Smaller in size than regular sofas, loveseats provide a seating alternative for small spaces while including many of the same features. Some loveseats recline and others fold flat to create a sleeping surface. Available in various styles, such as midcentury modern, tufted, and contemporary, loveseats also come in a wide variety of materials, colors, and patterns. While a loveseat typically only seats two people, just like a sofa, it can be adorned with a throw blanket or a few decor pillows to bring comfort and personal character to a room.
Keep reading for detailed descriptions of some of the best loveseats on the market today as well as important features and factors to consider as you shop for the perfect piece to make your small space shine.
- BEST OVERALL: Andover Mills Caniah 56.3-Inch Flared Arm Loveseat
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Novogratz Leyla 60-Inch Tight Back Convertible Sofa
- BEST LEATHER: Pottery Barn Turner Square Arm Leather Sofa
- BEST FUTON: West Elm Finn Futon Sofa
- BEST RECLINER: Red Barrel Studio Edgar Reclining Sofa
- BEST FOR SMALL SPACES: Etta Avenue Euclid 47-Inch Velvet Armless Loveseat
- BEST OUTDOOR: Foundstone Roni Wide Outdoor Patio Daybed
How We Chose the Best Loveseats
To ensure that this guide to loveseats offers products with both style and substance, we reviewed dozens of the top-rated products. During our research, we valued the following criteria:
- Weight capacity: Though loveseats are small, they should still be able to support the weight of at least two average-size adults.
- Brand reputation: When it comes to furniture, brand can be a big indicator of quality. We only selected loveseats from reputable manufacturers with impeccable customer service.
- Material quality: What a loveseat is made of has a direct impact on how long and how well it will perform over time.
- Size: Though smaller than sofas, loveseats do come in different sizes. We sought to represent the gamut to help shoppers find the right piece for the size of the intended room.
- Care and maintenance: Few people want to fuss over their furniture, so we prioritized low-maintenance pieces that are easy to clean and care for. The one exception: our leather pick, which will require specific attention.
Our Top Picks
The top picks assembled in our lineup are likely to appeal to a variety of user preferences regarding materials, construction, and seating capacity. Read on to discover some of the best loveseats to fit into small spaces.
Andover Mills’ comfortable loveseat is the image one conjures when thinking of a classic loveseat. Its microfiber upholstery, available in dark gray or coffee hues, is durable, forgiving, and easy to clean—even in a home with pets and kids. Simply spot clean the fabric with soap and water but avoid using a fabric water shield such as Scotchgard (doing so voids the warranty).
The kiln-dried eucalyptus sturdy wooden frame creates a classic silhouette with a curved arm that softens the loveseat’s appearance. The design comfortably supports up to 300 pounds. Medium-range seat height, backrest, and seat depth make it a terrific place for most folks to sit comfortably, and there’s even room for a little storage underneath the seat. The loveseat is topped with high-density foam cushions that feel soft without causing the user to sink too deeply. This model matches other pieces of furniture from the brand to make a full living room set.
- Upholstery: Microfiber
- Dimensions: 33.86 inches high by 56.3 inches wide by 31.5 inches deep
- Seating: 2 adults
- Minimal assembly required; only requires a screw to put together
- High-density foam cushioning is suitable for comfort and long-lasting use
- Part of a full living room set; matching chair or sofa available separately
- Underseat storage suitable for remotes, books, DVDs, eye glasses, and more
- Attached rather than removable seat cushions could present a cleaning challenge
- Treating with a fabric shield voids the warranty; fabric may stain
Get the Andover Mills loveseat at Wayfair.
Versatility and style make the budget-friendly Leyla 60-inch convertible sofa from Novogratz a worthy pick. It allows for four configurations: a loveseat, a loveseat with both arms lowered halfway, a lounge chair with one arm fully lowered, and a futon with a 7.5-inch mattress thickness. The fabric is linen, which is prized by many as a high-end choice, yet the mildew-resistant material can be easily spot cleaned with a damp cloth. The design is modern with a subtle tufted seat, bold seams, and chrome silver legs.
The metal-frame loveseat accommodates two people with a total weight capacity of 400 pounds. As a futon, the sleeping surface suits one reclining adult. The cushions have a polyurethane foam fill for comfortably firm support. A large storage pocket outside of both arms can hold a book, magazines, or TV remote. It is available in nine colors from bold to neutral: black, navy blue, teal, berry, burnt orange, mustard yellow, gray, light gray, and tan.
- Upholstery: Linen
- Dimensions: 32 inches high by 60 inches wide by 30 inches deep
- Seating: 2 adults
- Converts into 4 different positions; one or both armrests can be collapsed as well as the backrest to create a sleeper
- Mildew-resistant fabric is long lasting and can be spot cleaned easily
- Storage pocket on both arms; perfect for books, magazines, and/or remote controls
- Sleek, modern style and available in 9 color choices
- Items may fall out of storage pockets when loveseat is collapsed into a futon sleeper
- Cushions may not be comfortable enough for some sleepers.
Get the Novogratz loveseat at Amazon.
Pottery Barn’s Turner Square loveseat is a luxurious and customizable seat well suited for a living room, bedroom, or sitting room. A sturdy kiln-dried wooden frame, superior joinery, and adjustable levelers keep this comfortable loveseat stable, even on uneven floors.
Consumers can select the two-cushion loveseat, which measures 64.5 inches long, but larger choices up to to 103.5 inches long are available. It can be customized to feature roll arms or sloped arms and is available in a choice of 35 colors of top-grain leather. Decorator tip: Genuine leather, which has variations in color and texture because each hide is different, should be placed away from direct sunlight to avoid discoloration.
Designed with a high back, thick arms, and down-blend-wrapped foam cushions with a polyester fill, this loveseat is built for comfort and timeless style. Removable rather than attached cushions allow for thorough cleaning. With proper care, this loveseat will retain its good looks for many years.
- Upholstery: Leather
- Dimensions: 35 inches high by 64.5 inches wide by 38.5 inches deep (larger sofa sizes available)
- Seating: 2 adults
- Top-grain leather construction softens over time to suit users’ seated position
- Down-blend-wrapped cushions allow for softness and added comfort
- Durable wood frame with mortise-and-tenon joinery for longevity
- Leather requires stringent cleaning protocols; may be tricky to maintain for some users
- Discolors over time if kept in direct sunlight; may not be ideal for areas with large windows or heat
Get the Pottery Barn loveseat at Pottery Barn.
Those looking for a great looking loveseat that converts easily into a futon for overnight guests will want to consider this impressive West Elm piece. It boasts tailored lines, a solid wood frame, and spring support—all inspired by modern, contemporary design. It is also Greenguard certified and contains low volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Three customizable positions—upright, reclining, and fully flat—add to its versatility.
The West Elm loveseat comes in a host of attractive color and fabric combinations, using materials such as twill, velvet, tweed, cotton, microfiber, linen, and canvas. Color choices range from muted tones like Wheat, Oatmeal, and Frost Gray to bolder options, such as Chili, Aegean Blue, and Eucalyptus. The manufacturer recommends spot cleaning with a damp cloth or sponge and blotting dry.
- Upholstery: Variety of fabrics and textures, including velvet, tweed, and canvas
- Dimensions: 32 inches high by 71 inches wide by 36 inches deep
- Seating: 2 or 3 adults
- Customizable fabric and color choices; comes in over 13 colorways to suit user’s style
- Solid wood frame provides 3 positions: upright, reclining, or sleeper options built-in
- Greenguard certified and low VOCs; suitable for the eco-conscious consumer
- In reclining position, the spring support futon makes a comfortable extra sleeping surface
- Curved ends are great for makeshift pillows, but may not be comfortable for sleeping
- Elevates the feet and head in futon position; may not be as comfortable as other futons
Get the West Elm loveseat at West Elm.
Recliners offer the ultimate in comfort for such pastimes as reading and TV viewing, and those who have room for an 81-inch piece may appreciate the customizable options of this Red Barrel Studio multiuse couch. It features a fold-down center to create a separated loveseat, the flat-top console between the seats boasting built-in cupholders for drinks and a surface for snacks. To add a third sitting spot, simply fold the console upright to turn the loveseat into a sofa.
The loveseat has an attractive design to suit both modern and traditional spaces. It features vinyl faux-leather upholstery with ample cushioning that’s cozy but not overstuffed. A dark brown finish makes it an elegant choice for many homes. If space is tight, opt for the 61-inch loveseat, which lacks the fold-down console but offers the same style and comfort.
- Upholstery: Faux leather
- Dimensions: 38.5 inches high by 81 inches wide by 38 inches deep
- Seating: 2 to 3 adults
- Large size seats 3 comfortably, yet customizable design lets it transform into a loveseat
- Optional center console with built-in cupholders and snacking surface for additional user-friendliness
- Reclining seats for comfort and relaxation; reclining mechanism is easy to use
- Some assembly required; installation a bit tricky
- Only comes in 1 upholstery color; may not suit every user’s taste
Get the Red Barrel Studio leather loveseat at Wayfair.
Though a luxe, dramatic statement piece, the Etta Avenue velvet loveseat is a mere 47 inches wide, which is ideal for small spaces. Its simple armless shape is less bulky than some loveseats, potentially allowing it to fit where others can’t. It only weighs 43 pounds yet boasts a 500-pound weight capacity.
Midcentury modern style comes from the sleek shape and vertical channel tufting on the back. The engineered wood frame and flared metal legs make for a supportive, sturdy piece, while the foam cushions and springs provide firm comfort. It purports to be fairly easy to assemble and comes in 14 different colors. Spot clean with clear mild soap and warm water as needed.
- Upholstery: Polyester velvet
- Dimensions: 31.5 inches high by 47 inches wide by 30.5 inches deep
- Seating: 2 adults
- Impressive midcentury modern style and support; easy to assemble with all tools included
- Soft and comfy velvet upholstery perfect for offices, bedrooms, and dressing rooms
- Small in size, yet supports up to 500 pounds of weight; suitable for small apartments
- Spot clean only; should not be treatment with chemicals or dry cleaned
- Firm cushions not as plush and cozy as those of some loveseats
Get the Etta Avenue midcentury modern loveseat at Wayfair.
Terrific style isn’t for interiors only! The Foundstone solid wood outdoor daybed is an attractive, durable, and affordable choice for furnishing a patio or balcony. An acacia wooden frame makes this sectional sturdy, and the machine-washable polyester and foam cushions add comfort and a luxurious look.
For flexibility, this daybed comes in two colorways to match any space’s current fixtures. With a weight capacity of 550 pounds, this model is suitable for up to four adults. Because it’s rust-, moisture-, and weather-resistant, this patio daybed is a great option for long-term outdoor use.
- Upholstery: Polyester
- Dimensions: 27 inches high by 82 inches wide (maximum) by 30.50 inches deep (maximum)
- Seating: 4 adults
- Suitable for outdoor areas; rust-, moisture-, and weather-resistant construction
- Can hold up to 4 people; weight capacity of 550 pounds
- Sturdy solid wood frame and polyester pillows provide long-term use and durability
- Only the cushion covers on this model are washable; foam inserts should not be machine-washed
Get the Foundstone loveseat at Wayfair.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Loveseat
Selecting the best loveseat for your needs depends on a variety of factors. Consider how you’ll use a loveseat, the size that best suits your space, and how it will most be used.
Loveseats are available in different types and vary in functionality.
- Reclining loveseats extend at the top and bottom. Manual recliners use a lever or tab and don’t allow for as many positions as powered recliners, but they’re less expensive.
- Futon loveseats fold down flat to provide a sleeping surface. The frame is typically made of wood, metal, or a combination of both. The mattress layers should be thick enough so that sleepers won’t feel the frame while resting.
- Outdoor loveseats make a great patio furniture choice for small patios and balconies. They’re typically constructed out of wicker, teak, cedar, or metal and are built to withstand the elements, often with water-resistant fabric.
Intended to suit a variety of spaces, loveseats typically range in length from as short as 40.5 inches to as long as 72 inches. Depth usually ranges from 28 inches to 36 inches, with a height ranging from 33 inches to 40 inches.
Loveseats must be constructed of high-quality materials for the frame to last a long time. A frame made of real wood and secured with screws or nails usually indicates durability and longevity. For example, a kiln-dried wood frame that is corner blocked and double doweled can last up to 10 years.
Metal, however, is the sturdiest and longest-lasting frame material. Unfortunately, a metal frame can create uncomfortable pressure points over time, so just make sure the metal edges of the frame cannot be felt through the cushions.
Material that is too thin and wears quickly won’t remain comfortable for long. Here are some of the most common loveseat fabric options:
- Polyester is a durable, water-resistant fabric that’s popular for loveseats because it resists stains and spills.
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) looks like leather but is much lower maintenance.
Polyurethane is waterproof, stain-resistant, and has enhanced torsion strength, meaning it can withstand cuts and punctures.
- Leather is extremely durable and can stand up to years of wear and tear. It’s expensive, however, and demands specific maintenance to stay in shape.
- Faux-leather upholstery is also durable and long lasting. It resists scratches and abrasions and is less likely to crack or peel than genuine leather.
When selecting from the above fabric options, check the double rub (DR) rating. This is the number of times a user can sit in the same place—and “rub” against the fabric—before it shows signs of wear. For a residential piece of furniture like a loveseat, a DR of at least 15,000 will ensure it holds up to heavy use. (By comparison, furniture in a business setting typically requires a DR of 35,000 or higher.)
A comfortable loveseat depends not only on the outer fabric but also on the inner construction, namely the springs and the cushion filling. To determine the quality of the springs, remove the cushions and press down on them through the upholstery. Make sure they’re close together and evenly spaced to provide solid support without too much give while still remaining comfortable.
There are several available cushion fillings.
- Polyurethane foam is a common cushion filling in furniture; the higher the density, the firmer the cushion.
- High-resilient foam is both comfortable and durable.
- Goose down mixed with feathers is usually expensive and high maintenance when integrated into furniture. Plan on frequently fluffing this kind of cushion.
- High-resilient foam wrapped in goose down and feathers combines softness with comfort and durability.
For those who like to use the arm of a loveseat as a pillow or a backrest, look for 7-inch to 9-inch arms for maximum comfort.
Loveseats are available in a plethora of styles from midcentury models to contemporary looks to pieces with unique features.
- Contemporary loveseats combine simple, classic style with a touch of modern flair.
- Midcentury style refers to design originally popular between 1945 to 1969—and now highly prized for its sleek and simple lines.
- Tufted upholstery has fabric that is pulled together and folded into a geometric pattern secured by buttons.
- Lawson loveseats have back cushions separate from the frame for softer, more cushioned comfort. They have a simple silhouette with either rolled or squared arms.
- English rolled-arm loveseats have low, rolled arms; a high back; and tight yet comfortable upholstery. The short-turned legs lend a traditional look.
- Bridgewater loveseats also boast a high back with low, rolled arms yet are a bit more casual in style.
- Camelback loveseats provide a higher back in the center that then descends in a continuous line to the arms. Traditional camelback loveseats have exposed wood legs and wood topping the back and arms, while contemporary designs have cushioned backs and arms.
Colors and Patterns
There’s virtually no end to the selection of colors and patterns available for a loveseat. Consider location when choosing a shade. For example, shoppers might decide on a lighter color or pattern for a loveseat placed in front of a window that sees a lot of sunlight so fading won’t be a problem.
When choosing a loveseat for a fairly large room that already has some solid-color furniture, a pattern might be a fun, bold way to shake things up. However, for a small apartment or dorm room, a solid, neutral color could keep the aesthetic from looking too busy. Some manufacturers may also allow shoppers to select the color and finish for the frame and/or legs.
Some loveseats feature additional furniture and accessories that add to their functionality. These accessories can include center consoles with cupholders, a storage compartment, and even hidden compartments that conceal USB and power ports for charging devices. Some loveseats also come with a matching ottoman or throw pillows.
For more information about loveseats and other comfortable seating options, check out these answers to some of the most frequently asked questions. If additional concerns arise, contact the manufacturer.
Q. Are sofas and couches the same piece of furniture?
Officially, no. A couch—taken from the French word “couche,” meaning to “lie down”—typically describes a piece of furniture with no arms on which to recline. A sofa, by contrast, does have arms. Today, however, the terms are used interchangeably.
Q. How long is a typical loveseat?
Loveseats usually range from 48 inches to 72 inches long.
Q. How many people can fit on a loveseat?
A loveseat is typically designed to fit two people. Keep in mind that each loveseat has a weight capacity as well as length to help consumers determine how many people can sit on it safely.
Q. How do I choose a loveseat?
Choosing a loveseat requires considering several factors, discussed in detail in this guide. Consider the type and style that suits your taste, the location where the loveseat will go, the desired durability of the materials, and whether the appearance suits your lifestyle and existing decor. Also consider budget and any other personal needs and preferences.
Why Trust Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series including “This Old House” and “Bob Vila’s Home Again,” he popularized and became synonymous with “do-it-yourself” home improvement.
Over the course of his decades-long career, Bob Vila has helped millions of people build, renovate, repair, and live better each day—a tradition that continues today with expert yet accessible home advice. The Bob Vila team distills need-to-know information into project tutorials, maintenance guides, tool 101s, and more. These home and garden experts then thoroughly research, vet, and recommend products that support homeowners, renters, DIYers, and professionals in their to-do lists.