My husband and I recently purchased our first home. A couple of days ago we decided it was time to get the ugly burnt orange carpet out of the living room and dining room. The carpet came up easy enough -- too bad that's not the case for the padding. It's stuck to the floor! We're not sure if the person who laid the carpet glued it down or what, but about 95 percent of the padding is stuck tight to the hardwood. HELP! We really wanted to do this project ourselves, but this project has us stuck!
I'm in the same boat - but in my case I'm dealing with Linoleum that has been glued to thwe hardwood floors (I still can't believe that some-one would glue anything over hardwood!!) So far I have been told to try a chemical stripper as well as a scraper followed by a sander. I have not yet decided what course of action I'm going to follow.
Let me know if you get a response and I'll do the same.
My wife and I were in the exact same boat. We pulled up the carpeting to find that the pad had been glued to the maple floor. It's been over a year now and we haven't found an easy solution. We are still working on it - first the chemical stripper, then the hand sander and scraper, then the big floor sander. We've tried practically every grade and brand of stripper available, they all work about the same.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects