It started innocently - the answering maching keep resetting itself and beeping. I thought it was going bad. Then last night my wife shouts at me to come into the washroom. As I get in there she said something sounds like a bee in the breaker box. I wait and sure enough I can even see the sparking. I reach up and pull the 200 amp main.
I removed the cover and did a quick inspection. I found a screw on the neutral bar fused and the screw above that one was not even tightened down. I tightened down the screw and restore the power. There was still sparking going on at the one that's been fused.
I isolated the breaker and pulled everything off that branch (3 computers, answering machine, printer, etc.) and restored power. It was fine for a little while and then continued to spark.
Did the loose screw above the fused screw cause the problem?
a) Should I cut the neutral wire at the fused screw and put it in a new hole?
b) Replace the breaker (as Dad suggested) - I don't think it's a breaker issue...
c) Was it faulty computer equipment or power strip?
d) Could it be a loose wire at one of the outlets?
Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Remove the wire from the fused screw and replace in a new hole. This shouldn't be a breaker issue based on your description. Do your work in the panel with the main off, and remember the feeders to the main are still hot.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates