We are trying to strip a mantle & surround that could beanywhere from 60-100 years old. There are about 3 layers of paint on it. I'm sure , due to the age, that some of the layers contain lead. However, the thought didnt occur to us, and used a heat gun to start stripping it, in our basement, with no protection or anything. This was for one day only, for about 2 hours. Do you think there was any serious damage done to us or the environment? And is all the concern about lead based paint removal for large jobs, like an entire house, or is it just as dangerous for a small job like a pice of furniture?
If you had really bad lead poisoning, you'd probably be having symptoms. Still, even if you have no symptoms, you could have mild lead poisoning. You can go to the doctor and have a blood test. They can detect very low levels, even below the level where you would have visible symptoms. Highly recommended. If any children were exposed to the area, you should especially have them tested, as children are more susceptible to lead poisoning and can suffer permanent brain damage.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!