A reliable washer and dryer can free folks from the time and tedium of weekly trips to the laundromat. Yet with so many of these appliances on the market now, anyone searching for a new washer and dryer may be feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the different models, capacities, and features to choose from. Use this guide to learn more about what to prioritize when shopping to select the best washer and dryer for a laundry room.
- BEST OVERALL: Samsung Bespoke WF53BB8900AT Washer and DVE53BB8700T Dryer
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Amana NTW4516FW Washer and NED4655EW Dryer
- BEST TOP-LOAD: Maytag MVW5035MW Washer and MGDC465HW Dryer
- BEST FRONT-LOAD: Samsung WV60A9900AV/A5 Washer and DVE60A9900V/A3 Dryer
- BEST LARGE-CAPACITY: LG WM9500HKA Washer and DLEX9500K Dryer
- BEST COMPACT: Whirlpool WET4024HW Laundry Center
- BEST SMART: LG WM3998HBA Washer and Dryer
- BEST ALL-IN-ONE: GE GFQ14ESSNWW Ventless Electric Washer Dryer Combo
- BEST PORTABLE: Giantex Portable Washing Machine
- BEST LAUNDRY CENTER: LG Electronics WKEX200HWA Single Unit WashTower
- BEST STACKABLE: LG WSEX200HNA Studio WashTower Laundry Center
How We Chose the Best Washers and Dryers
To select the best washer and dryer sets available, it was necessary to conduct extensive research into more than 30 products. We compared the highlights, drawbacks, and detailed specifications of each washer and dryer set. We narrowed down potential choices by contrasting and comparing the various types of washer and dryer sets, including front-load, top-load, stacked, stackable, side-by-side, and even combo machines that are capable of both washing and drying in a single unit.
The size and capacity of each machine was also important for determining whether the product was better suited for a house, apartment, dorm, or RV. Products that featured a wide variety of wash cycles or helpful smart technology were typically preferred over more basic models, though budget friendliness and energy efficiency were also kept in sight during the selection process.
Our Top Picks
The featured picks for the best washer and dryer sets are outlined below. The criteria briefly outlined above were used to find top-quality washers and dryers of different types and price points to match the needs of each user.
Rely on the smart features of the Samsung Bespoke washer and dryer to tackle both small and large laundry loads. Made with a flat-panel design in three sleek finishes, the front-load washer has an AI OptiWash function that senses the soil level required for a load and adjusts accordingly. The washer also boasts an Auto Dispense function that stores over 32 loads of detergent and/or softener for worry-free washes.
The dryer has an electric construction that is eco-friendly and energy efficient while offering optimal features like the Super Speed Dry, which can dry a full load in 30 minutes, and the AI Smart Dial, which recommends the best cycle for any load. For added convenience, both of these models are Wi-Fi compatible and adjustable through the SmartThings app.
The washer has a 5.3-cubic-foot capacity and the dryer has a 7.6-cubic-foot capacity—both ample enough to handle large loads. Yet these two models can be stacked for added convenience and to save space.
- Type: Washer: front-load; dryer: front-load
- Capacity: Washer: 5.3 cubic feet; dryer: 7.6 cubic feet
- Dimensions: Washer: 38.75 inches high by 27 inches wide by 34.5 inches deep; dryer: 38.75 inches high by 27 inches wide by 31.44 inches deep
- Automatic features integrated into both machines, including AI OptiWash, Auto Dispense, Super Speed Dry, and AI Smart Dials
- Wi-Fi compatible; loads can be checked or adjusted via the SmartThings app
- Dryer has an electric construction; suitable for the eco-conscious consumer
- Large capacities can take on both small and large loads
- Mount must be purchased separately if users choose to mount this model
Get the Samsung Bespoke washer and dryer at Lowe’s (washer and dryer), The Home Depot (washer and dryer), Best Buy (washer and dryer), or Appliances Connection (washer only).
Those hoping to save money should consider this Amana washer and dryer pair. The top-load washer included in the set has a 3.5-cubic-foot capacity. It features a dual-action agitator that rolls clothing through the wash basket’s base to remove dirt and stains. Choose from eight wash cycles, five temperature settings, an extra rinse option, and a deep-water wash option. This washer has a high-quality porcelain tub.
Amana’s 6.5-cubic-foot electric dryer uses sensor technology to fully dry items without overdrying them. It also boasts a wrinkle-prevention setting that will keep tumbling the load periodically to keep wrinkles from forming. The door on this model is reversible to accommodate different laundry room layouts.
- Type: Washer: top-load; dryer: front-load
- Capacity: Washer: 3.5 cubic feet; dryer: 6.5 cubic feet
- Dimensions: Washer: 42 inches high by 27.5 inches wide by 27 inches deep; dryer: 44 inches high by 29 inches wide by 27.75 inches deep
- Suitable for smaller households; smaller capacities provide adequate room for small- to medium-size loads
- Dual-action agitator in the washer designed to remove tough dirt and stains
- Sensor drying technology automatically dries clothing and linens to the ideal level
- Only basic features available; no smart features integrated
- Bland aesthetic design may not be ideal for some users’ preferences
Get the Amana washer and dryer at Lowe’s (washer and dryer), Best Buy (washer only), or Appliances Connection.
Maytag’s 4.5-cubic-foot top-load washer is engineered to thoroughly clean clothing items and remove stains. It features a 360-degree Powerwash agitator with specialized wash actions to remove stains and dirt from clothing and linens.
Other key features of this model include the 11 wash cycles, electronic controls, and a unique cycle that keeps the interior of the washer clean. The built-in water faucet also aids in prewashes, spot treatments, and soaking.
The 7-cubic-foot gas dryer from Maytag complements the washer highlighted above. This model features a heavy-duty motor that allows the dryer to efficiently dry large loads. It employs moisture sensing to properly dry each load and offers a wrinkle-control option that will continue tumbling a completed load to keep wrinkles from forming. There are a total of 12 drying cycles to choose from to meet the needs of different fabric types.
- Type: Washer: top-load; dryer: front-load
- Capacity: Washer: 4.5 cubic feet; dryer: 7 cubic feet
- Dimensions: Washer: 40.87 inches high by 27.75 inches wide by 27 inches deep; dryer: 43 inches high by 29 inches wide by 28.25 inches deep
- Heavy-duty motor; can work hard for demanding households with large laundry loads
- Moisture-sensing and wrinkle-control features keep clothing smooth and intact
- Powerwash agitator improves stain removal, an asset for families with young children
- Only the washer is top-loading; bending while loading may not be ideal for some users
- Plain aesthetic design; no smart features or sleek look
Get the Maytag washer and dryer at Appliances Connection (washer and dryer), Lowe’s (washer only), or The Home Depot (washer only).
Talk about convenience! Both machines in the Samsung Total Capacity washer and dryer can function as top- and front-loaders. Front-load washers and dryers are appealing as they’re easy to fill and empty while allowing saving space when stacked. Both units have Wi-Fi connectivity for quick checks and adjustments with the SmartThings app, and both are Energy Star certified to help save money on utility bills.
The 6-cubic-foot front load washing machine includes features like FlexWash, which uses dual washers for deep cleaning; an AI-powered Smart Dial for ease of use; and a Super Speed Wash for clean clothes in 28 minutes. The 7.5-cubic-foot dryer boasts FlexDry, a gentle yet effective function for drying for sensitive linens; an AI-powered Smart Dial; Super Speed Dry for dry clothes in 30 minutes; and the Steam Sanitize+ function for removing 99.9 percent of germs and bacteria.
- Type: Washer: top- or front-load; dryer: top- or front-load
- Capacity: Washer: 6 cubic feet; dryer: 7.5 cubic feet
- Dimensions: Washer: 46 inches high by 27 inches wide by 34 inches deep; dryer: 46 inches high by 27 inches wide by 32.5 inches deep
- Very large capacities are well suited for big families with a lot of laundry
- Both the washer and dryer can be loaded from the top or the front
- AI Smart Dials allow for ample user-friendliness; can also be adjusted through the SmartThings app
- Energy-Star certified models are eco-friendly and reduce power consumption
- Large constructions take up a lot of space and may not fit well in all laundry rooms
- Front-load washers and dryers may be tricky for people with limited mobility to load or unload
Get the Samsung Total Capacity washer and dryer at Lowe’s (washer and dryer), The Home Depot (washer and dryer), or Best Buy (washer and dryer).
Larger families need a heavy-duty washer and dryer to tackle ample loads with stubborn stains and get the job done quickly. The LG Large Capacity washer and dryer are both up to the task. The 5.8-cubic-foot front-load washing machine boasts TurboWash technology to complete loads in 30 minutes; a shock-resistant LED display; and steam technology for odors, wrinkles, and tough dirt. Plus, the door is contoured for an extra 6-degree tilt while loading and unloading.
The 9-cubic-foot dryer features TurboSteam technology for reducing wrinkles and odors, a dual LED display, and a sensor dry system to automatically dry clothes perfectly. For added convenience, this model has a stainless steel drum that will not rust and a FlowSense duct-clogging indicator to prevent household fires and malfunctions.
Both the washer and dryer have Wi-Fi connectivity controlled through the SmartThinQ app and are compatible with Alexa and Google Home. Plus, both are LG SideKick compatible for dual washer and dryer capability.
- Type: Washer: front-load; dryer: front-load
- Capacity: Washer: 5.8 cubic feet; dryer: 9 cubic feet
- Dimensions: Washer: 41.19 inches high by 29.63 inches wide by 34.06 inches deep; dryer: 40.88 inches high by 29 inches wide by 33.39 inches deep
- Large capacities for both washer and dryer set allow for large loads to be cleaned quickly
- LED displays integrated for adjusting cycles; can also be controlled via SmartThinQ app
- Both the washer and dryer have steaming functions to remove odors, stains, and wrinkles
- Both the washer and dryer are compatible with LG SideKick
- Front-load washers and dryers may be challenging to load and unload for some users
- LG SideKick attachments are sold separately; may not be ideal for some users
Get the LG large-capacity washer and dryer at Lowe’s (washer and dryer), The Home Depot (washer and dryer), or Best Buy (washer and dryer).
Whirlpool’s electric laundry center offers an ideal solution for people who are tight on space and require a compact washer and dryer set. This stacked unit includes a 1.6-cubic-foot top-loading washer and a 3.4-cubic-foot dryer. The washer features a stainless steel wash basket that helps keep clothing and linens from snagging. It offers six wash cycles, three temperature settings, and an automatic bleach dispenser.
The glass lid allows users to monitor the status of a load of laundry without opening the lid. The lid also features slow-close technology for smooth operation.
The dryer in this set uses sensory technology to determine when clothing and linens are dry, eliminating concerns about overdrying items. There are four drying cycles to choose from with this model.
- Type: Stacked
- Capacity: Washer: 1.6 cubic feet; dryer: 3.4 cubic feet
- Dimensions: 74.25 inches high by 23.88 inches wide by 26.63 inches deep
- Compact size ideally suited for small homes and laundry room spaces
- Easy to load and unload; front-loading dryer and top-loading washer are close together
- Moisture-sensing drying cycles automatically dry clothes quickly and efficiently
- Only basic features available; not Wi-Fi compatible and limited smart features
- Bland aesthetic design may not be ideal for some users’ preferences
Get the Whirlpool washer and dryer at Lowe’s, The Home Depot, Best Buy, or Appliances Connection.
Those who want to do laundry faster and smarter may wish to check out this all-in-one unit. The LG Smart washer/dryer does both duties in its 4.5-cubic-foot capacity drum—no need to swap laundry from one machine to another—and it boasts Wi-Fi and smart-home capability for operating with SmartThinQ, Alexa, and Google Assistant.
This machine features 14 integrated wash cycles, TurboWash technology that cleans clothes in just 30 minutes, 6Motion technology with six different wash motions, and ventless condensing drying. There’s also a child-safety-lock function.
- Type: Front-load
- Capacity: 4.5 cubic feet
- Dimensions: 39 inches high by 27 inches wide by 30.25 inches deep
- Compact all-in-one unit saves space and doesn’t require laundry to be transferred between 2 machines
- W-Fi compatibility allows the cycles to be monitored and adjusted with SmartThinQ, Alexa, and Google Assistant
- Comes with ample cleaning features: TurboWash, 6Motion technology, and ventless condensing drying
- Suitable for homes with small laundry spaces; compact size can fit many areas
- Dryer may take longer than some comparable options; may not be ideal for large families
Get the LG smart washer and dryer at Appliances Connection.
This all-in-one electric washer/dryer combo from GE makes it possible to complete a load of laundry from start to finish in just one machine. The 2.4-cubic-foot combo model offers a compact size that is ideal for people who are tight on space. Unlike most other dryers, this model does not need to be vented outside: It uses a condensing drying system so it can be placed in the most convenient location without needing to worry about access to a dryer vent.
The washer/dryer combo offers automatic dispensers for detergent, fabric softener, and bleach. It also features a last-minute add-a-garment option that will unlock the door to let a forgotten item be tossed in the wash. The auto-dry feature selects the dryer settings automatically based on the chosen wash cycles. Other noteworthy features include the steam wash and sanitize cycles, five soil-level settings, five wash temperatures, and five spin speeds.
- Type: Washer and dryer combo
- Capacity: 2.4 cubic feet
- Dimensions: 33.25 inches high by 23.5 inches wide by 25.75 inches deep
- All-in-one design means no transferring clothing from machine to machine
- No dryer vent required; unit can be placed anywhere it fits in the home
- Automatic dry cycle selection sets the ideal drying cycle based on the chosen wash cycle
- Steam wash cycle integrated to remove stains, odors, and wrinkles
- Cannot wash and dry simultaneously; may take longer to fully clean multiple loads
- Small capacity compared to similar options; may not be ideal for large families
Get the GE washer and dryer at Best Buy, The Home Depot, or Appliances Connection.
This portable washing machine and dryer combo is an excellent option for adventurous folks who take long road trips in an RV. At just 16.9 inches deep by 16.9 inches wide by 29.5 inches high, it’s also a suitable choice for the campsite or a student dorm. The top-loading washer/dryer combo is capable of washing a load of about 8 pounds.
The automatic wash and dry cycle of this impressive machine can be set to one of five different programs. The washer/dryer doesn’t require venting. Simply plug the machine in, connect the water hose, and make sure that the drainage tube is directed to an appropriate drain. However, the dryer is spin-dry only—there is no heat in the drying cycle to help water evaporate.
- Type: Washer and dryer combo
- Capacity: 8 pounds
- Dimensions: 29.5 inches high by 16.9 inches wide by 16.9 inches deep
- 5 automatic wash programs to suit varying degrees of deep cleaning
- Easy to move, lift, and otherwise maneuver; perfect for apartments, RVs, camping, and more
- Built-in pump and drainage tube allow for dirty water to be emptied with ease
- No venting required; can be placed wherever it is needed
- Small capacity compared to other washers and dryers; may not be ideal for some users
- Spin-dry function only; clothes are not heated and wrinkles may be left behind
Get the Giantex washing machine at Amazon.
The LG Electronics WashTower is a single unit featuring a front-loading 4.5-cubic-foot washer beneath a 7.4-cubic-foot electric dryer. Its stacked design offers a compact solution for laundry closets and other snug spaces. The control panel is conveniently located between the washer and dryer, allowing easy access to choose a cycle and start the machine.
This Energy Star-certified model also features ThinQ smart technology that lets users start and stop wash or dry cycles remotely or monitor the progress of laundry loads. This laundry center is also compatible with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant to allow for voice-control options. The washer and dryer feature tempered-glass doors for durability and a stylish appearance.
Other key features of this laundry center include the NeveRust stainless steel tubs, wrinkle-control setting, TubClean self-cleaning cycle, and TrueBalance anti-vibration system to reduce vibrations and noise. The FlowSense duct clogging and lint filter indicators alert users when the filter or ducts need to be cleaned.
- Type: Stacked washer and dryer
- Capacity: Washer: 4.5 cubic feet; dryer: 7.4 cubic feet
- Dimensions: 74.38 inches high by 27 inches wide by 30.38 inches deep
- Compact design saves floor space; can fit into most laundry rooms
- Works with ThinQ smart technology for remote control via smartphone or smart-home assistants
- Energy Star-certified efficiency keeps the energy bill low; electric dryer is eco-friendly
- Self-cleaning cycle keeps the interior of the washer and dryer clean
- The doors are not reversible; may not be ideal for some users’ preferences
Get the LG Electronics WashTower washer and dryer at Lowe’s, The Home Depot, Best Buy, or Appliances Connection.
This stackable washing machine and dryer from LG makes an ideal solution for small laundry spaces. The LG Studio WashTower has an easy-to-reach center control panel, comes in electric or gas versions, and features tempered-glass doors that provide a sleek, up-to-date appearance.
The 5-cubic-foot washing machine comes with a TurboWash360 function that cleans a load in under 30 minutes and a SpeedWash cycle that gets small loads clean in just 15 minutes. There’s also an Allergiene Cycle to remove 95 percent of dander and dust. The 7.4-cubic-foot dryer comes with a TurboSteam function for tackling odors, stains, and wrinkles. The whole laundry center can also be controlled with the ThinQ app for check-ins and adjustments.
- Type: Washer: front-load; dryer: front-load
- Capacity: Washer: 5 cubic feet; dryer: 7.4 cubic feet
- Dimensions: 79.34 inches high by 27 inches wide by 32.74 inches deep
- Compact footprint in the laundry room; large-capacity machines but won’t take up space
- Easy-to-reach center control panel allows for easy adjusting; also compatible with the ThinQ app
- Features many useful washing and drying functions including TurboWash360, Allergiene Cycle, SpeedWash, and TurboSteam
- Dryer has fewer functions than comparable models; may not suit some users’ needs
Get the LG Studio washer and dryer at The Home Depot, Best Buy, or Appliances Connection.
What to Consider When Choosing a Washer and Dryer
When shopping for the best washer and dryer sets, keep in mind the type, size, capacity, wash cycles, dryer cycles, energy-efficiency levels, and smart technology. Thinking about which features are most important helps consumers focus the search.
There are several types of washer and dryer sets, and choosing the one that best suits the space and the household is key. They include front-load, top-load, stacked, stackable, side-by-side, and combo sets.
- Front-load washers often offer a larger capacity than top-load washers, with some having a capacity of up to 6 cubic feet. Front-loading washers are more energy efficient and don’t require as much water to wash a load of laundry. They also use a cleaning motion that is gentle on fabric and seams. However, front-load washers can be more expensive and often take longer to wash. They also require more care and maintenance. Nearly all dryers are front-load models.
- Top-load washers have a hinged lid on the top that opens to reveal the washbasin. Traditionally, a top-load washing machine uses an agitator to clean; it rubs against fabrics to loosen stains and dirt. While agitators are still found in some top-load machines, many models now feature impellers, which offer a more gentle cleaning by moving clothes around within the basin. Top-load washing machines are often a less expensive option. Top-load washers don’t require users to bend down to add or remove laundry from the basin, but it may be challenging to reach the base of the tub of a high-capacity model. There are a few top-load dryers, but most dryers are front-load models.
- Stacked washer and dryer units, also referred to as laundry centers, typically feature a top-loading washer at the base of the unit with a front-loading dryer on the top of the unit. These models offer a more compact washing machine size, which is often a good fit for an apartment or laundry closet.
- Stackable washers and dryers provide a space-saving solution for tighter areas. Some of the best stackable washer and dryer products are front-load machines that give the user the option to place the dryer on top of the washer rather than putting the two units side-by-side.
- Side-by-side sets are simply a washer and dryer pair that are sold together. The two units will feature a coordinated design for a more cohesive look in a laundry room. As their name implies, with side-by-side sets, the washer and dryer are placed next to one another. Some smart washer and dryer sets may even be able to communicate with one another to adjust dry cycles based on the selected wash cycles.
- Washer and dryer combos are an excellent space-saving solution because they wash items and dry laundry in the same machine. All-in-one combo units feature a front-load design and take up the space of only one appliance rather than two. Many washer and dryer combos feature a ventless design, so they needn’t be vented to the outside—often a benefit for laundry closets, RVs, and other spaces. However, the time it takes to wash and dry a load of laundry in an all-in-one model is often significantly longer than it would take with two separate units (up to 6 hours in some cases).
The next step to finding the best washer and dryer set is to look for appliances that are appropriately sized for the space. Begin by measuring the intended space and then checking the dimensions of each washer and dryer pair to confirm they will fit.
The dimensions of a washer and dryer can vary quite a bit depending on the capacity and design of each model. More compact washers and dryers are about 33 to 36 inches high by 24 inches wide by 24 to 26 inches deep, while full-size units are around 38 to 39 inches high by 27 inches wide by 30 to 34 inches deep.
A crucial consideration, capacity indicates the amount of interior space and refers to how large a load of laundry the machine can handle. Capacity is measured in cubic feet and it can vary a great deal. The capacity of a washing machine typically ranges from about 2.2 to 5 cubic feet, while the capacity of a dryer is generally between 3.4 and 7.3 cubic feet.
It should go without saying that people who do larger loads of laundry require a washer and dryer with a greater capacity. Most families of four need a washer with at least a 4-cubic-foot capacity, but often a model with at least a 4.5-cubic-foot capacity is better. As a point of reference, a 4-cubic-foot washer can accommodate about 16 pounds of laundry, and a 4.5-cubic-foot washer can hold around 20 pounds of laundry.
Keep in mind that dryers need additional space in the unit to dry items, so always choose a dryer with a larger capacity than the washer. Finding a dryer that has twice, or nearly twice, the capacity of the washer will help ensure that there is sufficient space for items to dry.
Electric vs. Gas
Another decision to make is whether shoppers prefer an electric or a gas dryer. Electric dryers require a 240-volt current, which provides twice the strength of standard 120-volt household outlets. Electric dryers are less expensive than gas dryers, simpler to install, and easier to maintain. However, the costs of operating an electric dryer will be higher than the costs of operating a gas dryer.
Gas dryers are powered by either propane gas or natural gas. They deliver faster drying times (around twice as fast) and don’t create as much static cling as an electric dryer. Gas dryers are also cheaper to operate than electric dryers. However, gas dryers require a greater upfront investment and require professional installation.
Look for information about the wash cycles offered by each washing machine. Finding a washing machine that offers a variety of wash cycles is important to suit different types of fabrics. Each wash cycle utilizes different speeds, soak times, water temperatures, and agitation rates. Using the same cycle for all items could result in damaging more delicate items and not having sufficient cleaning power to remove tough stains from rugged fabrics.
Compare the number of wash cycles offered by each washer to start, then compare the specific cycles offered. The standard wash cycles available on most models include normal wash, delicates, heavy duty, and whites. Additional wash cycles may include hand-wash, steam, deep-water wash, sheets, quick wash, and extra rinse.
Water and Energy Efficiency
Purchasing water- and energy-efficient models will not only help users conserve money by spending less on energy bills, but it will also help limit their household’s environmental footprint.
The Energy Star program was created to identify energy-efficient appliances. Products that have been awarded Energy Star certification use less energy than standard, less efficient washers and dryers. An Energy Star-certified washer can save around $35 each year in electric bills, as these models use only about 316 kilowatt-hours of electricity.
Energy Star-certified washers often feature a greater capacity, which lets users wash more laundry in each load to reduce the total amount of water used. Energy Star-certified dryers use around 20 percent less energy than other dryers.
More and more washers and dryers on the market feature smart technology. These models can connect to the Wi-Fi in a home so that people can use a smartphone, tablet, or other device to check the status of a load of laundry, start or pause a cycle, or create laundry schedules from any location.
Some smart washers and dryers can also connect to Amazon’s Alexa, Google Assistant, or other smart personal assistants. With these models, users can employ voice commands to start or stop a load or to track the progress of a wash or dry cycle.
Finally, shoppers will want to consider if there are any other additional features they would like to see in the washer or dryer they select. Some possible options to consider include:
- Automatic dispensers: Some washing machines offer automatic dispensers for laundry detergent, bleach, or fabric softener. These models will automatically dispense each product at the optimal time during the wash cycle. Some units feature dispensers with an extra-large capacity that users can fill with enough product for multiple wash cycles.
- Self-cleaning cycles: Self-cleaning cycles on a washing machine make it easy to keep the interior clean and free of detergent buildup, mildew, or mold.
- Quiet operation: Some washers and dryers are specially designed to reduce vibration and noise. This results in quieter wash and dry cycles for reduced distractions and may be particularly desirable if the laundry room is close to living spaces in a home.
If you are left with a few questions about selecting the best washer and dryer, check out the FAQs below for additional information you may find useful.
Q. What is the most reliable brand of washer and dryer?
There are many different appliance brands available, though not all of them should claim to be reliable. The top washer and dryer brands based on reliability include Whirlpool, LG, Samsung, and Maytag. These brands include user-friendly features such as turbo cycles for quick washing and drying, sensor drying for perfect dryness every time, steaming functions for wrinkle-free fabrics, and even smart-home connectivity.
Q. Which type of washing machine gets clothes the cleanest?
While performance may vary based on the specific model selected, front-load washers are typically more effective at cleaning clothing than top-load washers. These washing machines also typically use less water and won’t damage clothing as much as top-loading washing machines might.
Q. How does a ventless dryer work?
Most ventless dryers are condenser dryers. These dryers pull in the air from the space and heat it up. However, unlike vented dryers that exhaust this air through a dryer vent hose, condenser dryers cool it back down. This converts the moisture into a liquid. This liquid is collected and reheated again, which continues the drying process. Once the dryer has finished drying clothes, the collected water can be poured out from the tray.
Q. How long does it take to do a load of laundry in a washer/dryer combo?
It can take 6 to 8 hours to complete a load of laundry in an all-in-one washer dryer combo. Since it takes time to go between the two different cycle types, these machines will usually take longer than other comparable options. The exact amount of time can vary based on the items in the cycle; some loads may finish washing and drying in about 3 hours.
Q. When is the best time to buy a washer and dryer?
The best time to buy a washer and dryer is when the new models are introduced. This typically occurs in September and October.
Q. How do I maintain my washer and dryer?
Keeping your washer and dryer clean is important for maintaining the units. Washing machine cleaners can be used to keep the basin of a washing machine free of mold, mildew, and detergent buildup. The dryer’s lint filter should be cleaned out after each use as well.
Each month, check the dryer vent hose for any crimps, bends, tears, or obstructions. Assess the washing machine hoses to make sure they are not cracked or leaking and are properly connected.
Each year, clean the dryer vent hose to remove any lint. If you are unsure of how to do this, hire a professional dryer vent cleaning company.
Q. How long should my washer and dryer last?
The amount of time your washer and dryer will last can vary based on the quality of the models you purchased, how frequently you do laundry, and the care and maintenance you perform. Washers generally last about 10 years, and dryers typically last for 10 to 13 years.
Why Trust Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series including “This Old House” and “Bob Vila’s Home Again,” he popularized and became synonymous with “do-it-yourself” home improvement.
Over the course of his decades-long career, Bob Vila has helped millions of people build, renovate, repair, and live better each day—a tradition that continues today with expert yet accessible home advice. The Bob Vila team distills need-to-know information into project tutorials, maintenance guides, tool 101s, and more. These home and garden experts then thoroughly research, vet, and recommend products that support homeowners, renters, DIYers, and professionals in their to-do lists.