When your leather furniture gets damaged, instead of replacing it, you would probably prefer to repair it. You could call a professional upholsterer, but the expense may not be worth it.
Instead, you can take care of it yourself with a leather repair kit. These kits are easy to use, can match the color and feel of the original leather, and use quality material that lasts as long as the surrounding leather, sometimes even longer. When it comes to choosing the best leather repair kit, quality dictates results. Read on for more information about leather repair kits and our top picks.
- BEST OVERALL: Fortivo Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Numola Leather Repair Patch Kit
- BEST FOR STAINS: Leather Hero Color Restorer Complete Repair Kit
- BEST FOR PET SCRATCHES: MastaPlasta Self-Adhesive Patch For Leather Repair
- BEST FOR COLOR RESTORATION: BlendItOn Leather Max Complete Leather Refinish
- BEST FOR CRACKED LEATHER: Coconix Vinyl and Leather Repair Kit
- BEST FOR CARS: Chamberlain’s Leather Milk Healing Balm
- BEST FOR COUCHES: Furniture Clinic The Original Leather Recoloring Balm
How We Chose the Best Leather Repair Kits
We researched the most sought-after leather repair kits in their respective categories and discovered that the best models are determined by their colorways, application type and versatility, compatibility with multiple surfaces, accessories included, and other special features included by select brands.
For optimal versatility and convenience, we prioritized options that came in many colorways, with some picks offering more than 23. Based on the type of repair required the above adhesives and patches are made for correcting scratches, cracks, tears, discoloration, and stains on leather, faux leather, leatherette, vinyl, synthetic, bicast, PU, and more. With that in mind, these options can be used on damaged furniture, car seats, purses, clothing, and footwear.
For ease of application, our list of leather repair kits come with multiple accessories including alcohol wipes, cleaners, backing fabric, spatulas, brushes, sponges, mixing jars, conditioners, guides and instruction links, and more.
Our Top Picks
The top-rated products below were chosen for quality, price, and customer satisfaction to help you find the best leather repair kit for your furniture.
Designed for repairing cuts, burns, scratches, tears, and cracks, the Fortivo leather and vinyl repair kit includes a comprehensive color guide with easy-to-follow instructions and 10 intermixable colors. Fill gaps or holes with the Fortivo leather filler and customize the color to match the original material, or even dye it something different—it’s up to you.
This Fortivo leather furniture repair kit works on a wide variety of materials, including genuine leather, Italian leather, pleather, vinyl, and faux leather. It can help repair furniture, automotive upholstery, clothing, accessories, luggage, and more. The Fortivo leather and vinyl repair kit also comes with a step-by-step instruction video, spatula, mixing bottle, backing fabric, and practice leather sample.
- Color(s): 7
- Application type/uses: Most types of damage
- Compatible materials: Leather and vinyl
- Suitable for cuts, burns, scratches, tears, and cracks
- Color guide and instructions included to make best possible color match from 10 intermixable colors
- Works on furniture, automotive upholstery, clothing, accessories, luggage, and more
- Comes with spatula, mixing bottle, backing fabric, and practice leather sample
- No alcohol or razor included with purchase; may need to be bought separately
Get the Fortivo vinyl repair kit at Amazon.
Affordable and effective, the Numola self-adhesive leather repair patch is a ready-made solution to quickly repair leather, vinyl, car seats, luggage, clothing, and more. Simply clean the leather, peel the protective film from the patch, and apply it to the damaged area, following the precise manufacturer instructions for a quick fix.
One thing to remember with this leather and vinyl repair kit is that the simple application comes at the expense of proper color matching. Instead, users select a repair kit color at purchase that appears to match the original furniture. Because of this, the patch is best used as a leather couch repair kit and has a common color palette, including black, dark brown, and beige.
- Color(s): 25
- Application type/uses: Most types of damage
- Compatible materials: Leather and vinyl
- Suitable for car seats, luggage, and clothing for ample versatility
- Easy to apply; self-adhesive design is customizable
- Comes in 25 colorways to match common black, dark brown, and beige palette
- Available in multiple sizes for a variety of projects or a big fix
- May not be a perfect color match
- May not be suitable for brighter colors and materials
Get the Numola leather and vinyl repair kit at Amazon.
While you won’t be repairing cuts or tears with the Leather Hero Color Restorer repair kit, you will have everything you need to cover stains, restore original coloring, and bring a renewed vibrancy back to the material. The kit includes a color restorer matched to the selected color, black and white coloring for customization, foam brushes, leather cleaner and conditioner, leather sealant, a microfiber cloth, and directions for use.
Use this kit with leather, vinyl, automotive upholstery, furniture, footwear, accessories, and even a tough leather couch seat. You can even use the included cleaner and leather conditioner regularly to keep leather looking great and prevent future damage.
- Color(s): 15
- Application type/uses: Stains and color correction
- Compatible materials: Automotive upholstery, furniture, footwear, and accessories
- Color restorer and black and white coloring included
- Comes with a foam brush, leather cleaner and conditioner, leather sealant, a cloth, and instructions
- Leather cleaner and conditioner can be used regularly
- Bright color options included for added ease of use and versatility
- Some users have reported issues with color correction
Get the Leather Hero leather repair kit at Amazon.
When it comes to pets, owners want them to enjoy everything that we enjoy, but the results can leave furniture looking tattered. The MastaPlasta self-adhesive patch is a cost-effective leather furniture repair kit for pet problems by using a simple patch that takes seconds to apply.
You won’t be able to match the exact color of your material with this repair kit. This kit can be used with suede, leather, faux leather, vinyl, and many other upholstered fabrics and can be used for furniture, automotive upholstery, outerwear, accessories, and footwear. Simply clean the material, then peel and stick the patch. If applied correctly, you can use the furniture immediately.
- Color(s): 10
- Application type/uses: Scratches
- Compatible materials: Leather and vinyl
- Suitable for furniture, automotive upholstery, outerwear, accessories, and footwear
- Furniture can be used immediately after application
- Easy to apply; simply clean the surface and then peel and stick the patch on
- Color matching may not be perfect
- Only 1 size offered; may need multiple patches for larger fixes
Get the MastaPlasta leather repair kit at Amazon.
The BlendItOn Complete leather repair kit delivers on its name by providing everything you need to restore aging leather furniture to its vibrant color. This leather couch repair kit comes with a cleaner and conditioner, black and white color restorer, a sponge applicator, filler for rips and tears, cotton swabs for testing and mixing, and color refinisher and restorer in several selectable shades.
Choose the color that is closest to the original material and use the white and black coloring to brighten or darken the color until it matches. You can use this leather repair kit on leather or vinyl furniture, accessories, and automotive upholstery, and the kit includes full instructions and links to instructional videos for repair, application, and color mixing.
- Color(s): 8
- Application type/uses: Color correction
- Compatible materials: Leather and vinyl
- Suitable for leather or vinyl furniture, accessories, and automotive upholstery
- Comes with multiple accessories and tools for precise application
- Full instructions included for added user-friendliness
- Some users reported issues with application
Get the BlendItOn leather and vinyl repair kit at Amazon.
Aging leather furniture can lose elasticity and flexibility, causing it to crack, but the Coconix repair kit uses custom colors and a quick-dry formula that is perfect for repairing cracked leather. The kit includes backing fabric for large cracks, a spatula and brush for filler application, a mixing jar, and 10 different colors for customization.
You can use this leather and vinyl repair kit on old or new furniture with leatherette, faux, synthetic, bicast, PU, and premium leather upholstery, which makes it suitable for footwear, furniture, and accessories. This kit is great for repairing cracks, holes, scratches, burns, and discoloration, and it comes with an instructional video as well as personalized repair advice on the manufacturer’s website.
- Color(s): 10
- Application type/uses: Cracks
- Compatible materials: Leatherette, faux, synthetic, bicast, PU, and premium leather upholstery
- Suitable for footwear, furniture, and accessories for ample versatility
- Custom colors included to find the perfect color match
- Multiple tools and accessories included for user-friendliness
- Quick-drying formula provides added convenience
- Full upholstery recolor not included; may need to be purchased separately
Get the Coconix leather and vinyl repair kit at Amazon.
The interior of a car sees a lot of scratches and scrapes no matter the family size or number of pets. To remove scuffs or marks from the inside of a car, use the all-natural Chamberlain’s Leather Milk balm. This unique and effective 4-ounce formula provides a new, vibrant look to matte, shiny, or grainy seats and upholstery with the help of the natural oils and waxes included.
Simply rub this nontoxic leather cleaner into the seats with the included applicator sponge, a gentle household sponge, or a towel to reveal a shiny new interior within 3 hours of application. However, this small kit cannot get out very deep scratches and scuffs and does not work on genuine leathers or suede.
- Color(s): 1
- Application type/uses: Scratches and scuffs
- Compatible materials: Car seats, wallets, bags, shoes, and more
- Large amount of balm included with purchase; suitable for multiple applications or projects
- Easy to apply to most surfaces; included applicator for correct usage
- Nontoxic and all-natural formula is ideal for the chemical-concious consumer
- Should not be used on genuine leather or suede surfaces
- Only removes the look of scratches and scuffs; only penetrates the top layers of any surface
- Takes 3 hours to fully dry
Get the Chamberlain’s leather repair balm at Amazon.
Couches see a lot of usage during the everyday routine, get-togethers, or from pets in the house. To repair damage or fading to a leather couch, rely on Furniture Clinic’s The Original leather recoloring balm. This absorbent 8.5-ounce formula penetrates the leather’s surface to provide a rich sheen and color for up to 3 years.
This option also comes in 16 different colors to match your couch, sofa, boots, chairs, jackets, belts, and more. Simply apply the product with a microfiber applicator or cloth. However, a spot test may be in order before applying the product to an entire piece of leather furniture or clothing.
- Color(s): 16
- Application type/uses: Fading and scuffs
- Compatible materials: Couches, sofas, boots, chairs, jackets, belts, and more
- Ample amount provided per purchase; can be applied frequently or to multiple items
- Comes in 16 colorways for excellent color matching
- Easy to apply with a microfiber cloth or applicator
- 1 application should last for up to 3 years
- The leather may harden over time with frequent applications
Get the Furniture Clinic leather repair balm at Amazon.
What to Consider When Choosing a Leather Repair Kit
Before choosing a leather repair kit for your furniture, take a few minutes to educate yourself on the most important shopping considerations to keep in mind.
First and foremost, you need to verify that the leather repair kit you choose can match the color of the original material, or at least be within a range of acceptable difference. Leather repair kits come in several different color styles:
- Single color leather repair kits have only one color, which you must match to your original material. Most kits with this type of color selection are self-adhesive leather patches that can be quickly stuck on clean leather for a fast, effective, but often poorly color-matched, repair.
- Single dominant color leather repair kits contain a dominant color that you match to your existing furniture, as well as additional colors and shades for custom color mixing.
- Multiple color leather repair kits are ideal for repairs on several different materials because you can customize almost any color using the included dyes, mixing tools, and instructions. However, color mixing can be tricky. Always follow instructions for custom mixing.
Different leather repair kits can be used to fix all kinds of furniture mishaps. Some kits can be used for virtually every type of leather damage, from cuts, rips, and burns to scratches, discoloration, and stains. However, most leather repair kits have specific intended uses, including kits for cuts and tears, abrasions and scratches, cracking, burns, and color renewal.
- Kits for cuts and tears will include products like patches, adhesives or glues, and dye that are best for fixing penetrating damage.
- Abrasions and scratch kits also contain patches and dye, but these are designed to be used over a hole, instead of from within, as you would repair a cut.
- Cracking leather repair kits have compounds that allow you to fill in the cracks and oil to increase the flexibility and elasticity of the leather.
- Burn repair kits are intended for removing excess burned material, filling in the gap caused by the burn, and covering the damage with a patch made to blend with the original material.
- Color renewal leather repair kits focus on dyeing the material and have penetrating solutions including cleaners and conditioners to ensure the treatment doesn’t rub off. These kits won’t help with physical damage, but they work well for reviving colors and repairing dirt, food, and ink stains.
A leather repair kit’s versatility is determined by the variety of materials it can be used to repair and the number of uses it has. Specialized repair kits may be good for only one type of material, like leather shoes, leather seats, or car seats, but versatile kits can help you repair furniture, car upholstery, clothing, accessories, footwear, and more.
In addition, some leather repair kits are made for repairing specific types of leather products, such as genuine leather, Italian leather, bonded leather, bicast leather, PU leather, pleather, vinyl, and so on. So double-check the leather repair kit you choose to make sure that it is rated for use with your original material.
Leather repair kits usually come with a number of accessories—either several pieces of the same material for large repairs, or a variety of items for a broad spectrum of repairs. In general, a leather repair kit will include between 10 to 25 pieces.
In addition to any tools and materials needed, a leather repair kit may also contain alcohol wipes, cleaning cloths, sandpaper, grain paper, leather adhesive, application swabs, backing fabrics, leather samples for patching, paints, dye, sponges, mixing tools, bowls, brushes, dye pens, glue, and instructions.
If you are new to DIY leather repair, consider a leather repair kit with instructional videos, extra applicator tools, and a wide variety of application options so you can be certain you have everything you need to repair your furniture.
The Advantages of Using a Leather Repair Kit
When furniture gets worn, scratched, or torn, it can make a home look a bit shabby or neglected, but throwing out an entire leather sofa because of a few scratches is a waste of an investment. If the damage is bad enough, it might be best to call in a professional upholsterer. However, for light to moderate repairs, a leather repair kit could be just what you need to do the repairs yourself.
Aside from the money you save by fixing furniture yourself, having a leather repair kit on hand enables you to regularly maintain your furniture so that it can be yours for years without looking shabby and worn. And by customizing the leather dye in your kit to your exact preference, you’ll know the color outcome before the job is done, instead of having to wait for the big reveal from a professional.
- Having a leather repair kit is cost-effective.
- With your own leather repair kit, you can return your leather furniture to a like-new appearance.
- Owning a leather repair kit allows you to fully customize your furniture repair for perfect color matching.
Before buying a new leather repair kit, take a look at these frequently asked questions and their answers below.
Q. How do you use a leather repair kit?
Each leather repair kit will come with its own set of instructions that should be your first reference, but these are the basic steps to follow when using a leather repair kit:
- Clean the leather.
- Trim the damaged areas.
- Insert backing in large tears.
- Apply leather repair compound.
- Grain the repair.
- Apply sealer.
- Mix the dye.
- Apply the dye.
- Seal the leather.
Q. How long will leather repair results last?
If done correctly, a leather repair should last as long as the surrounding material, and may even outlive the original leather. If the repair is not done correctly, the area will wear quickly due to increased friction and poor adhesion.
Q. Are any ingredients in leather repair kits toxic?
This depends on the individual leather repair kit. Some kits contain toxic ingredients in the leather dye and sealer, but others use natural, non-toxic ingredients. If you are unsure, check the manufacturer’s website or the product description for more information.
Why Trust Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series including “This Old House” and “Bob Vila’s Home Again,” he popularized and became synonymous with “do-it-yourself” home improvement.
Over the course of his decades-long career, Bob Vila has helped millions of people build, renovate, repair, and live better each day—a tradition that continues today with expert yet accessible home advice. The Bob Vila team distills need-to-know information into project tutorials, maintenance guides, tool 101s, and more. These home and garden experts then thoroughly research, vet, and recommend products that support homeowners, renters, DIYers, and professionals in their to-do lists.