Wall Paper HELP!!!
Another idea, more drastic: you can buy very thin drywall to resurface the walls with.
Whether you're steaming, peeling, using one of those scoring things, or using regular old hot water and a putty knife, removing the old wallpaper is usually time consuming and just plain messy.
The biggest thing we learned was that a lot of times there's a reason that something was wallpapered. Once we got all of ours down we looked at each other and wondered what we had gotten ourselves into. The walls were rough (not just with wallpaper adhesive- I'm talking rough plaster, uneven areas, cracks, the works) and needed a LOT of prep before they were even ready for paint.
It came out looking pretty good in the end, but it definitely didn't come out perfect. We had to skimcoat and sand most of the walls because you just can't smooth out old plaster.
Swearing and 'Kilz' paint to cover adhesive stains are going to be a big part of your life in the next few months.
[This message has been edited by JayF (edited December 02, 2002).]
wall paper over wall paper or paint over wall paper
Paint grasscloth wallpaper????
Stripping wall paper--
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!