My husband and I recently purchased our first home. A couple of days ago we decided it was time to get the ugly burnt orange carpet out of the living room and dining room. The carpet came up easy enough -- too bad that's not the case for the padding. It's stuck to the floor! We're not sure if the person who laid the carpet glued it down or what, but about 95 percent of the padding is stuck tight to the hardwood. HELP! We really wanted to do this project ourselves, but this project has us stuck!
I'm in the same boat - but in my case I'm dealing with Linoleum that has been glued to thwe hardwood floors (I still can't believe that some-one would glue anything over hardwood!!) So far I have been told to try a chemical stripper as well as a scraper followed by a sander. I have not yet decided what course of action I'm going to follow.
Let me know if you get a response and I'll do the same.
My wife and I were in the exact same boat. We pulled up the carpeting to find that the pad had been glued to the maple floor. It's been over a year now and we haven't found an easy solution. We are still working on it - first the chemical stripper, then the hand sander and scraper, then the big floor sander. We've tried practically every grade and brand of stripper available, they all work about the same.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING