It started innocently - the answering maching keep resetting itself and beeping. I thought it was going bad. Then last night my wife shouts at me to come into the washroom. As I get in there she said something sounds like a bee in the breaker box. I wait and sure enough I can even see the sparking. I reach up and pull the 200 amp main.
I removed the cover and did a quick inspection. I found a screw on the neutral bar fused and the screw above that one was not even tightened down. I tightened down the screw and restore the power. There was still sparking going on at the one that's been fused.
I isolated the breaker and pulled everything off that branch (3 computers, answering machine, printer, etc.) and restored power. It was fine for a little while and then continued to spark.
Did the loose screw above the fused screw cause the problem?
a) Should I cut the neutral wire at the fused screw and put it in a new hole?
b) Replace the breaker (as Dad suggested) - I don't think it's a breaker issue...
c) Was it faulty computer equipment or power strip?
d) Could it be a loose wire at one of the outlets?
Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Remove the wire from the fused screw and replace in a new hole. This shouldn't be a breaker issue based on your description. Do your work in the panel with the main off, and remember the feeders to the main are still hot.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs