Vent installation on steel roof
To avoid leaking vents, just install a full-length ridge vent, or as much as you can. Zero leaks.
Another tip to help lower your cooling bills, coat the metal white with a good quality elastomeric product.
www.supertherm.net & www.icc-astec.com come to mind.
Good luck with your new roof.
Next, most types of metal roofing are designed for installation over solid decking or existing shingles (with new underlayment). If you install strapping first, make sure that the roof panels you're installing are appropriate for that type of application. Don't mess around -- contact the roofing manufacturer and inquire with them.
Next, with a pyramid style roof, you will need to use standard square static vents. Again, inquire with your roofing manufacturer for proper flashing methods.
The vents you're installing are there to allow unwanted heat and excessive moisture out of the attic. Your metal roof is not "putting" these things in there though. The need for ventilation is the same no mater what type of roof you're installing. As we do things to make homes tighter, we must increase ventilation.
Finally, these vents are for "exhaust" ... to function properly, you also need "intake" -- normally soffit vents.
Contact me if you have further questions.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!