It started innocently - the answering maching keep resetting itself and beeping. I thought it was going bad. Then last night my wife shouts at me to come into the washroom. As I get in there she said something sounds like a bee in the breaker box. I wait and sure enough I can even see the sparking. I reach up and pull the 200 amp main.
I removed the cover and did a quick inspection. I found a screw on the neutral bar fused and the screw above that one was not even tightened down. I tightened down the screw and restore the power. There was still sparking going on at the one that's been fused.
I isolated the breaker and pulled everything off that branch (3 computers, answering machine, printer, etc.) and restored power. It was fine for a little while and then continued to spark.
Did the loose screw above the fused screw cause the problem?
a) Should I cut the neutral wire at the fused screw and put it in a new hole?
b) Replace the breaker (as Dad suggested) - I don't think it's a breaker issue...
c) Was it faulty computer equipment or power strip?
d) Could it be a loose wire at one of the outlets?
Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Remove the wire from the fused screw and replace in a new hole. This shouldn't be a breaker issue based on your description. Do your work in the panel with the main off, and remember the feeders to the main are still hot.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects