Vent installation on steel roof
To avoid leaking vents, just install a full-length ridge vent, or as much as you can. Zero leaks.
Another tip to help lower your cooling bills, coat the metal white with a good quality elastomeric product.
www.supertherm.net & www.icc-astec.com come to mind.
Good luck with your new roof.
Next, most types of metal roofing are designed for installation over solid decking or existing shingles (with new underlayment). If you install strapping first, make sure that the roof panels you're installing are appropriate for that type of application. Don't mess around -- contact the roofing manufacturer and inquire with them.
Next, with a pyramid style roof, you will need to use standard square static vents. Again, inquire with your roofing manufacturer for proper flashing methods.
The vents you're installing are there to allow unwanted heat and excessive moisture out of the attic. Your metal roof is not "putting" these things in there though. The need for ventilation is the same no mater what type of roof you're installing. As we do things to make homes tighter, we must increase ventilation.
Finally, these vents are for "exhaust" ... to function properly, you also need "intake" -- normally soffit vents.
Contact me if you have further questions.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!