Re: Painting Doors - Latex vs. enamel
Oil is harder - which is good and bad - it is harder to scratch - but it chips more easily.
If you are using white - oil will yellow - latex won't
Oil levels better - so it shows fewer brush marks - but it tends to be a little thin - so it is more likely to sag.
Tough call really - there are pros and cons to each.
I personally like either an eggshell oil (Ultra-Hide 1512) or an ICI product called Ultra-Hide Lo-Lustre (latex).
You also might try a new product ICI introduced last year - Advanced Alkyd - flows, levels, and is hard - like an alkyd - but cleans up with soap and water - has little odor - and dries to the touch in about 4 hours.
I have only limited experience with the Advanced Alkyd - but it appears to work as advertised.
These products are available at an ICI Paints Store.
"Enamel" (in common paint parlance) refers to ANY hard washable finish - LATEX OR OIL!
As the previous post implied, whether it is oil or latex is not the only variable. Semi-glossy finishes will clean up better than matte/satin/eggshell finishes.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps