We are painting all the rooms in our "new" house (built in 1979) and all the wood work -mouldings, door frames, doors, staircase edges, etc are the typical 1980 dark stained wood with probably some sort of a light varnish. The house we're moving from (1980) had the same darn woodwork in it, which we ended up pulling out and replacing it all (including the doors) because we never tried painting it because we thought it wouldn't work or look good.
So the question is can we quickly and easily paint a light color (like white/off-white) over the woodwork with out sanding it or applying a liquid sandpaper? What about using some of these "gripper" primers? Would you sand some of the larger areas like the wood by the stairs, the door frames or doors? We really don't want to have to spend lots of time sanding nor do we want to have to replace all the mouldings again.
The Zinsser company says that with their primers all you need to do is wipe the woodwork with paint thinner/mineral spirits and then follow with an ammonia & water wash.I would go with their BIN primer as if you knots in the wood it will hold them back the best. The finish paint to use will be a acrylic latex semi-gloss and you will most likely need 2 coats of finish paint over the primer if the woodwork is as dark as it sounds.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!