Asbestos tile. Help! When we moved into our old house (built 1964) six years ago within the first couple of weeks we had a big leak in the middle of the living room floor, the plumbers came and drilled up a good 4 sq feet of the floor, through the asbestos tile leaving dust everywhere for weeks. After they left my husband scraped up the rest of the tile and then put in Pergo type flooring. I never thought twice about it at the time, we were busy , we have four children and the smallest one was a baby then. It was only last week when he was ripping out the old carpet from our bedroom and there was broken asbestos tile underneath it that I thought about it. How much damage have we done our children's lungs from this asbestos from the initial tearing up of the floor 5+ years ago? We have been living here the whole time, in almost every day. Is there anything that can be done about it. The exposed tile we have now will soon be covered in flooring but how much of a panic should I be in?
Asbestos fibers only become dangerous when they are floating in the air, dry scraping a floor will put them airborn and the drilling sure could have. Any circular motions such as a drill or a circular saw cut will throw the fibers into the air as well as a sanding motion. Sweeping up debris will cause some to get into the air along with the other dust but not enough to pose a serious hazard, although if I were doing the sweeping I would have a good mask on as a safety precaution, none inhaled is better than some inhaled. The broken ones under the rug will be more a problem of proper disposal than a health hazard. Google the Resilient Floor Covering Institute I think its www.rfci.com and look for their downloadable booklet on recommended work practices for removal of resilient floor coverings. It may answer some of your concerns.
Refinish Vinly or Asbestos Tile
"Encapsulating " asbestos tile
asbestos tile glued on old uneven noisy sublfoor in ...
removing asbestos tile
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!