Re: Painting Doors - Latex vs. enamel
Oil is harder - which is good and bad - it is harder to scratch - but it chips more easily.
If you are using white - oil will yellow - latex won't
Oil levels better - so it shows fewer brush marks - but it tends to be a little thin - so it is more likely to sag.
Tough call really - there are pros and cons to each.
I personally like either an eggshell oil (Ultra-Hide 1512) or an ICI product called Ultra-Hide Lo-Lustre (latex).
You also might try a new product ICI introduced last year - Advanced Alkyd - flows, levels, and is hard - like an alkyd - but cleans up with soap and water - has little odor - and dries to the touch in about 4 hours.
I have only limited experience with the Advanced Alkyd - but it appears to work as advertised.
These products are available at an ICI Paints Store.
"Enamel" (in common paint parlance) refers to ANY hard washable finish - LATEX OR OIL!
As the previous post implied, whether it is oil or latex is not the only variable. Semi-glossy finishes will clean up better than matte/satin/eggshell finishes.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda