Why It Made the Cut: U-Haul is a well-known truck rental company with thousands of locations nationwide, an established reputation, and affordable rates. All of these factors come together to make it one of the best truck deals for moving.
Perhaps one of the best known names in moving truck rental is U-Haul—and it’s for good reason. The company has more than 75 years in the business and boasts some 21,000 locations nationwide, making it one of the largest and most well-established truck rental companies in the country.
The company also has features customers will like, including the ability to pick up and drop off a truck when the location is closed, thanks to Truck Share 24/7. U-Haul’s trucks feature Gentle-Ride suspension, making them smooth and easy to drive. U-Haul doesn’t require a deposit for customers who pay by credit card, and it also offers gas-efficient cargo vans that get up to 18 miles per gallon (mpg) and are great for smaller moves. While the per-mile rate might not be the most cost-effective for moves over 100 miles, U-Haul is a very affordable choice for customers who are moving 100 miles or less.
- Truck size options: Pickup, cargo van, 10-foot truck, 15-foot truck, 17-foot truck, 20-foot truck, 26-foot truck
- Reservation process: Online
- Professional movers availability: Yes
- Deposit required: $100 for cash payments; no deposit required for credit card payments
- Sample pricing for 9-foot cargo van: $19.95 for 1 day plus $1.29 per mile
- Cancellation policy: 24 hours in advance
- Convenient Truck Share 24/7 self-service available to all U-Haul customers
- Gentle-Ride suspension for smoother driving
- Relatively affordable cost for moves under 100 miles
- 21,000 rental locations nationwide
- 18 mpg maximum for cargo vans
- No deposits required for credit card payments
- Per-mile payment structure may not be cost-effective for moves over 100 miles