Why It Made the Cut: Apartments.com attracts diverse, qualified renters to millions of properties using innovative tools and attractive marketing.
Since its start in 1992, Apartments.com has developed a reputable platform for property owners and renters alike. Apartments.com charges renters a $24.99 fee that covers background and credit checks. Their pay-to-apply approach means that serious candidates are more likely to apply, resulting in property owners getting higher-quality applicants. It’s free for owners to list on the site, with the option to upgrade to a Premium listing, and there are many unique categories an owner can tag their property with, including lifestyle and affordability. Property owners can also screen applicants, sign leases, and collect rent through the platform. Apartments.com also syndicates listings across five partner sites for even more traffic and views.
While Apartments.com does have a mobile app, users complain that it’s not as intuitive as the website. Despite this minor setback, this platform does an excellent job of getting quality candidates in front of property owners and filling vacancies promptly.
- Cost to list: Free
- Listing categories: Price, beds, baths, lifestyle, amenities, affordability, square footage
- Screening tools: Credit and background check
- Additional tools: Lease signing, rent collection, tour scheduling, applications
- Mobile app: iOS and Android
- Free syndicated listings on five partner sites
- Large selection of amenities tags for property listings
- Pay-to-apply system increases likelihood of serious applicants
- Rentals are free to list
- App experience is not as user-friendly as website