Doing laundry can be a complicated and time-consuming task. Apartment dwellers often have to rely on their building’s laundry facilities or search for “nearest laundromat near me” when they run out of clean clothes. Even homeowners with one of the best washers and dryers may not have time or energy to get through loads of laundry after work or on the weekends. A home laundry service is a convenient alternative to doing laundry yourself. A laundry cleaning service will pick up your clothes, wash and fold them, and deliver them back within a few days. Some laundry pickup services even provide mending, leather cleaning, shoe cleaning and repair, wedding dress preservation, and alterations in addition to wash-and-fold and dry cleaning services. Before searching online for “laundry delivery service near me,” consider our recommendations for the best laundry delivery services.
- BEST OVERALL: Tide Cleaners
- RUNNER-UP: Lapels
- BEST MOBILE EXPERIENCE: Press
- BEST MEMBERSHIP PROGRAM: ByNext
- ALSO CONSIDER: Rinse
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Laundry Delivery Service for You
There are a few factors to consider when choosing a laundry delivery service. These can include service area, laundry services offered, pickup and drop-off scheduling, turnaround time, pricing structure, and eco-friendly practices.
Some laundry delivery services have a service area that spans the country, while others provide laundry cleaning to just a few major cities. It’s important for customers to start their search by finding the laundry delivery services that are available in the area.
Laundry Services Offered
Wash-and-fold and dry cleaning are the most common laundry delivery services. Some companies provide additional services, such as mending, leather cleaning, shoe cleaning and repair, and wedding dress cleaning and preservation. Some companies offer home cleaning. Companies that offer these amenities can help customers streamline the process of hiring and scheduling services.
Pickup and Drop-off Scheduling
For many services, customers can schedule pickup and drop-off times or choose from predetermined pickup and delivery windows. Some laundry cleaning and delivery companies offer 24/7 drop-off and pickup from local lockers, kiosks, or drop boxes. Customers should think about what format would work best with their lifestyle. Those who commute to an office might find drop-off to be more convenient than scheduling a pickup at home, but those who work from home might find dropping off laundry at another location to be inconvenient. Customers can search for the company that provides the pickup and drop-off options that work best for their needs.
Many laundry cleaning services provide a turnaround time of between 1 and 3 days. Some offer an overnight rush delivery, sometimes at an additional fee or for subscription members. Customers should evaluate a company’s turnaround time and ask if there are any situations that might result in longer turnaround times, such as weekends or holidays.
Pricing per pound is the most common pricing structure for wash-and-fold services. Some laundry cleaning companies charge a flat rate per bag of clothes and specialty items, such as comforters or bath mats. Clothing that needs to be dry cleaned is typically priced per item. Customers may have to get in contact with a local branch of the laundry delivery service to determine the local rates, as not every company posts its prices online.
Customers looking for dry cleaning may want to prioritize eco-friendly perchloroethylene-free (PERC) solvents. PERC is a common dry cleaning solvent that is a known neurotoxicant, persistent environmental pollutant, potential human carcinogen, and reproductive toxicant. PERC is the substance that produces the classic “dry cleaning” odor. Many dry cleaning services are switching to PERC cleaning alternatives for the long-term health concerns of the people that work in the industry. PERC-free solvents are also healthier for consumers.
Our Top Picks
We researched laundry delivery services and narrowed down our picks to the following best offerings. Here are our top choices for the best laundry delivery services.
Why It Made the Cut: Tide is a notable name in laundry, and with nearly 200 stores and thousands of lockers across the country, Tide Cleaners is a standout choice for the best laundry delivery service.
Tide laundry service offers 24/7 laundry drop-off and pickup at kiosks, lockers, drop boxes, or at one of 200 retail locations in 22 states. Tide Cleaners provides shirt laundry, wash-and-fold, dry cleaning, outerwear cleaning, shoe cleaning and repair, cleaning for household items and bedding, and alteration services. Since every Tide Cleaners is locally owned, individual services and pricing vary from location to location, so pricing information is not readily available on the Tide Cleaners website. There is a store location finder on the website, although it can be slow to load and can show incorrect location details. The turnaround time from drop off to pickup or delivery is between 2 and 3 days.
Each Tide Cleaners location boasts a special four-step cleaning process that uses an exclusive Tide Diamond Formula detergent, Downy fabric conditioner, color-safe bleach, and proprietary whiteness-enhancing technology. Upon laundry arrival, the company checks clothing for stains, loose threads, or missing buttons. Laundry technicians will identify the best treatment for the items, sort according to color and material, inspect the clothing before washing, press, and inspect one more time to ensure the cleanest clean. The clothes are then hung or folded before they are returned to the customer. Some locations offer a 1-day service where if clothes are in by 9 a.m., they’ll be out by 5 p.m. Before searching online for “dry cleaners and alterations near me,” customers will want to see if Tide Cleaners is available in their area.
- Service area: 22 states
- Laundry services offered: Dry cleaning, shirt laundry, wash and fold, wedding dress cleaning, outerwear, alterations, shoe cleaning and repair
- Turnaround time: 2 or 3 days
- Wash-and-fold pricing: Varies by location
- Exclusive four-step cleaning process
- Thorough seven-point inspection process
- 24/7 dirty laundry drop-off available
- Same-day dry cleaning services available at many locations
- Noteworthy specialty services include wedding dress cleaning, alterations, and shoe cleaning and repair
- Website can be somewhat user-unfriendly
- Pricing information is not readily available
Why It Made the Cut: Lapels offers professional cleaning for clothing, shoes, household items, comforters, leather, suede, and rugs with flat-rate and pay-by-the-pound pricing options for customers in 20 states.
Lapels has locations in 20 states and offers extensive cleaning services beyond traditional wash and fold and dry cleaning, including leather cleaning, rug cleaning, and wedding dress preservation. Customers can choose from flat-rate or by-the-pound pricing for wash-and-fold services, depending on the location’s pricing and what items customers need laundered. Customers will want to inquire about the turnaround time when booking services, as the information isn’t specified online. Lapels customers are automatically enrolled in a rewards program: For every dollar a customer spends, they will receive credit toward a future dry cleaning order. Customers can save more money and sign up for a monthly email coupon and they will receive clothing care tips and refer-a-friend savings.
- Service area: 20 states
- Laundry services offered: Wash and fold, dry cleaning, leather cleaning, shoe repair, rug cleaning, wedding dress preservation
- Turnaround time: Not specified
- Wash-and-fold pricing: Flat-rate and pay-by-the-pound rates vary by location
- Flat-rate and pay-by-the-pound options
- Noteworthy specialty services include shoe cleaning and repair, leather cleaning, rug cleaning, and wedding dress preservation
- Automatic enrollment in rewards program
- Turnaround time not specified
Why It Made the Cut: The Press mobile app is a standout for busy people who are looking to save time and book laundry pickup and delivery while on the go.
For customers who prefer to schedule laundry pickup and delivery via their smartphones, Press is a service to check out. Press offers wash and fold, dry cleaning, mending, and wedding dress preservation for a service area that includes 21 states and Washington, D.C. It provides convenient order scheduling online or via a streamlined, easy-to-use mobile app. And Press picks up, cleans, and delivers laundry in as little as 24 hours. One unique perk of using Press is customers can donate clothing to the Salvation Army without having to visit a donation center—Press will pick up the clothes and donate them for the customer. Press outsources to local laundry cleaning partners and customers cannot verify the quality of the cleaners beforehand, so they may get variable results. But all of Press’s cleaning partners use eco-friendly and PERC-free dry cleaning solvents.
- Service area: 21 states and Washington, D.C.
- Laundry services offered: Wash and fold, dry cleaning, wedding dress preservation, mending
- Turnaround time: 1 or 2 days
- Wash-and-fold pricing: Varies by location
- Convenient order scheduling available online and on mobile app
- Noteworthy specialty services include wedding dress preservation and mending
- Pickup service offered for Salvation Army donations
- Laundry outsourced to local cleaning partners
Why It Made the Cut: ByNext and its Reserve membership program offer practical savings with a discount on every order, no service fees, free hang dry, and free delivery.
ByNext offers dry cleaning, wash-and-fold services, alterations, tailoring, and residential and office cleaning services to a limited service area of New York; New Jersey; Washington, D.C.; and Los Angeles. ByNext’s Reserve membership program includes a discount on every service, waived service fees, free delivery with a $20 minimum, and, depending on the membership package, up to five pieces of clothing hang dried for free.
Customers can choose from three membership package options that cover 3, 6, or 12 months, with up to $600 in annual savings. The turnaround time from pickup to delivery is 1 or 2 days, with overnight rush delivery available for an additional fee. Customers also have the option to drop off their laundry at one of 20 retail locations with pickup available after 6 p.m. the next day. Wash-and-fold pricing starts around $1.36 per pound for Reserve members, but the pricing varies by location, so the total cost can get relatively expensive for customers living in certain neighborhoods. ByNext also provides house and office cleaning services, which is a convenient option for customers to book multiple cleaning services through one platform.
- Service area: New York; New Jersey; Washington, D.C.; and Los Angeles
- Laundry services offered: Wash and fold, dry cleaning, alterations, residential cleaning, office cleaning
- Turnaround time: 1 or 2 days; overnight rush delivery available for a fee
- Wash-and-fold pricing: Starting at $1.36 per pound for Reserve members
- Reserve membership can save customers up to $600 per year
- Residential and office cleaning services also offered
- Overnight rush delivery service available for a fee
- Wash-and-fold pricing can become relatively expensive
- Services only available in select metropolitan areas
Why It Made the Cut: With its energy-efficient, cold water only washing procedure, Rinse is another top pick for laundry delivery services.
Rinse laundry services include dry cleaning, wash and fold, hang dry, leather cleaning, mending, and clothing donations to a limited service area that includes eight select metropolitan areas. The Rinse Repeat membership program starts at $60 for one bag of clothes per month and includes $1.39 per pound pricing for wash-and-fold service and free next-day delivery. Rinse Repeat customers can enjoy no additional fees, no minimum order requirements, and unlimited bag rollover. Pay-as-you-go customers can expect to pay $2.25 per pound for wash-and-fold services, a $7.75 service fee per order, a $5 health and safety fee per order, and a $5 next-day delivery fee per order. The turnaround time is a relatively long 3 or 4 days. It’s also important to note that Rinse outsources its laundry services to local establishments, so customers may see varying results from market to market. But Rinse does prioritize eco-friendly practices, as each local laundry business cleans clothes in cold water using energy-efficient machines.
- Service area: San Francisco; New York City; Los Angeles; Washington, D.C.; Chicago; Boston; San Jose; and Oakland metro areas
- Laundry services offered: Wash and fold, dry cleaning, hang dry, clothing donations, leather cleaning, mending
- Turnaround time: Next-day delivery for Rinse Repeat customers; 3 or 4 days for Pay-As-You-Go customers
- Wash-and-fold pricing: $1.39 per pound for Rinse Repeat customers; $2.25 per pound for Pay-As-You-Go customers
- Energy-efficient laundry washing
- Noteworthy specialty services include mending and leather cleaning
- Relatively long turnaround time of 3 or 4 days
- Free delivery only available for Rinse Repeat customers
- Pay-As-You-Go orders subject to $5 health and safety fee
- Services only available in select metropolitan areas
- Laundry outsourced to local cleaning partners
Based on its service area, variety of services offered, extensive cleaning and inspection process, 24/7 dirty laundry drop-off availability, and same-day service options, Tide Cleaners is our top pick for best laundry delivery services. With its rewards program and flexible pricing structure, Lapels is an excellent runner-up.
How We Chose the Best Laundry Delivery Services
To choose the best laundry delivery services, we considered various factors to determine our top picks. We focused on what type of laundry services are offered and if additional services, such as rug cleaning, shoe cleaning and repair, or wedding dress preservation, were available. We looked at the size of the service area, pricing structure, pickup and delivery options, use of environmentally friendly practices and products, ease of use for websites and apps, attention to detail, quick turnaround times, rewards programs, and membership perks. Each company provides a much-needed service, has an excellent reputation, and has satisfied customers.
Before You Use the Best Laundry Delivery Service for You
Household chores can eat up a lot of time during the week, and doing laundry may be the most time-consuming. Even customers who have their own washing machines and dryers may opt to outsource their laundry chores to a professional laundry delivery service. Before sending out clothes, towels, and sheets to a laundry cleaning service, here are a few factors to consider.
- What is the turnaround time?
- What is the company’s loss or damage policy?
- What is the company’s protocol for pickup, treatment, cleaning, and delivery?
- Does the company provide cleaning solution alternatives for sensitive skin?
- Are there hang-dry options for delicate items that shouldn’t go into the dryer?
- What type of pickup and delivery scheduling options does the service have?
- Is there enough laundry to make the service worthwhile? (Many companies have order minimums of $20 or $30. These companies may not be ideal for someone with only a few items to launder at once.)
Cost of Using the Best Laundry Delivery Service for You
For many people, the convenience and time saved is worth the price of laundry delivery services. For some companies, the overall pricing structure varies from location to location—major metropolitan centers typically will have higher prices since the overall cost of living is higher. The price per pound ranges between $1 and $3. Some companies offer membership pricing per bag of laundry, and many companies add service and delivery fees and have order minimums of $20 or $30. To save money, customers can take advantage of rewards programs and membership plans.
The Advantages of Using the Best Laundry Delivery Service for You
Using a laundry delivery service can free up the time that would be spent sorting, washing, drying, and folding laundry. For people who don’t have access to a washer and dryer, a laundry service is extremely helpful. Here are a few advantages of using one of the best laundry delivery services.
- Using a laundry delivery service frees up time so customers can spend it doing other things.
- Customers can enjoy a professional level of cleanliness.
- For customers without a washer and dryer, laundry delivery services are a convenient way to do laundry without leaving the home.
- Efficient and powerful commercial washing machines and dryers can handle large loads of laundry in a shorter amount of time.
- Commercial machines typically use less water and are usually more environmentally friendly than smaller household ones.
- Many laundry delivery services provide additional cleaning, mending, repair, and alteration services for one-stop shopping.
- Professional cleaning solutions provide better stain removal and result in whiter whites and brighter colors.
Choosing a laundry delivery service can be a challenge. Here are a few frequently asked questions regarding laundry cleaning services that can help customers decide on the best services for their needs and budget.
Q. How do laundry delivery services work?
Laundry delivery services will pick up the clothes, dry clean or wash and fold them, and deliver the clothes back to the customer’s home. Some companies will deliver to a workplace or have the option for customers to drop off and pick up laundry at a retail location.
Q. How much do laundry delivery services cost?
On average, wash-and-fold services range from $1 to $3 per pound. Many services provide free pickup and delivery, although others will charge extra for those services.
Q. How much should I tip for laundry delivery?
It’s common for customers to tip between $3 and $5 per order, depending on the amount of laundry.
Q. Is a laundry delivery service worth it?
Those who decide to use laundry delivery services say the benefits outweigh the cost of the service. Many enjoy the peace of mind that comes from having a professional take care of the laundry. Others cite the money, water, and energy that they save from not buying laundry products and supplies and not doing multiple loads of laundry at home.
Q. Are laundry delivery services available 24/7?
There are some laundry delivery companies that offer 24/7 services, but this varies from company to company. Be sure to double check the pickup and delivery options for the laundry delivery service you choose.
Q. Do laundry delivery services work on holidays?
This varies from service to service. Always check with the laundry delivery company regarding holiday hours.