We are painting all the rooms in our "new" house (built in 1979) and all the wood work -mouldings, door frames, doors, staircase edges, etc are the typical 1980 dark stained wood with probably some sort of a light varnish. The house we're moving from (1980) had the same darn woodwork in it, which we ended up pulling out and replacing it all (including the doors) because we never tried painting it because we thought it wouldn't work or look good.
So the question is can we quickly and easily paint a light color (like white/off-white) over the woodwork with out sanding it or applying a liquid sandpaper? What about using some of these "gripper" primers? Would you sand some of the larger areas like the wood by the stairs, the door frames or doors? We really don't want to have to spend lots of time sanding nor do we want to have to replace all the mouldings again.
The Zinsser company says that with their primers all you need to do is wipe the woodwork with paint thinner/mineral spirits and then follow with an ammonia & water wash.I would go with their BIN primer as if you knots in the wood it will hold them back the best. The finish paint to use will be a acrylic latex semi-gloss and you will most likely need 2 coats of finish paint over the primer if the woodwork is as dark as it sounds.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes