Wall Paper HELP!!!
Another idea, more drastic: you can buy very thin drywall to resurface the walls with.
Whether you're steaming, peeling, using one of those scoring things, or using regular old hot water and a putty knife, removing the old wallpaper is usually time consuming and just plain messy.
The biggest thing we learned was that a lot of times there's a reason that something was wallpapered. Once we got all of ours down we looked at each other and wondered what we had gotten ourselves into. The walls were rough (not just with wallpaper adhesive- I'm talking rough plaster, uneven areas, cracks, the works) and needed a LOT of prep before they were even ready for paint.
It came out looking pretty good in the end, but it definitely didn't come out perfect. We had to skimcoat and sand most of the walls because you just can't smooth out old plaster.
Swearing and 'Kilz' paint to cover adhesive stains are going to be a big part of your life in the next few months.
[This message has been edited by JayF (edited December 02, 2002).]
wall paper over wall paper or paint over wall paper
Paint grasscloth wallpaper????
Stripping wall paper--
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- Soundproof Your Home with 11 DIYs
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY