Wall Paper HELP!!!
Another idea, more drastic: you can buy very thin drywall to resurface the walls with.
Whether you're steaming, peeling, using one of those scoring things, or using regular old hot water and a putty knife, removing the old wallpaper is usually time consuming and just plain messy.
The biggest thing we learned was that a lot of times there's a reason that something was wallpapered. Once we got all of ours down we looked at each other and wondered what we had gotten ourselves into. The walls were rough (not just with wallpaper adhesive- I'm talking rough plaster, uneven areas, cracks, the works) and needed a LOT of prep before they were even ready for paint.
It came out looking pretty good in the end, but it definitely didn't come out perfect. We had to skimcoat and sand most of the walls because you just can't smooth out old plaster.
Swearing and 'Kilz' paint to cover adhesive stains are going to be a big part of your life in the next few months.
[This message has been edited by JayF (edited December 02, 2002).]
wall paper over wall paper or paint over wall paper
Paint grasscloth wallpaper????
Stripping wall paper--
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes