The Best Grill Brands of 2022
Purchase a grill worthy of your next backyard barbecue by going with one of these top brands.
The arrival of warm summer months affords better weather for backyard cookouts. For that, one needs a quality grill. With so many brands of grills on the market, it can be a challenge to pick the one that will have the cooking might and durability to serve as the centerpiece of a backyard barbecue for many years to come.
This guide will dig deep into the world of grilling to review some of the best grill brands on the market and identify what makes each a top-notch manufacturer.
About the Brand: Weber offers sturdy construction and innovative design features among its variety of grills that range from three burners to small portable options.
Price Range: $ to $$$
Weber, credited with inventing the classic kettle grill nearly 70 years ago when founder George Stephen was inspired by the shape of a metal buoy while working for Weber Brothers Metal Works, is based just outside Chicago in Palatine, Illinois. Today, the company is known for quality craftsmanship in not just its classic kettle grill but also its line of gas grills and, to a lesser extent, its pellet and electric grills.
Well regarded for their sturdy construction, Weber grills have a longer lifespan than other brands, as well as innovative design features that make them easier to use and maintain. Though Weber grills tend to be a little pricier than some brands, finding a product in the midrange grill market is certainly doable.
- Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill: Truth be told, there are many Weber grills—gas, charcoal, and even electric—that impress, but the Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill is the one that started it all. Sturdy porcelain enamel–coated steel construction ensures durability, and features such as a one-touch cleaning system, high-capacity ash catcher, hanging hook on the lid, and hooks integrated into the handles for hanging grill tools embody the build and design quality that Weber has become known for across its product lines. Get the Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill on Amazon for $194
- Weber Spirit II 3-Burner Liquid Propane Grill: With its porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grill that offers 529 square inches of cooking space on three burners, the propane grill has six tool hooks and two wheels. Get the Weber Spirit II 3-Burner Liquid Propane Grill on Amazon for $489
- Weber Smokey Joe 14-Inch Portable Grill: The black aluminum grill weighs 9.5 pounds and offers enough space to grill five burgers. Get the Weber Smokey Joe 14-Inch Portable Grill on Amazon for $34.92
Shop for more Weber grills at:
About the Brand: Affordability and variety are among the brand’s most desirable features from its grill collection.
Price Range: $ to $$
Headquartered in Columbus, Georgia, Char-Broil is one of the more prolific grill brands on the market. In addition to offering a broad range of grills—the company boasts an extensive line of gas options—its collection is quite affordable. Competing at the lower end of the price spectrum, Char-Broil gives its customers a significant bang for their buck with two- and four-burner gas grills that are, in some cases, hundreds of dollars cheaper than higher-end brands of similar size and setup.
Char-Broil is also one of the biggest innovators in infrared technology. In addition to selling numerous infrared gas grills, the company recently released infrared charcoal grills. Though Char-Broil’s grills may lack the heat output and quality build of more expensive models, they are a quality affordable alternative.
- Char-Broil Performance 4-Burner Gas Grill: This is a good example of what this manufacturer has to offer—a well-built albeit not high-end grill with ample burners and cooking space at an affordable price. Get the Char-Broil Performance 4-Burner Cart Style Gas Grill on Amazon for $369.99
- Char-Broil Commercial Stainless Steel 2-Burner Infrared Gas Grill: A two-burner liquid propane and natural gas infrared grill, this offers 325 square inches of cooking space that fits up to 18 burgers. Get the Char-Broil Commercial Stainless Steel 2-Burner Infrared Gas Grill at Lowe’s for $379.00
- Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Patio Bistro Electric Grill: With electric infrared cooking, this porcelain-coated 320-square-inch cooking grate can cook up to 12 hamburgers. It plugs into any 120-volt outlet. Get the Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Patio Bistro Electric Grill on Amazon for $274.60
Shop for more Char-Broil grills at:
About the Brand: Creator of the first pellet grill, the brand offers high-end wood-fired pellet grills and smokers.
Price Range: $$ to $$$$
Back in 1985, John Traeger created the first pellet grill. Featuring a motorized hopper that automatically loaded compressed sawdust pellets into the burn chamber, the grill was patented a year later. Traeger was the sole manufacturer of pellet grills for 20 years until its patent ran out. Today, Salt Lake City-based Traeger faces competition from other manufacturers that use its same design principle, but it is still considered the go-to brand when it comes to pellet grills and smokers. Though its grills are on the pricier side, Traeger is routinely lauded for quality pellet feeders with digital controls that allow for a high degree of temperature control and durable construction that outlasts other brands.
Today, Salt Lake City-based Traeger faces competition from other manufacturers that use its same design principle, but it is still considered the go-to brand when it comes to pellet grills and smokers. Though its grills are on the pricier side, Traeger is routinely lauded for quality pellet feeders with digital controls that allow for a high degree of temperature control and durable construction that outlasts other brands.
- Traeger Pro Series 34 Pellet Grill: This pellet grill is meticulously constructed with high-quality parts and fueled by all-natural hardwood pellets, and it embodies what Traeger is all about. Get the Traeger Pro Series 34 Pellet Grill at The Home Depot for $749.95
- Traeger Pro Wifi Pellet Grill and Smoker: Grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, and barbecue food in the 575 square inches of cooking space that can hold up to 16 burgers. Monitor and adjust cooking temperatures on a smartphone with the WIFIRE controller and Traeger app. Get the Traeger Pro Wifi Pellet Grill and Smoker at The Home Depot for $899.95
- Traeger Grills Ranger Portable Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker: This 60-pound portable pellet grill offers 184 square inches of cooking area on porcelain-coated grill grates. Get the Traeger Grills Ranger Portable Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker on Amazon for $429.95
Shop for more Traeger grills at:
About the Brand: A maker of gas heat appliances for indoors and outdoors, the brand is known for its gas-powered grills and smokers.
Price Range: $ to $$
Dyna-Glo’s success at manufacturing quality grills comes from the company’s 100-year history of designing and building various heating products, including gas space heaters and fireplaces. This expertise in gas heating largely explains why Dyna-Glo is highly regarded for its burners, which are known for their ability to produce excellent heat output while efficiently burning gas.
Though not as durable as other top brands, Dyna-Glo’s grills come equipped with innovative features, such as a high-heat sear burner for creating a perfect crust on steaks. They also tend to have larger cooking surfaces than other grill brands and are well regarded for their ability to maintain consistent temperatures. Dyna-Glo has even made inroads in charcoal with its line of barrel grills.
- Dyna-Glo 5-Burner Propane Gas Grill: With its numerous burners and searing ability, the propane gas grill demonstrates Dyna-Glo’s talent for designing well-made gas grills. It offers 623 square inches of cooking space, including its 150-square-inch warming rack. It includes a built-in thermometer and condiment shelf. Get the Dyna-Glo 5-Burner Propane Gas Grill at The Home Depot for $279
- Dyna-Glo 3-Burner Open Cart Propane Gas Grill: While most grills are offered in standard black and metal, this is a compact grill in blue. It has 310 square inches of cooking area and a 139-square-inch warming rack. Get the Dyna-Glo 3-Burner Open Cart Propane Gas Grill at The Home Depot for $129
- Dyna-Glo Signature Series Heavy-Duty Barrel Charcoal Grill: The shape of this grill allows the smoky charcoal flavor to better settle into the meat. With the offset smoker box that’s sold separately, this grill can also smoke meats. Get the Dyna-Glo Signature Series Barrel Charcoal Grill on Amazon for $192.56
Shop for more Dyna-Glo grills at:
About the Brand: The maker of affordable gas grills that use infrared heat technology also makes patio heaters and fire pits.
Price Range: $ to $$
You won’t find a charcoal grill with the name Nexgrill on it. Founded in 1993, Chino, California–based Nexgrill Industries Inc. specializes exclusively in gas-powered outdoor equipment, including grills, patio heaters, and firepits.
By focusing on one type of grill, Nexgrill is able to put all its efforts into gas grill innovations that set it apart from the herd, including searing side burners, multiple heat zones, infrared heating plates, and even customizable grid configurations. This all fits into the company’s name and mission statement to take grilling to the next level.
- Nexgrill 5-Burner Propane Gas Grill: A five-burner propane gas grill with a side burner and infrared technology is what Nexgrill is all about. Get the Nexgrill 5-Burner Propane Gas Grill at The Home Depot for $279
- Nexgrill Deluxe 2-Burner Propane Gas Grill: This red gas grill has 401 square inches of cooking space, two foldable side shelves, and a grease cup to make cleaning easier. Get the Nexgrill Deluxe 2-Burner Propane Gas Grill at The Home Depot for $349
- Nexgrill 2-Burner Portable Propane Gas Table Top Grill: Take this grill on the road with its lockable lid and foldable legs. Weighing 20 pounds, the grill can cook up to seven hamburgers and comes with a tool set. Get the Nexgrill 2-Burner Portable Propane Gas Table Top Grill at The Home Depot for $112.99
Shop for more Nexgrill grills at:
About the Brand: With a history of creating electric, gas, and charcoal smokers, the brand is offering a new innovative Gravity grill series.
Price Range: $ to $$$
Since its founding in 1973, Masterbuilt has largely made a name for itself by designing and manufacturing high-quality electric, gas, and charcoal smokers. Masterbuilt upped its game in 2020 when the company unveiled new technology that some consider a game-changer in the world of charcoal grills with the release of its Gravity line.
The Gravity series borrows from pellet smoker technology to create a system that automates the loading and cleaning of a charcoal grill, streamlining the lighting and cleaning process that can make using a charcoal grill unpleasant. The debut of Masterbuilt’s Gravity grill smoker combo earned the company numerous awards while boosting its position in the charcoal grilling market. So, while the company is still known for its smokers, it also offers cutting-edge charcoal grill technology.
- Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 Digital Charcoal Grill: With its automated coal loading and cleaning technology, the Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 is an example of this company’s ability to innovate. It reaches 225 degrees Fahrenheit in 7 minutes, and its hopper can hold more than 12 hours’ worth of charcoal. Get the Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 Digital Charcoal Grill at The Home Depot for $497
Shop for more Masterbuilt grills at:
About the Brand: Well known for its portable camping equipment, the brand makes portable grills ideal for camping and RVing.
Price Range: $ to $$
There may be no better-known name in the world of car camping and RVing than Coleman. The Chicago-based company has been making tents, coolers, lanterns, and a host of other camping equipment since its founding way back in 1900. Its line of gas grills fits into that niche as each model is designed to go on the road.
Coleman’s grills fold into compact sizes, with many models featuring wheels and pull handles that make them easy for the user to roll to and from a vehicle. They are also made of sturdy materials that can withstand the abuse of traveling in the back of a pickup truck or being rolled across a bumpy field. Like many of Coleman’s products, these grills are more affordable than other gas grills.
- Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-Up Propane Grill: With quick-fold legs and wheels, this grill embodies the company’s mission of supplying portable equipment for camping and RVing. Get the Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-Up Propane Grill on Amazon for $289.99
- Coleman Fold N Go + Propane Grill: This folding grill has a built-in handle, making it easy to take it along on a trip. It offers 105 square inches of cooking surface, an InstaStart button (which eliminates the need for a lighter), and the cooking surface is removable and dishwasher safe. Get the Coleman Fold N Go on Amazon for $88.40
Shop for more Coleman grills at:
About the Brand: Known for its affordability, convenient side burners, and quick heating, Kenmore offers finishes similar to those of high-end brands.
Price Range: $ to $$
While Kenmore’s line of gas grills may face an uncertain future due to the struggles of its parent company, Sears, for now, it continues to produce gas grills that are an excellent option for those who can’t afford the high price tag of some of the better-known brands. With Kenmore, one can count on ample space, with many models eclipsing 600 square inches of cooking space; multiple burners (side burners are a feature on almost all of Kenmore’s grills); and a fit and finish that’s on par with higher-end grills. Although Kenmore may not boast the durability of other brands, one would be hard-pressed to find gas grills this large with this many features at a lower price point.
With Kenmore, one can count on ample space, with many models eclipsing 600 square inches of cooking space; multiple burners (side burners are a feature on almost all of Kenmore’s grills); and a fit and finish that’s on par with higher-end grills. Although Kenmore may not boast the durability of other brands, one would be hard-pressed to find gas grills this large with this many features at a lower price point.
- Kenmore 4 Burner Propane Gas Grill: This is an excellent example of what Kenmore offers—a large cooking surface with many burners and convenient add-ons at a rock-bottom price point. Get the Kenmore 4 Burner Propane Gas Grill at The Home Depot for $479.99
- Kenmore 3-Burner Propane Gas Pedestal Grill: Offered in bold color options including teal, red, and azure, this three-burner propane grill can cook up to 33 burgers. Get the Kenmore 3-Burner Propane Gas Pedestal Grill at The Home Depot for $378.49
Shop for more Kenmore grills at:
About the Brand: Char-Griller makes barrel-style charcoal grills and dual gas/charcoal grills that are known for rugged steel construction at an affordable price.
Price Range: $ to $$
Atlanta-based Char-Griller has made a name for itself with its signature collection of barrel-style charcoal grills, which are valued for their durable steel construction and large cooking surfaces that eclipse just about any other charcoal grill in the industry.
While Char-Griller’s main focus is on charcoal, it does offer a few gas models. In fact, its Double Play, which features a gas and charcoal grill side by side on a single frame, is one of its most popular models. Char-Griller is also well regarded for the rugged steel construction of its grills, which it sells at an affordable price point.
- Char-Griller Double Play 3-Burner Gas and Charcoal Grill: The aptly named Double Play consists of a barrel charcoal grill and barrel gas grill set side by side. Get the Char-Griller Double Play 3-Burner Gas and Charcoal Grill at The Home Depot for $348
- Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Kooker Charcoal Barbecue Grill and Smoker: Offered in red, graphite, and blue, this 447-square-inch cooking surface is insulated and has a removable warming rack. Get the Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Kooker Charcoal Barbecue Grill and Smoker on Amazon for $588
Shop for more Char-Griller grills at:
About the Brand: A maker of kitchen tools and appliances, the brand makes stylish, affordable gas grills and high-end grills.
Price Range: $ to $$$
Grills are just one of the many cooking appliances that this more than 100-year-old company produces. KitchenAid manufactures both affordable gas grills and high-end built-in grills. While the company may be best known for its kitchenware and appliances, particularly its stand mixer, KitchenAid also manufactures solid, if not spectacular, grills.
While the heat output of KitchenAid grills may not rival those from brands that specialize in making grills, many have features typically found on more expensive models, including stainless steel burners and fireboxes, and side burners.
- KitchenAid’s 2-Burner Propane Gas Grill: This is one of the company’s most popular models and embodies the company’s goal of providing a quality gas grill at a low price. Get the KitchenAid 2-Burner Propane Gas Grill at The Home Depot for $299
- KitchenAid 4-Burner Built-in Propane Gas Island Grill: A built-in island gas grill offers 775 square inches of cooking space and is 30 inches wide to fit into outdoor kitchen islands. Get the KitchenAid 4-Burner Built-in Propane Gas Island Grill at The Home Depot for $899
Shop for more KitchenAid grills at:
How We Chose the Best Grill Brands
While the best grill brand can differ depending on the user, the brands chosen for this list have solid reputations for creating dependable grills that are available at multiple retailers. After considering dozens of popular grills from several retailers, we narrowed the field of products from each of the best brands to the top product selections based on a number of criteria including durability, performance, and versatility.
The needs of users can vary and depend on the available space, need for portability, and budget, so we have included the top product picks that range from tabletop options to freestanding grill stations that offer the ability to also smoke meat. We also included a few reputable grill options that include smart features and a few in stylish colors to suit the lifestyle and design needs of grill users.