Vent installation on steel roof
To avoid leaking vents, just install a full-length ridge vent, or as much as you can. Zero leaks.
Another tip to help lower your cooling bills, coat the metal white with a good quality elastomeric product.
www.supertherm.net & www.icc-astec.com come to mind.
Good luck with your new roof.
Next, most types of metal roofing are designed for installation over solid decking or existing shingles (with new underlayment). If you install strapping first, make sure that the roof panels you're installing are appropriate for that type of application. Don't mess around -- contact the roofing manufacturer and inquire with them.
Next, with a pyramid style roof, you will need to use standard square static vents. Again, inquire with your roofing manufacturer for proper flashing methods.
The vents you're installing are there to allow unwanted heat and excessive moisture out of the attic. Your metal roof is not "putting" these things in there though. The need for ventilation is the same no mater what type of roof you're installing. As we do things to make homes tighter, we must increase ventilation.
Finally, these vents are for "exhaust" ... to function properly, you also need "intake" -- normally soffit vents.
Contact me if you have further questions.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects