My husband and I recently purchased our first home. A couple of days ago we decided it was time to get the ugly burnt orange carpet out of the living room and dining room. The carpet came up easy enough -- too bad that's not the case for the padding. It's stuck to the floor! We're not sure if the person who laid the carpet glued it down or what, but about 95 percent of the padding is stuck tight to the hardwood. HELP! We really wanted to do this project ourselves, but this project has us stuck!
I'm in the same boat - but in my case I'm dealing with Linoleum that has been glued to thwe hardwood floors (I still can't believe that some-one would glue anything over hardwood!!) So far I have been told to try a chemical stripper as well as a scraper followed by a sander. I have not yet decided what course of action I'm going to follow.
Let me know if you get a response and I'll do the same.
My wife and I were in the exact same boat. We pulled up the carpeting to find that the pad had been glued to the maple floor. It's been over a year now and we haven't found an easy solution. We are still working on it - first the chemical stripper, then the hand sander and scraper, then the big floor sander. We've tried practically every grade and brand of stripper available, they all work about the same.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love