The Best Chainsaw Brands of 2022
Avoid buyer’s remorse by choosing a reliable chainsaw from one of these top manufacturers.
Chainsaws are handy for all sorts of jobs, from cutting firewood and landscaping to demolition and construction projects. While certain brands come with name recognition that instantly elevates them to the top of any chainsaw list, some of the lesser-known brands offer good value and quality as well.
The key to a smart chainsaw purchase is matching your budget and needs with the available offerings. Whether you are a seasoned professional or a weekend warrior, if you are in the market for a new chainsaw, this guide will help you sort out the brands to include—or avoid—in your search.
About the Brand: The best-selling chainsaw brand in the world, Stihl offers a full spectrum of high-quality saws for homeowners and professionals.
Price Range: $200 to more than $2,000
Stihl is a German manufacturer of chainsaws, string trimmers, leaf blowers, and other outdoor power equipment. Its extensive chainsaw lineup includes both 2-cycle and 4-cycle gas-powered saws, as well as plug-in electric and cordless electric models. Buyers will find that purchasing is limited to in-store pickup at local Stihl dealers. Founded in 1926 by Andreas Stihl, the company is still family-owned. Their global headquarters is located in Waiblingen, Baden-Württemberg.
- Stihl MS 250: The top pick in our Best Stihl Chainsaws buyer’s guide, this saw boasts a powerful 45.4cc 2-cycle engine and an 18-inch bar for an excellent ratio of weight to power. This model is an excellent choice for extended weekend use. Get the Stihl MS 250 at Ace Hardware for $369.99.
- Stihl MS 271 Farm Boss: With its rugged 50.2cc 2-cycle engine, this saw is widely considered the go-to choice for professional use. It comes with an 18-inch bar but is compatible with 16- and 20-inch bars as well. Get the Stihl MS 271 Farm Boss at Northern Tool + Equipment for $419.99.
- Stihl MSA 140 C-B: The high-torque brushless motor, powered by a 36V lithium-ion rechargeable battery, means Stihl quality and performance with zero emissions and quiet operation. This is a lightweight choice for those who need a dependable saw for up to 45 minutes per charge. Get the Stihl MSA 140 C-B at Ace Hardware for $349.99.
Shop for more Stihl chainsaws at:
About the Brand: A manufacturer of precision machinery and outdoor power equipment, Husqvarna produces some of the best chainsaws for homeowners and professionals.
Price Range: $200 to more than $2,000
In 1689, Husqvarna began as a precision boring and grinding shop in Huskvarna, Sweden, manufacturing gun parts for the military. In the 1870s, the company rapidly diversified with a wide array of consumer products, including sewing machines, wood stoves, typewriters, bicycles, motorcycles, and gas stoves.
In 1959, Husqvarna released its first chainsaw and quickly established a reputation for outstanding user experience: lighter-weight build, easier starting, quieter operation, reduced vibration, and a focus on safety. Today, Husqvarna Group operates manufacturing facilities around the globe, but it is still headquartered in Sweden. As Stihl’s top competitor, Husqvarna chainsaws enjoy strong customer loyalty around the world. Unlike Stihl products, Husqvarna chainsaws are available for online purchase with home delivery.
- Husqvarna 120 Mark II: Powered by a 38cc 2-cycle X-torque engine, this saw runs quieter, smoother, and releases fewer exhaust emissions than others in its class. The 16-inch bar makes it an excellent homeowner saw for felling small trees, pruning, and clearing brush. Get the Husqvarna 120 Mark II on Amazon for $229.99.
- Husqvarna 460 Rancher: The 460 Rancher boasts a 60.3cc engine and 24-inch bar to power through larger trees and loads of firewood with ease. We selected it as the Best Heavy-Duty Chainsaw in our guide to the Best Gas Chainsaws. Get the Husqvarna 460 Rancher at Tractor Supply Co. for $569.99.
Shop for more Husqvarna chainsaws at:
About the Brand: Greenworks is an innovator of cordless electric outdoor power equipment.
Price Range: $100 to $450
Greenworks started up shop in 2007, with its sights set on becoming the worldwide leader in cordless outdoor power equipment for DIY consumers and landscaping professionals. The manufacturer’s 24-, 40-, 60-, 80-, and 82-volt lithium-ion rechargeable battery-powered tools offer power and performance similar to gas-powered equipment, but without the associated noise and emissions.
Greenworks batteries are interchangeable among all of their same-voltage tools. These tools are available with or without batteries and chargers, making it more cost-effective to build a single-brand tool collection. The company offers chainsaws compatible with each of its cordless platforms, as well as corded models, all widely available for online purchase. Greenworks is headquartered in Changzhou, China, and all products are manufactured there.
- Greenworks G-MAX 40V Cordless Chainsaw: This saw is a solid all-around model for everyday use, with a 16-inch bar, toolless chain tensioning, metal bucking spikes, automatic blade oiler, and electronic chain brake. The efficient brushless electric motor and 40V 2Ah battery delivers up to 90 cuts per charge. Get the Greenworks G-MAX 40V Cordless Chainsaw on Amazon for $178.50.
Shop for more Greenworks chainsaws at:
4. Black & Decker
About the Brand: Black & Decker manufactures durable, budget-friendly corded and cordless electric power tools.
Price Range: $70 to $250
Black & Decker was founded in 1910 as a machine shop in Baltimore, Maryland, and soon began manufacturing a variety of electric power tools. In the wake of World War II, it was the first company to release a line of consumer-oriented power tools, before entering the lawn-and-garden market in the 1950s. Black & Decker chainsaws continue that legacy by offering an affordable, lightweight, reliable alternative to bigger, heavier, costlier pro-grade models.
Black & Decker is a brand of the global Stanley Black & Decker corporation that encompasses dozens of household tool brands. Its chainsaw components are manufactured all over the world, with most of the assembly process occurring in China.
- Black+Decker 20V MAX Cordless Chainsaw: This compact cordless chainsaw features a 10-inch bar and weighs in at just 6.8 pounds. The budget-friendly pick in our guide to the Best Electric Chainsaws of 2022, this saw is easy on the wallet and easy to use. Get the Black+Decker 20V MAX Cordless Chainsaw on Amazon for $123.61.
- Black+Decker 15-Amp Corded Electric Chainsaw: This corded electric chainsaw offers power, quiet operation, and unlimited runtime at a value price. The 18-inch low-kickback bar and 15-amp motor make smooth, fast cuts for a variety of tasks. Get the Black+Decker 15-Amp Corded Electric Chainsaw on Amazon for $96.79.
Shop for more Black & Decker chainsaws at:
About the Brand: Makita manufactures high-quality professional and serious DIY-grade tools.
Price Range: $200 to $1,000
Makita was founded in Japan in 1915 as an electric-motor sales and service business. It gradually became a leading manufacturer of high-quality electric hand tools. With the acquisition of respected German manufacturer Dolmar Sachs in the early 1990s, the company entered the gas-powered outdoor power equipment realm. These days, Makita chainsaws benefit from the rich histories of both companies, offering a full range of top-quality cordless electric and 2-cycle gas chainsaws for consumers and professionals.
Makita commands an excellent reputation for durability and overall performance. The brand’s chainsaws are especially appreciated for their favorable weight-to-power ratio. These lightweight, powerful saws are built with high-quality components, making them comfortable to operate and quite durable over time during extended use.
- Makita XCU03PT 18V X2 Cordless Chainsaw: This was the best overall pick in our review of the Best Chainsaws. The direct-drive brushless motor system, powered by dual 18V 5Ah batteries, delivers power equivalent to a 32cc 2-cycle gas engine and up to 190 cuts per charge. Get the Makita XCU03PT 18V X2 Cordless Chainsaw on Amazon for $339.
- Makita EA6100PRGG 20″ 61cc Chainsaw: This saw is built for long days cutting firewood or clearing the back forty. The 61cc 2-cycle gas engine produces 4.6 horsepower for easy felling and limbing, while weighing in at just 13.6 pounds. Get the Makita EA6100PRGG 20″ 61cc Chainsaw on Amazon for $639.
Shop for more Makita chainsaws at:
About the Brand: DeWalt makes professional-grade handheld corded and cordless electric tools.
Price Range: $180 to $700
DeWalt was formed in Pennsylvania as a manufacturer of innovative electric woodworking tools in 1924. In the mid-1990s, it kick-started the battery-powered hand-tool revolution upon releasing the first line of lightweight cordless tools for consumers.
One of the brand’s more recent innovations, FLEXVOLT for 20V and 60V, debuted in 2016, featuring the first battery that changes voltage automatically when the user changes tools. DeWalt continues to enjoy an excellent reputation for quality, reliability, and innovation at a mid-level price point. Though the DeWalt brand is now owned by Stanley Black & Decker, it is still headquartered and manufactured in the United States.
- DeWalt FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Brushless Chainsaw: We chose the DeWalt FLEXVOLT chainsaw as our top upgrade pick in the roundup of the Best Battery Chainsaws. The compact design makes it well balanced and easy to control while working in brushy areas, and the 60V rechargeable battery and high-efficiency motor combine for 30 minutes of runtime per charge. Get the DeWalt FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Brushless Chainsaw at The Home Depot for $329.
Shop for more DeWalt chainsaws at:
About the Brand: Poulan manufactures durable, no-frills chainsaws that offer a good value of price to power.
Price Range: $100 to $300
Poulan has been a trusted chainsaw brand since its founding in Louisiana in 1946. Throughout its history, the company has sought to provide simple, lightweight, powerful saws—first for loggers, and later on consumers—at an affordable price. The Poulan brand is now part of the global holdings of Husqvarna, and the chainsaws are assembled at several locations in the United States.
- Poulan Pro PR4016 Gas Chainsaw: Featuring a workhorse 40cc 2-cycle engine and 16-inch bar, this affordable, no-frills chainsaw is a good choice for occasional medium-duty work such as storm cleanup and minor tree felling and trimming. Get the Poulan Pro PR4016 Gas Chainsaw on Amazon for $174.99.
Shop for more Poulan chainsaws at:
About the Brand: ECHO makes simple, reliable, high-quality outdoor power equipment for weekend DIYers and professional everyday use.
Price Range: $200 to $600
Headquartered in Illinois, ECHO is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan. Since its founding in 1978, ECHO has engineered handheld outdoor power equipment to meet consumer and commercial needs while constantly improving its 2-cycle engines to reduce environmental impact. The brand now offers battery-powered chainsaws as well.
ECHO chainsaws have a reputation for simplicity, intuitive operation, durability, and reliability. Its consumer-oriented gas-powered chainsaw lineup compares favorably to those of other top brands like Stihl, Husqvarna, and Makita.
- ECHO CS-310-16 30.5cc Chainsaw: Weighing in at just 8.8 pounds, this chainsaw is light enough for all-day work. Convenience features include a slide access chain tensioner, an i-30 starter for easier starts, a toolless access air filter, and an automatic clutch-driven oiler. Get the Echo CS-310-16 30.5cc Chainsaw at The Home Depot for $199.99.
- ECHO eFORCE 56V Cordless Chainsaw: ECHO’s eFORCE cordless chainsaw delivers up to 60 cuts per charge. The easy-to-maneuver top-handle design and 7.4-pound weight make it one of the best saws for working safely in dense brush or pruning branchy trees and shrubs. Get the ECHO eFORCE 56V Cordless Chainsaw at The Home Depot for $499.
Shop for more ECHO chainsaws at:
About the Brand: Craftsman makes a variety of hand tools and power tools designed with DIYers in mind.
Price Range: $60 to $400
Since 1927, Craftsman tools has been a trusted brand in the consumer tools market. The lineup includes manual and electric hand tools, along with outdoor power equipment oriented toward homeowners and DIYers. Today, Craftsman is under the Stanley Black & Decker umbrella. Craftsman chainsaws and some other outdoor power tools are manufactured in China and imported by MTD Products.
Craftsman’s lineup of chainsaws includes gasoline-powered 2-cycle models, as well as corded and cordless electric options suitable for weekend DIY projects, serious homesteading, and landscaping. Typical of the brand, these saws generally include high-quality features beyond their price point.
- Craftsman S165 16 in. 42 cc Gas Chainsaw: Our reviewers loved this saw so much that it was named the best overall gas chainsaw in our reviews of the Best Gas Chainsaws and the Best Chainsaws of 2022. The 42cc engine and 16-inch bar offer excellent cutting ability for most jobs around the house, and it includes a 3-point vibration-dampening system for increased stability and comfort. At just $179 it’s budget-friendly, too. Get the Craftsman S165 16 in. 42 cc Gas Chainsaw at Ace Hardware for $179.
Shop for more Craftsman chainsaws at:
About the Brand: The leading manufacturer of chainsaw parts and accessories, Oregon offers an abbreviated lineup of entry-level chainsaws.
Price Range: $90 to $375
Oregon is synonymous with chainsaw maintenance. Those who have spent time in the outdoor power-equipment aisle in any home improvement center or hardware store will likely recognize the name printed on bar oil, sharpening kits and accessories, chainsaw bars, and replacement chains of all sizes. Oregon Tool, Inc. is first and foremost a Portland, Oregon–based chainsaw company established in 1947. It also produces a few high-quality electric chainsaws, including three corded and one cordless model, all of which are homeowner grade.
- Oregon CS1400 15 Amp Electric Chainsaw: Those who want simplicity, power, and durability without maintaining batteries or mixing fuel will appreciate this corded electric chainsaw. It features a balanced build and convenience features found on more expensive saws, such as automatic chain brake, automatic chain oiler, tool-free chain tensioning system, and a powerful 15-amp electric motor. Get the Oregon CS1400 15 Amp Electric Chainsaw on Amazon for $93.88.
Shop for more Oregon chainsaws at:
How We Chose the Best Chainsaw Brands
These brands represent some of the most enduring chainsaw manufacturers in the industry. We included legacy brands like Stihl and Husqvarna, not only because they were early designers and developers of chainsaw technology generations ago, but because they remain at the top of their game in terms of quality and innovation. They continue to improve the efficiency and emissions of the 2-cycle engine, even as they add popular cordless electric models to their lineup.
Similarly, relative newcomers like Greenworks offer robust new ideas and aggressive performance typical of market disrupters. Others, such as Oregon and Black & Decker, provide an excellent balance of quality and value. The brands here represent the variety of interests a consumer may consider as they shop for a new chainsaw.