If you have a mattress that’s thicker than 14 inches, you’re probably all too familiar with the frustrations of fitting a sheet over it. Standard sheets just aren’t designed for thicker mattresses; you need deep pocket sheets. Specifically designed for thicker mattresses, they feature extra- wide pockets so the sheet fully covers the sides of the mattress. This creates a cleaner look and keeps the sheets in place.
Whether you’ve just purchased a new thick hybrid or pillow-top mattress, or you’ve finally had enough of standard sheets, this guide is for you. You’ll find helpful pointers to consider as you shop and recommendations for the best deep pocket sheets.
- BEST OVERALL: Feather & Stitch 500 Thread Count 100% Cotton Sheets
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Sweet Home Collection Sheets-6 Piece
- BEST EXTRA-DEEP: CGK Unlimited Extra Deep Pocket Sheets – 6 Piece Set
- BEST BAMBOO: BAMPURE 100% Organic Bamboo Sheets
- BEST COLOR SELECTION: LuxClub 6 PC Sheet Set Bamboo Sheets Deep Pockets
- BEST EASY-CARE: Great Bay Home Micro Fleece Extra Soft Plush Printed
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Deep Pocket Sheets
While deep pocket sheets are all designed for use with thicker mattresses, there is still a fair amount of variability among the different products on the market. To select the best deep pocket sheets for your mattress, you’ll want to consider the fabric, thread count, weave, feel, fit, size, breathability, and temperature regulation as well as care instructions.
Deep pocket sheets, like standard bed sheets, come in a wide variety of fabric options. Some of the most common fabrics you’ll find include:
- Cotton: Cotton sheets are a traditional, and popular, choice. Cotton is breathable and wicks moisture away from the skin to help you stay cooler as you sleep. It is also longer lasting than some other materials. There are different types of cotton, including extra-smooth, long-fiber Egyptian cotton and organic cotton, which is more environmentally friendly.
- Linen: Linen sheets, which are made from flax fibers, are optimal for warmer weather. Breathable linen absorbs sweat and dries quickly to keep you cooler. While linen sheets may not be particularly soft when first purchased, they get softer with every wash.
- Lyocell: Lyocell sheets are made from the wood pulp of birch, eucalyptus, and oak trees. They are extremely soft and resist pilling. Like linen, lyocell is breathable and wicks moisture away to keep you cool. However, lyocell sheets are typically higher maintenance than other options and often require hand-washing. Lyocell is often referred to as Tencel, which is the brand name of the material.
- Silk: All-natural silk sheets are made from silkworm cocoons. Hypoallergenic, soft, and breathable, they come at a price. Pure silk sheets are very expensive and often more difficult to wash.
- Bamboo: Bamboo sheets are soft, smooth, breathable and long lasting. While bamboo itself is natural, bamboo sheets may contain other materials or chemicals that aren’t.
- Polyester: Polyester sheets are often a more economical option. They resist wrinkles and stains and may last for a long time. Polyester, however, is not breathable like many other materials, so the sheets often trap heat and may not be a good option for hot sleepers.
Thread count is the number of vertical and horizontal threads per square inch of fabric. Thread counts range from 50 to over 1,000. Sheets with a higher thread count are typically softer and usually more expensive. Luxury sheets, which are very soft and smooth, typically have the highest thread count and the heftiest price tags.
Most people find sheets with a thread count between 400 and 600 to be soft and comfortable, without costing a fortune. Sheets with a very high thread count may also be more delicate and tear or snag more easily.
Weave indicates whether the threads in a fabric are loosely or tightly woven together. Some common deep pocket sheet weaves include:
- Percale: A plain-weave fabric, percale is a tight weave of combed and carded cotton. Percale sheets are lightweight but tend to be crisper and less airy than other sheets.
- Sateen: Sateen weaves have more vertical than horizontal threads, which leaves a smooth and shiny finish. Though they look and feel great, they won’t last as long as percale.
- Microfiber: A microfiber weave is a tight weave of manufactured fibers. These sheets are incredibly soft, wrinkle resistant, hypoallergenic, and moderately water resistant. However, some microfiber sheets are not breathable, which might be uncomfortable for hot sleepers.
A deep pocket sheet’s fabric, thread count, and weave all contribute to its overall feel. Think about which feel would be most comfortable for you, and seek out sheets to accommodate that desire.
If you prefer a light and breathable feel, you may want to consider bamboo, lyocell, or linen sheets. On the other hand, if you want warm and fuzzy, consider flannel. Cotton percale sheets are a great choice for individuals looking for a crisp cotton sheet. Sateen has a silky smooth feel.
Fit and Size
It’s important to find deep pocket sheets that fit your specific mattress. While all deep pocket sheets are designed to fit thicker mattresses, they still vary in their exact measurements. Before you choose the best deep pocket sheets for your mattress, measure the height of your mattress and make sure it fits the sheets’ specifications.
In addition to considering the depth of the pocket, take care to purchase deep pocket sheets in the right size for your mattress. Deep pocket sheets are available for all standard mattress sizes (twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, and California king), but each manufacturer may not offer every size option.
Next, consider the breathability of each set of deep pocket sheets. Sheets that are more breathable allow for greater airflow, which helps you stay cool and comfortable as you sleep. Looser weaves and fabrics such as cotton, linen, lyocell, silk, and bamboo tend to be the most breathable.
During the cooler months, some people prefer less breathable sheets that hold more warmth. If you’re looking for sheets to keep you warmer in the winter, consider flannel or microfiber with a tighter weave.
Temperature-regulating sheets, often called cooling sheets, are designed to keep individuals from getting too warm when they sleep. Breathability, as mentioned above, is one important factor to consider when shopping for temperature-regulating deep pocket sheets.
Some manufacturers use specific fabrics or add special technology to enhance the temperature- regulating capabilities of their sheets. Cooling fabrics wick away moisture. Tencel is one of these fabrics and is a popular choice for cooling sheets. Other cooling sheets may feature special technology, such as phase change materials (PCM) that absorb heat to keep a body from getting too hot and release some back as the body cools to help maintain an optimal temperature for sleeping.
Ease of Care
Finally, consider the care instructions. Many sheets are machine washable and dryer safe, but some types, namely silk, do best with hand-washing and line-drying. Following a manufacturer’s care recommendations is crucial for keeping your sheets in good condition and increasing their lifespan. Before you purchase new sheets, make sure you read the care instructions and that you’re willing to follow them.
Our Top Picks
Based on extensive research and in consideration of the features outlined above, the following products are the top picks for the best deep pocket sheets. While these options all feature comfortable materials, they also take into account different fabrics, weaves, thread counts, and feels and include sheets that come in different sizes and colors to ensure each individual is able to find a set of deep pocket sheets that offers exactly what they’re looking for.
Feather & Stitch’s 100 percent cotton sheets have deep pockets with high-quality elastic to comfortably fit mattresses up to 18 inches deep. The 500 thread count sateen weave is made of long-staple cotton fibers. They’re crisp, like luxury hotel sheets. Breathable fabric helps regulate body temperature on both warm and cool nights. It also softens after each wash. Quality stitching and detailed hem styling add durability and style.
Choose from seven colors in full, queen, king, California king, and split-king sizes. Each set includes two pillowcases with an envelope closure. Machine wash in cold water and tumble dry on low.
Sweet Home’s sheet set fits mattresses up to 16 inches thick. The fitted sheet features tight-fitting elastic and elastic corner straps to ensure a proper fit that won’t slide out of place. With their 1,500 thread count, these microfiber sheets are super soft and comfortable.
Choose from a wide variety of 35 colors and prints in twin, twin XL, full, queen, short queen, king, and California king sizes. Each set includes a fitted sheet, a flat sheet, and four pillowcases for full-size mattresses (and two for twins). These sheets are hypoallergenic and washer- and dryer-safe.
CGK Unlimited’s extra-deep pocket sheets are great for mattresses or mattresses plus mattress toppers 18 to 24 inches thick. Made of microfiber, they’re soft, breathable, and comfortable.
Choose from 19 different color options in twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, California king, and split king sizes. Each set includes a fitted sheet, a flat sheet, and four pillowcases for full mattresses or two cases for twins. These sheets are machine washable and resist fading, shrinking, and tearing.
Bampure deep pocket sheets are made of 100 percent organic bamboo viscose. They are Oeko-Tex-certified safe and chemical-free. The sateen weave gives the sheets a silky feel that softens with every wash. High-quality elastic ensures a proper fit and prevents rips on mattresses up to 16 inches thick. Bamboo is breathable and durable as well as wrinkle resistant and odor resistant.
Choose from 12 different colors in twin, full, queen, king, and California king sizes. Each set includes one fitted sheet, one flat sheet, and two pillowcases for full mattresses (or one for twin sets).
LuxClub deep pocket bamboo sheets come in 42 different colors to match a range of decors and styles. Among the numerous options are light gray, cream, gold, lime, teal, salmon, mocha, denim, burgundy, and eggplant. Soft, smooth, and breathable bamboo wicks moisture away and helps keep sleepers cool.
Suitable for mattresses up to 18 inches deep, these sheets are available in seven different sizes: twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, California king, and split king. Twin sets include two pillowcases, and the others include four. Made from natural bamboo and featuring safe color dyes, these sheets are a friend of the environment, too.
Those looking for a set of deep pocket sheets with straightforward and simple care instructions should consider Great Bay Home’s microfleece sheets. It’s safe to wash these sheets in cold water on gentle and tumble them dry on low. They resist wrinkles, fading, shrinking, and pilling for truly worry-free care. The breathable-yet-cozy velvet keeps beds warm and cozy on cold nights.
These sheets come in twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, and California king sizes and comfortably fit over mattresses up to 17 inches deep. This set includes a fully elastic fitted sheet, a flat sheet, and two pillowcases for full-size mattresses or one for twins. Choose from nine different patterns, including snowflakes, trees, polar bear, moose, and lattice.
FAQs About Deep Pocket Sheets
Deep pocket sheets are the way to go for thicker mattresses. Below are the answers to consumers’ most common questions about these game-changing linens.
Q. How deep is a deep pocket fitted sheet?
The depth of a deep pocket fitted sheet can vary from brand to brand. Some deep pocket sheets may be only about 15 inches deep, while others may be 24 inches deep. Measure the height of your mattress (at the tallest part) to determine your needs.
Q. What is the difference between deep pocket and extra-deep pocket?
Standard deep pocket sheets are designed for mattresses that are up to 15 inches thick. Extra- deep pocket sheets fit mattresses between 16 and 22 inches thick or more.
Q. How do I wash and care for deep pocket sheets?
Consult with the manufacturer’s care instructions for the deep pocket sheets you purchase, as recommendations will vary. Many deep pocket sheets are machine washable, often on a cold water setting, and dryer safe, but some may require special care.