Haven't posted in awhile, but got going on a project and need some expert insight....isn K2 still out there? He always had such good ideas!!!!
The entry way and kitchen floor of the house I bought a year ago was covered in indoor/outdoor (aka utility) carpet.
I finally got sick of it and tore it all up.
Underneath I found a combination of circa 1980 sheet vinyl (mostly in decent shape), but with a very large (6' x 10 ') cement patch in the middle . The cement appears to be laid over the vinyl flooring, at least along the edges of the patch. On one edge of the cement patch the vinyl has formed a significant crack where the floor has settled, so the cement is cracking and breaking away there as well.
All this has resulted in a very uneven floor (though I don't have a level floor in this house, so that is not unusual)
(Guess I know why someome put down carpet in the kitchen!!!)
So I am pondering how to fix this mess? Lay down 1/4 plywood over all of it and tile over that? Use some sortof self-leveling product over the vinyl tile and weird conrete patch??
Jack hammer the whole mess up?
Install carpet again?
What to do??
Thanks for your insight!!
Tracy in Dolores, CO
What to do?
I think you might get away with a 1/4 inch plywood and vinyl on that but that's a crap shoot. Probably the best thing is to tear it all up and start over. If you want ceramic tile remember you need cement backerboard underneath it. Any uneven flooring under ceramic tile is just going to lead to cracked tiles.
laying ceramic tile over old existing ceramic tile
Ceramic tile over old vinyl
INSTALLING TILES AND RADIATORS
Tile over Vinyl?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps