Haven't posted in awhile, but got going on a project and need some expert insight....isn K2 still out there? He always had such good ideas!!!!
The entry way and kitchen floor of the house I bought a year ago was covered in indoor/outdoor (aka utility) carpet.
I finally got sick of it and tore it all up.
Underneath I found a combination of circa 1980 sheet vinyl (mostly in decent shape), but with a very large (6' x 10 ') cement patch in the middle . The cement appears to be laid over the vinyl flooring, at least along the edges of the patch. On one edge of the cement patch the vinyl has formed a significant crack where the floor has settled, so the cement is cracking and breaking away there as well.
All this has resulted in a very uneven floor (though I don't have a level floor in this house, so that is not unusual)
(Guess I know why someome put down carpet in the kitchen!!!)
So I am pondering how to fix this mess? Lay down 1/4 plywood over all of it and tile over that? Use some sortof self-leveling product over the vinyl tile and weird conrete patch??
Jack hammer the whole mess up?
Install carpet again?
What to do??
Thanks for your insight!!
Tracy in Dolores, CO
What to do?
laying ceramic tile over old existing ceramic tile
Ceramic tile over old vinyl
INSTALLING TILES AND RADIATORS
Tile over Vinyl?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes