Please help (Handyman I think I need you on this one as well as any other experts - I just had broken asbestos tile removal that was under indoor/outdoor carpet and the contractor that put Metroflor vinyl tile down told me not to have a vapor barrier put down first as they have found out it actually invites mold growth -- that the concrete has to breathe.
They did not level the floor and there are a few tiles that if you push on them they go down and up at the edge of the tile but not at the corner - in the middle of the edge of the tile. They have been back 3 times to fix but there still seem to be a couple. I was told they will adhere and to put a couple of layers of sealer on it(matte finish). I was just reading about mold and vinyl on concrete and am scared now as this is the 1st floor level of a multilevel house and I did have mold remediation in the unfinished basement due to water intrusion down there and wood partiitions from when we moved in and can't afford another $30,000. The money is all gone. The 1st level does not have any water issues.
Please someone tell me if I did wrong. I did have a couple of companies come out and one suggested a vapor barrier and linoleum but this one seemed to make better sense as he told me the linoleum also would cause mold problems as well as the vapor barrier because the concrete could not breathe.
Thank you for any help. I am 70 years old and have a bad immune system - had surgery for cancer and can't have any more mold problems....don't have the cash to tear up the floor now either but if I am doomed to get mold I have to do something.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes