Wall Paper HELP!!!
Another idea, more drastic: you can buy very thin drywall to resurface the walls with.
Whether you're steaming, peeling, using one of those scoring things, or using regular old hot water and a putty knife, removing the old wallpaper is usually time consuming and just plain messy.
The biggest thing we learned was that a lot of times there's a reason that something was wallpapered. Once we got all of ours down we looked at each other and wondered what we had gotten ourselves into. The walls were rough (not just with wallpaper adhesive- I'm talking rough plaster, uneven areas, cracks, the works) and needed a LOT of prep before they were even ready for paint.
It came out looking pretty good in the end, but it definitely didn't come out perfect. We had to skimcoat and sand most of the walls because you just can't smooth out old plaster.
Swearing and 'Kilz' paint to cover adhesive stains are going to be a big part of your life in the next few months.
[This message has been edited by JayF (edited December 02, 2002).]
wall paper over wall paper or paint over wall paper
Paint grasscloth wallpaper????
Stripping wall paper--
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!