My husband and I recently purchased our first home. A couple of days ago we decided it was time to get the ugly burnt orange carpet out of the living room and dining room. The carpet came up easy enough -- too bad that's not the case for the padding. It's stuck to the floor! We're not sure if the person who laid the carpet glued it down or what, but about 95 percent of the padding is stuck tight to the hardwood. HELP! We really wanted to do this project ourselves, but this project has us stuck!
I'm in the same boat - but in my case I'm dealing with Linoleum that has been glued to thwe hardwood floors (I still can't believe that some-one would glue anything over hardwood!!) So far I have been told to try a chemical stripper as well as a scraper followed by a sander. I have not yet decided what course of action I'm going to follow.
Let me know if you get a response and I'll do the same.
My wife and I were in the exact same boat. We pulled up the carpeting to find that the pad had been glued to the maple floor. It's been over a year now and we haven't found an easy solution. We are still working on it - first the chemical stripper, then the hand sander and scraper, then the big floor sander. We've tried practically every grade and brand of stripper available, they all work about the same.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes