The Best Leather Repair Kits for Furniture
Give your leather furniture another lease on life with a simple DIY leather repair.
BobVila.com and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.
- Best OverallFORTIVO Leather and Vinyl Repair KitCheck Latest Price
- Best Bang for the BuckNumola Leather Repair Patch KitCheck Latest Price
- Best for StainsLeather Hero Color Restorer Complete Repair KitCheck Latest Price
Purchasing furniture is an investment. Not just the money you spend on it, but also the time it takes to get it into your home, the effort involved in moving or rearranging it, and the care it takes to maintain it. So when your leather furniture gets damaged, instead of replacing it—and throwing out your investment—you would probably prefer to repair it. You could call a professional upholsterer, but unless there is a lot of damage to your furniture, the expense may not be worth it.
Instead of hiring a pro for minor leather furniture repairs, you can take care of it yourself with a leather repair kit. The best leather repair kits are easy to use, can match the color and feel of the original leather, and use quality material that lasts as long as the surrounding leather, sometimes even longer.
When it comes to choosing the best leather repair kit, quality dictates results. The high-quality products below represent some of the top options available today.
- BEST OVERALL: FORTIVO Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Numola Leather Repair Patch Kit
- BEST FOR STAINS: Leather Hero Color Restorer Complete Repair Kit
- BEST FOR PET SCRATCHES: MastaPlasta Self-Adhesive Patch For Leather Repair
- BEST FOR COLOR RESTORATION: BlendItOn Leather Max Complete Leather Refinish
- BEST FOR CRACKED LEATHER: Coconix Vinyl and Leather Repair Kit
Features to Look for in the Best Leather Repair Kit
Before choosing a leather repair kit for your furniture, take a few minutes to educate yourself on the most important shopping considerations to keep in mind.
First and foremost, you need to verify that the leather repair kit you choose can match the color of the original material, or at least be within a range of acceptable difference. Leather repair kits come in several different color styles:
- Single color leather repair kits have only one color, which you must match to your original material. Most kits with this type of color selection are self-adhesive leather patches that can be quickly stuck on clean leather for a fast, effective, but often poorly color-matched, repair.
- Single dominant color leather repair kits contain a dominant color that you match to your existing furniture, as well as additional colors and shades for custom color mixing.
- Multiple color leather repair kits are ideal for repairs on several different materials because you can customize almost any color using the included dyes, mixing tools, and instructions. However, color mixing can be tricky. Always follow instructions for custom mixing.
Different leather repair kits can be used to fix all kinds of furniture mishaps. Some kits can be used for virtually every type of leather damage, from cuts, rips, and burns to scratches, discoloration, and stains. However, most leather repair kits have specific intended uses, including kits for cuts and tears, abrasions and scratches, cracking, burns, and color renewal.
- Kits for cuts and tears will include products like patches, adhesives, and dye that are best for fixing penetrating damage.
- Abrasions and scratch kits also contain patches and dye, but these are designed to be used over a hole, instead of from within, as you would repair a cut.
- Cracking leather repair kits have compounds that allow you to fill in the cracks and oil to increase the flexibility and elasticity of the leather.
- Burn repair kits are intended for removing excess burned material, filling in the gap caused by the burn, and covering the damage with a patch made to blend with the original material.
- Color renewal leather repair kits focus on dyeing the material and have penetrating solutions to ensure the treatment doesn’t rub off. These kits won’t help with physical damage, but they work well for reviving colors and repairing stains.
A leather repair kit’s versatility is determined by the variety of materials it can be used to repair and the number of uses it has. Specialized repair kits may be good for only one type of material, like leather shoes or car seats, but versatile kits can help you repair furniture, car upholstery, clothing, accessories, footwear, and more.
In addition, some leather repair kits are made for repairing specific types of leather products, such as genuine leather, Italian leather, bonded leather, bicast leather, PU leather, pleather, vinyl, and so on. So double-check the leather repair kit you choose to make sure that it is rated for use with your original material.
Leather repair kits usually come with a number of accessories—either several pieces of the same material for large repairs, or a variety of items for a broad spectrum of repairs. In general, a leather repair kit will include between 10 to 25 pieces.
In addition to any tools and materials needed, a leather repair kit may also contain alcohol wipes, cleaning cloths, sandpaper, grain paper, leather adhesive, application swabs, backing fabrics, leather samples for patching, paints, dye, sponges, mixing tools, bowls, brushes, dye pens, glue, and instructions.
If you are new to DIY leather repair, consider a leather repair kit with instructional videos, extra applicator tools, and a wide variety of application options so you can be certain you have everything you need to repair your furniture.
Our Top Picks
The top-rated products below were chosen for quality, price, and customer satisfaction to help you find the best leather repair kit for your furniture.
1. BEST OVERALL: FORTIVO Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit
Designed for repairing cuts, burns, scratches, tears, and cracks, the Fortivo Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit also includes a comprehensive color guide with easy-to-follow instructions and ten intermixable colors. Fill gaps or holes with the leather filler and customize the color to match the original material, or even dye it something different—it’s up to you.
You can use this leather repair kit on a wide variety of materials, including genuine leather, Italian leather, pleather, vinyl, and faux leather to repair furniture, automotive upholstery, clothing, accessories, luggage, and more. The kit also comes with a step-by-step instruction video, spatula, mixing bottle, backing fabric, and practice leather sample.
2. BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Numola Leather Repair Patch Kit
Affordable and effective, the Numola Self-Adhesive Leather Repair Patch is a ready-made solution to quickly repair leather, vinyl, car seats, luggage, clothing, and more. Simply clean the leather, peel the protective film from the patch, and apply it to the damaged area, following the precise manufacturer instructions for a quick fix.
One thing to remember with this kit is that the simple application comes at the expense of proper color matching. Instead, you select a repair kit color that appears to match your original furniture. Because of this, the patch is best used for furniture that has a common color palette, like black, dark brown, or beige.
3. BEST FOR STAINS: Leather Hero Color Restorer Complete Repair Kit
While you won’t be repairing cuts or tears with the Leather Hero Color Restorer Complete Repair Kit, you will have everything you need to cover stains, restore original coloring, and bring a renewed vibrancy back to the material. The kit includes a color restorer matched to your selected color, black and white coloring for customization, foam brushes, leather cleaner and conditioner, leather sealant, a microfiber cloth, and directions for use.
Use this kit with leather, vinyl, automotive upholstery, furniture, footwear, accessories, and more. You can even use the included cleaner and conditioner regularly to keep your leather looking great and prevent future damage.
4. BEST FOR PET SCRATCHES: MastaPlasta Self-Adhesive Patch For Leather Repair
When it comes to our pets, we want them to enjoy everything that we enjoy, but the results can leave our furniture looking tattered. The MastaPlasta Self-Adhesive Patch For Leather Repair provides a cost-effective solution to pet problems by using a simple patch that takes seconds to apply.
You won’t be able to match the exact color of your material with this repair kit. This kit can be used with suede, leather, faux leather, vinyl, and many other upholstered fabrics and can be used for furniture, automotive upholstery, outerwear, accessories, and footwear. Simply clean the material, then peel and stick the patch. If applied correctly, you can use the furniture immediately.
5. BEST FOR COLOR RESTORATION: BlendItOn Leather Max Complete Leather Refinish
The Leather Max Refinish, Restore, Recolor, and Repair Kit delivers on its name by providing you with everything you need to restore your aging leather furniture to its vibrant color. The kit comes with a cleaner and conditioner, black and white color restorer, a sponge applicator, filler for rips and tears, cotton swabs for testing and mixing, and color refinisher and restorer in several selectable shades.
Choose the color that is closest to your original material and use the white and black coloring to brighten or darken the color until it matches. You can use this leather repair kit on leather or vinyl furniture, accessories, and automotive upholstery, and the kit includes full instructions and links to instructional videos for repair, application, and color mixing.
6. BEST FOR CRACKED LEATHER: Coconix Vinyl and Leather Repair Kit
Aging leather furniture can lose elasticity and flexibility, causing it to crack, but the Coconix Professional Leather Repair Kit uses custom colors and a quick-dry formula that is perfect for repairing your cracked leather. The kit includes backing fabric for large cracks, a spatula and brush for filler application, a mixing jar, and 10 different colors for customization.
You can use this leather repair kit on old or new furniture with leatherette, faux, synthetic, bicast, PU, and premium leather upholstery, which makes it perfect for footwear, furniture, and accessories. This kit is great for repairing cracks, holes, scratches, burns, and discoloration, and it comes with an instructional video as well as personalized repair advice on the manufacturer’s website.
The Advantages of Owning a Leather Repair Kit
When furniture gets worn, scratched, or torn, it can make a home look a bit shabby or neglected, but throwing out an entire couch because of a few scratches is a waste of an investment. If the damage is bad enough, it might be best to call in a professional upholsterer. However, for light to moderate repairs, a leather repair kit could be just what you need to do the repairs yourself.
Aside from the money you save by fixing furniture yourself, having a leather repair kit on hand enables you to regularly maintain your furniture so that it can be yours for years without looking shabby and worn. And by customizing the leather dye in your kit to your exact preference, you’ll know the color outcome before the job is done, instead of having to wait for the big reveal from a professional.
- Having a leather repair kit is cost-effective.
- With your own leather repair kit, you can return your leather furniture to a like-new appearance.
- Owning a leather repair kit allows you to fully customize your furniture repair for perfect color matching.
FAQs About Your New Leather Repair Kit
Before buying a new leather repair kit, take a look at these frequently asked questions and their answers below.
Q. How do you use a leather repair kit?
Each leather repair kit will come with its own set of instructions that should be your first reference, but these are the basic steps to follow when using a leather repair kit:
- Clean the leather.
- Trim the damaged areas.
- Insert backing in large tears.
- Apply leather repair compound.
- Grain the repair.
- Apply sealer.
- Mix the dye.
- Apply the dye.
- Seal the leather.
Q. How long will leather repair results last?
If done correctly, a leather repair should last as long as the surrounding material, and may even outlive the original leather. If the repair is not done correctly, the area will wear quickly due to increased friction and poor adhesion.
Q. Are any ingredients in leather repair kits toxic?
This depends on the individual leather repair kit. Some kits contain toxic ingredients in the leather dye and sealer, but others use natural, non-toxic ingredients. If you are unsure, check the manufacturer’s website or the product description for more information.