It started innocently - the answering maching keep resetting itself and beeping. I thought it was going bad. Then last night my wife shouts at me to come into the washroom. As I get in there she said something sounds like a bee in the breaker box. I wait and sure enough I can even see the sparking. I reach up and pull the 200 amp main.
I removed the cover and did a quick inspection. I found a screw on the neutral bar fused and the screw above that one was not even tightened down. I tightened down the screw and restore the power. There was still sparking going on at the one that's been fused.
I isolated the breaker and pulled everything off that branch (3 computers, answering machine, printer, etc.) and restored power. It was fine for a little while and then continued to spark.
Did the loose screw above the fused screw cause the problem?
a) Should I cut the neutral wire at the fused screw and put it in a new hole?
b) Replace the breaker (as Dad suggested) - I don't think it's a breaker issue...
c) Was it faulty computer equipment or power strip?
d) Could it be a loose wire at one of the outlets?
Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Remove the wire from the fused screw and replace in a new hole. This shouldn't be a breaker issue based on your description. Do your work in the panel with the main off, and remember the feeders to the main are still hot.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING