Our ~80 year old house has a flat roof. The roof itself is doing fine, but in the middle of it there is a roof drain, made of cast iron pipe.
Last winter we started getting water leaking in, and I traced the problem to the roof drain, which had partially rusted through just below roof. I managed to patch it with duct tape and spray on sealant, but I don't imagine that qualifies as a permanent fix. I'm also not sure of the state of the rest of the drain.
The complication is that just below the roof, the pipe takes a roughly 90 degree turn, and has about a six foot horizontal run through the attic before turning vertical again. That horizontal run is inside the dividing wall (it is a semi-detached house), with only the two bends exposed to the general attick.
I'm trying to figure out if there is some way I can tell if the pipe is in good condition elsewhere, and how to replace the bit that connects to the roof. If I have to replace the whole pipe I don't think it would be possible without ripping a long slot in the roof, and I'm hoping to avoid that!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!