We are painting all the rooms in our "new" house (built in 1979) and all the wood work -mouldings, door frames, doors, staircase edges, etc are the typical 1980 dark stained wood with probably some sort of a light varnish. The house we're moving from (1980) had the same darn woodwork in it, which we ended up pulling out and replacing it all (including the doors) because we never tried painting it because we thought it wouldn't work or look good.
So the question is can we quickly and easily paint a light color (like white/off-white) over the woodwork with out sanding it or applying a liquid sandpaper? What about using some of these "gripper" primers? Would you sand some of the larger areas like the wood by the stairs, the door frames or doors? We really don't want to have to spend lots of time sanding nor do we want to have to replace all the mouldings again.
The Zinsser company says that with their primers all you need to do is wipe the woodwork with paint thinner/mineral spirits and then follow with an ammonia & water wash.I would go with their BIN primer as if you knots in the wood it will hold them back the best. The finish paint to use will be a acrylic latex semi-gloss and you will most likely need 2 coats of finish paint over the primer if the woodwork is as dark as it sounds.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!