The Best Lawn Mower Brands of 2022
Not all lawn mowers are created equal. Choose the brand that will meet the needs of your yard.
Attaining a beautifully manicured lawn that impresses the neighbors is the dream of many property owners, but this achievement is only possible with the right lawn mower. Whether it’s a classic push mower or a lawn tractor for larger yards, there are numerous brands from which to choose—so many, in fact, that making sense of which brand is the right one for individual budget and lawn-size needs can be overwhelming.
This guide will seek to add clarity and make that decision-making process easier by examining some of the top lawn-mower brands on the market.
About the Brand: Whether for a Civic or a push lawn mower, Honda’s engines have always been known for their reliability and long life—excellent qualities in a lawn mower.
Price Range: $$ to $$$
Lawn mowers, of course, are just a small part of Honda’s business, which is also known for its cars, trucks, motorcycles, and even jet airplanes. Since its early roots as a motorcycle manufacturer, Tokyo-based Honda has made a name for itself on the reliability of its engines, and that extends to its lawn mowers.
Honda lawn mowers start quickly, require little maintenance, and will last for a long, long time. One reason for this is Honda’s patented two-blade cutting system, which reduces the wear and tear on the engine and blades. The downside of a Honda mower is that, like some of its automobiles, they’re more expensive than most competitors’ models.
- Honda 3-in-1 Variable Speed Gas Lawn Mower. The power, quality of cut, and reliability of Honda’s 21-inch mower is a testament to what makes this company one of the best lawn mower brands on the market. Get the Honda 3-in-1 Variable Speed Gas Lawn Mower at The Home Depot for $469
- Honda 4-in-1 Gas Walk Behind Self Propelled Lawn Mower: This 21-inch mower offers the options of mulching, bagging, discharging, or shredding leaves. Plus, bagging and mulching can be done simultaneously. Get the Honda 4-in-1 Gas Walk Behind Self Propelled Lawn Mower at The Home Depot for $699
Shop for more Honda lawn mowers at:
2. John Deere
About the Brand: Besides its signature green color and deer logo, John Deere is best known for its lawn tractors, which are some of the most highly regarded in the industry.
Price Range: $$$ to $$$$
One of the oldest lawn-mower companies, John Deere gained notoriety in the early 19th century when its eponymous founder revolutionized farming with the invention of the steel-bladed plow. The company wouldn’t debut its first lawn tractor until nearly 100 years later, in 1963. In the years since, the Moline, Illinois–based John Deere has leveraged its more than 100 years of experience building tractors to turn out riding mowers renowned for being powerful, high-performing, and durable.
The company is also well regarded for its customer service, a reputation it’s had since the company famously refused to repossess any of its tractors from farmers during the Great Depression. Given all this, it should come as no surprise that John Deere lawn tractors also happen to be among the most expensive on the market.
- John Deere S120 Gas Hydrostatic Lawn Tractor: The 22-horsepower engine and hydrostatic transmission on the S120 lawn tractor is an excellent example of the high-quality build and power of John Deere mowers. Get the John Deere S120 Gas Hydrostatic Lawn Tractor at The Home Depot for $2,299
- John Deere Lawn Tractor with 48-inch Deck: This 21.5-horsepower riding lawn mower has a 15-inch seat and is compatible with an optional mulch kit. Get the John Deere Lawn Tractor with 41-inch Deck at John Deere for $3,199
Shop for more John Deere lawn mowers at:
About the Brand: As one of the best-known names in push lawn mowers, Toro has a strong reputation for durability and reliability.
Price Range: $ to $$$$
Part of what makes Toro mowers so well built and reliable is the fact that the company has been making them for so long. Toro entered the push-mower market all the way back in 1948 and has been innovating and tweaking its line of push mowers ever since. They start easily and simply last longer than other mowers, thanks mainly to their Briggs & Stratton engines and thick-gauge steel construction. Toro mowers also are low maintenance—they don’t require an oil change for the entire life of the mower.
In recent years, Toro even has expanded its line to include battery-powered push mowers. Like Honda and John Deere, these well-built mowers come at a steeper price than other lawn-mower brands.
- Toro Recycler Personal Pace Gas Self Propelled Lawn Mower: With its classic high-wheel design, the Recycler is a 22-inch rear-wheel-drive mower. It’s a great example of the durability and solid design that Toro’s lawn mowers provide. Get the Toro Recycler Personal Pace Gas Self Propelled Lawn Mower at The Home Depot for $449
- Toro TimeCutter Zero Turn Riding Mower: This 50-inch riding mower from Toro offers speeds ranging from 4 to 7 miles per hour. It also offers the convenience of a step up and storage space for the user. Get the Toro TimeCutter Zero Turn Riding Mower at The Home Depot for $3,599
- Toro 60v Flex-Force Battery Lawn Mower: This 21-inch 60-volt Flex Force battery mower has a 45-minute runtime and 150-minute charge time. It has a cutting range from 1 to 4 inches and offers nine cutting positions. Get the Toro 60v Flex-Force Battery Lawn Mower at Ace Hardware for $429
Shop for more Toro lawn mowers at:
About the Brand: Troy-Bilt lawn mowers offer rugged construction and reliability at a more affordable price than many other established mower brands on the market.
Price Range: $ to $$$$
While Troy-Bilt might not have the pedigree of Honda or Toro, it’s a formidable brand nonetheless. The company has been making engine-powered yard equipment since it debuted a residential rototiller in 1937. Since then, the company has been perfecting its design of small-engine yard tools, including lawn mowers.
Despite its solid reputation for building well-designed and reliable mowers, Troy-Bilt still manages to keep its prices comparatively lower than other leading brands, which is notable since many of its models even use coveted Honda engines. This makes Troy-Bilt mowers one of the better values on the market and an excellent option for those looking for a durable, reliable mower at a non-premium price point.
- Troy-Bilt 3-in-1 Gas Push Lawn Mower: The GCV Series walk-behind push mower from Troy-Bilt sports a durable Honda engine at an affordable price. Get the Troy-Bilt 3-in-1 Gas Push Lawn Mower at The Home Depot for $309
- Troy-Bilt 21 in. High Wheel Push Mower: With its 140-cc engine, the 21-inch push mower offers side discharge, mulching, and six height positions. Get the Troy-Bilt 21 in. High Wheel Push Mower at Tractor Supply for $239.99
- Troy-Bilt 6-Speed Manual Drive Riding Lawn Mower: With a 30-inch cutting deck and an 18-inch turn radius, this riding mower can get into tighter spots than other riding mowers. Get the Troy-Bilt 6-Speed Manual Drive Riding Lawn Mower at The Home Depot for $1,499
Shop for more Troy-Bilt lawn mowers at:
About the Brand: Greenworks is known for its groundbreaking innovations in battery-powered lawn equipment.
Price Range: $ to $$
Greenworks is one of several up-and-coming manufacturers of battery-powered and corded yard equipment. The company is credited with launching the first dual-blade battery-powered cordless mower in 2013. Its mowers use a powerful 40-volt battery that gives the tools more power and longer battery life than other battery-powered lawn mowers. These self-propelled lawn mowers run for about 45 minutes.
In addition to making advancements in battery technology, Greenworks’ other innovations include SmartCut technology. This increases or decreases the speed of the mower blades based on the thickness of the lawn, a feature that maximizes battery life.
- Greenworks 40V 16-Inch Push Electric Lawn Mower: With a battery life that surpasses an hour, plus a 16-inch cutting deck, the Greenworks 40-volt 16-inch cordless lawn mower is the culmination of the company’s years of innovation in battery-powered lawn tools. Get the Greenworks 40V 16-Inch Electric Lawn Mower on Amazon for $206.09
- Greenworks Reel Lawn Mower: This manual reel lawn mower does not require any power beyond the user’s strength. It has a 14-inch cutting width and a five-blade steel reel. Get the Greenworks Reel Lawn Mower on Amazon for $76.49
- Greenworks 12-Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower: Powered by a cord, this 12-amp lawn mower has an 18-inch cutting deck and offers the choice of rear bagging, side discharge, and mulching. Get the Greenworks 12-Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower at Walmart for $139
Shop for more Greenworks lawn mowers at:
About the Brand: CRAFTSMAN offers both electric and gas lawn mowers, and it has been one of the most prolific brands in riding lawn mowers for decades.
Price Range: $ to $$$
Sears, the parent company that elevated the Craftsman name to such iconic status in the tool world, may not be long for this world, but the Craftsman name lives on. It was acquired by Stanley Black & Decker in 2017, and its name still means something.
While Craftsman tractors may not have as much power as John Deere and Cub Cadet (see No. 9 below) models, they include many of the same features, including hydrostatic transmissions and ergonomic high-back seating. Durably made, reliable, and priced at a fraction of the cost of other brands, Craftsman lawn tractors remain one of the best values among riding lawn mowers.
- CRAFTSMAN M250 160-cc 21-in Self-Propelled Lawn Mower: At 21 inches wide, this mower has 11-inch wheels, a 160-cc Honda engine, and six height positions. Get the CRAFTSMAN M250 160-cc 21-in Self-Propelled Lawn Mower at Lowe’s for $399
- CRAFTSMAN 20-Volt Max Electric Lawn Mower: With 50 minutes of runtime, this mower offers cutting options from 1.5 inches to 3.5 inches high. The 35-pound mower can be stored vertically. Get the CRAFTSMAN 20-Volt Max Electric Lawn Mower at Lowe’s for $299
Shop for more Craftsman lawn mowers at:
About the Brand: EGO’s innovative battery-powered tools push the envelope of what’s possible with cordless lawn mowers.
Price Range: $$ to $$$$
When it comes to battery-powered mowers, most people are concerned about two things: How powerful is it, and how long does a single battery charge last? Manufacturers in the industry continue to develop battery technologies that push the envelope further, and Ego has gained a reputation for being one of the top innovators.
This is evident in its ARC lithium 56-volt battery, which boasts a runtime of more than 60 minutes, the longest of any battery-powered mower on the market. When the battery is drained, it can recharge fully in just 1 hour. Those impressive stats, coupled with innovations like Select Cut, which allows the user to switch between three blade types, have made Ego one of the most respected battery-powered mower brands.
- EGO Power+ LM2133 Mower: With its expansive 21-inch cutting deck, 45-minute runtime, and rapid charger, the LM2133 mower is an excellent example of EGO’s ability to innovate to get the most out of battery power. Get the EGO Power+ LM2133 Mower on Amazon for $569
- EGO Power+ LM2142SP 56-Volt Mower: A longer runtime mower, this 56-volt 3-in-1 self-propelled mower offers up to 80 minutes of lawn cutting on the two batteries included. Get the EGO Power+ LM2142SP 56-Volt Mower at Lowe’s for $799
- EGO Power+ Zero Turn 41″ Mower: A battery-platform compatible riding mower, this 42-inch mower offers 22 horsepower and three driving modes. Get the EGO Power+ Zero Turn 41″ Mower at Acme Tools for $5,499
Shop for more EGO lawn mowers at:
About the Brand: As with its highly regarded line of chainsaws, Husqvarna mowers are renowned for their power and reliability.
Price Range: $$ to $$$$
Sweden-based Husqvarna is well known as a manufacturer of high-end outdoor power tools, with chainsaws being perhaps its most well-known product. While its lawn-care products include both walk-behind mowers and lawn tractors, the company is better known for its riding mowers, including tractors and zero-turn mowers.
Husqvarna’s product line is among the most durable and reliable brands on the market. They also include higher-end features, such as pedal-operated speed and direction control, ergonomic seating, and comfortable controls. Durability and cutting-edge features aren’t cheap, though. Husqvarna’s lawn mowers, like most of its outdoor tools, come at a premium price.
- Husqvarna Z254F Lawn Mower: The Z254F zero-turn mower, with its max speed of 6.5 miles per hour, plush seating, ergonomic control, and sturdy build panel, exemplifies what Husqvarna mowers are all about. Get the Husqvarna Zero-turn Lawn Mower at Lowe’s for $3,299
- Husqvarna Automower Robotic Lawn Mower: As a robotic lawn mower, it has a 60-minute runtime and can cut up to 700 square feet of lawn. It also offers Bluetooth connectivity up to 100 feet. Get the Husqvarna Automatic Robotic Lawn Mower on Amazon for $1,399.95
Shop for more Husqvarna lawn mowers at:
9. Cub Cadet
About the Brand: While Cub Cadet tractors are highly regarded for their reliability and sturdy construction, their mowing decks set them apart for the exceptional cuts they produce.
Price Range: $ to $$$
Valley City, Ohio–based Cub Cadet has its roots in building small tractors for farmers back in the 1960s. Since then, it has evolved to become one of the most well-regarded manufacturers of lawn tractors, routinely competing with John Deere for the top spot.
Cub Cadet riding mowers and walk-behind mowers have a solid reputation for being well built and reliable, and also for the beautiful cut created by their well-designed lawn decks and cutting systems. They also have features rarely found on other mowers, such as cruise control and pedal-speed control. But, as with other high-end brands on this list, that premium cut doesn’t come cheap. Cub Cadet lawn tractors are among the most expensive on the market.
- Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro LT Gas Riding Lawn Tractor: Features such as cruise control, 12 deck-height positions, and ergonomic seating in the XT1 Enduro LT mower are indicative of the high quality of Cub Cadet mowers. Get the Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro LT Gas Riding Lawn Tractor at The Home Depot for $2,099
- Cub Cadet Self-Propelled Lawn Mower: With a 21-inch cutting width, this self-propelled mower has a four-cycle engine and a 1.9-bushel-capacity rear bagger. Get the Cub Cadet Self-Propelled Lawn Mower at Mowers Direct for $419.99
Shop for more Cub Cadet lawn mowers at:
How We Chose the Best Lawn Mower Brands
After considering dozens of lawn mowers from the best lawn mower brands, the recommended products were selected in order to showcase the best among each brand’s variety of lawn mower styles and types. Runtime, bagging style and capacity, height adjustment options, turning capability, and cutting deck were among the features reviewed for those mowers that made the list.
As lawn size, power source needs, and mower type preferences vary among lawn mower users, the lists include a variety of types of lawn mowers from push mowers to riding tractors. Price point, overall size, and storage options were also considered.