuit, like on a refrigerator circuit that had a single outlet, not duplex.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!