Please help (Handyman I think I need you on this one as well as any other experts - I just had broken asbestos tile removal that was under indoor/outdoor carpet and the contractor that put Metroflor vinyl tile down told me not to have a vapor barrier put down first as they have found out it actually invites mold growth -- that the concrete has to breathe.
They did not level the floor and there are a few tiles that if you push on them they go down and up at the edge of the tile but not at the corner - in the middle of the edge of the tile. They have been back 3 times to fix but there still seem to be a couple. I was told they will adhere and to put a couple of layers of sealer on it(matte finish). I was just reading about mold and vinyl on concrete and am scared now as this is the 1st floor level of a multilevel house and I did have mold remediation in the unfinished basement due to water intrusion down there and wood partiitions from when we moved in and can't afford another $30,000. The money is all gone. The 1st level does not have any water issues.
Please someone tell me if I did wrong. I did have a couple of companies come out and one suggested a vapor barrier and linoleum but this one seemed to make better sense as he told me the linoleum also would cause mold problems as well as the vapor barrier because the concrete could not breathe.
Thank you for any help. I am 70 years old and have a bad immune system - had surgery for cancer and can't have any more mold problems....don't have the cash to tear up the floor now either but if I am doomed to get mold I have to do something.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects