We are painting all the rooms in our "new" house (built in 1979) and all the wood work -mouldings, door frames, doors, staircase edges, etc are the typical 1980 dark stained wood with probably some sort of a light varnish. The house we're moving from (1980) had the same darn woodwork in it, which we ended up pulling out and replacing it all (including the doors) because we never tried painting it because we thought it wouldn't work or look good.
So the question is can we quickly and easily paint a light color (like white/off-white) over the woodwork with out sanding it or applying a liquid sandpaper? What about using some of these "gripper" primers? Would you sand some of the larger areas like the wood by the stairs, the door frames or doors? We really don't want to have to spend lots of time sanding nor do we want to have to replace all the mouldings again.
The Zinsser company says that with their primers all you need to do is wipe the woodwork with paint thinner/mineral spirits and then follow with an ammonia & water wash.I would go with their BIN primer as if you knots in the wood it will hold them back the best. The finish paint to use will be a acrylic latex semi-gloss and you will most likely need 2 coats of finish paint over the primer if the woodwork is as dark as it sounds.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!