The Best Solar Path Lights for Your Lawn and Garden
Using the sun for energy, solar path lights are an attractive way to light up a walkway or garden. Check out these three options, which have impressive energy at a reasonable price point.
Many homeowners strive to enjoy their outdoor space for as long as weather permits, sitting out on the porch, cooking on the patio, or playing lawn games. And any of these activities tend to go better when you can actually see where you’re going and what you’re doing—which is a tall order after the sun sets!
Fortunately, path lighting helps extend entertaining hours well past dusk. Choose a set that’s solar-powered, and you won’t even add to your utility bill! Drawing photovoltaic energy directly from the sun, these lights rely on the day’s sunshine to operate, either via rechargeable battery or remote solar panel.
As you might assume, solar path lights are most effective in areas with lots of direct sunlight, where they can soak up the sun’s rays for at least eight hours per day. But while solar lights may not shine quite as brightly for homeowners who live on lots with substantial tree coverage (or who reside in a rainy climate), they’ll still offer pleasant, subtle brightness at nighttime—all at no cost to you.
- BEST BRIGHTNESS: SolarGlow Stainless Steel LED Solar Lights
- BEST TRADITIONAL PICK: GIGALUMI Outdoor Solar Lights
- BEST BUDGET PICK: SUNNEST Outdoor Solar Garden Lights
- BEST MODERN PICK: SUNWIND LED Solar-Powered Bollard Path Lighting
- BEST IN-GROUND PICK: Etmury Solar Ground Disk Lights
- BEST ECLECTIC PICK: Blibly Solar Glow Cobblestone Garden Decor
- BEST EFFICIENCY: ArMax Solar Walkway In-Ground Stake Lights
- HONORABLE MENTION: Aityvert Flickering Flame Solar Torches
Selecting the Best Solar Path Lights
Homeowners should consider a number of factors when choosing the best solar path lights for their property.
- Charge: A majority of options on the market have LED (light-emitting diode) lights, which tend to hold a longer and brighter charge than incandescent or fluorescent bulbs. You can typically find the fully-charged run time among the specs provided by the manufacturer.
- Color: Most solar-powered sets emit a soft white or amber-colored light, though colored lights in hues like red, green, and blue are another playful option to consider. Of the available options, amber lights tend to use less energy and last longer than their white-light counterparts.
- Brightness: The average solar path light delivers an effect similar to that of a 40-watt light bulb, although stronger options are also available. Brightness is measured in lumens. Most solar panel lights have a lumens level of 1 to 30; the higher the number, the brighter the bulb.
- Design: As for appearance, solar path lights are available in a wide variety of styles. Whether you prefer classic Craftsman designs, Victorian vibes, or ethereal-looking orbs, there’s a light on the market to suit your taste. For a more high-tech lighting solution, consider opting for motion-activated lights, or ones that glow in a flickering pattern like candles.
The Brightest of the Bunch
We’ve rounded up our top picks for the best solar path lights, taking into account the criteria outlined above as well as reviews from real homeowners. Start your comparison shopping below, and brightening your outdoor space has never been easier!
1. BEST FOR BRIGHTNESS: SolarGlow Stainless Steel LED Solar Lights
This high-powered set from SolarGlow can throw off 15 lumens of light for eight hours or more, making it the go-to choice for customers who need the brightest possible light. Made of weather-resistant stainless steel, SolarGlow LED Solar Lights come with a lifetime replacement guarantee.
2. BEST TRADITIONAL PICK: GIGALUMI Outdoor Solar Lights
Usher elegance into your yard with these bronze-finished, textured-glass solar path lights. Each 19-inch-tall light has an auto-on-at-dusk feature in addition to an on/off switch for convenient control. When fully charged, the lights’ 1.2-volt AA NiMH rechargeable batteries provide up to eight hours of warm white light.
3. BEST BUDGET PICK: SUNNEST Outdoor Solar Garden Lights
If you have a lengthy driveway or meandering garden walkway to illuminate, this bulk pack of 13-inch-tall stainless steel path lights will provide excellent coverage for the cost. The lights turn on and off at dusk and dawn automatically and, depending on your sun conditions, provide between four and six hours of cool white illumination, thanks to their built-in 1.2-volt 600mAh AAA NiMH batteries.
4. BEST MODERN PICK: SUNWIND LED Solar-Powered Bollard Path Lighting
Sunwind’s bollard-shaped path lights are simple and sophisticated—ideal for driveways and walkways of post-war or contemporary homes. When their 400mAh NiMH AA batteries are fully charged, each provides up to eight hours of soft, creamy illumination. Plus, conveniently, these 15-inch lights from SUNWIND automatically turn on at dusk and off at dawn.
5. BEST IN-GROUND PICK: Etmury Solar Ground Disk Lights
Designed to sit flush with the ground, these durable, aluminum-chrome garden lights are virtually impossible to trip over! Each light (made up of eight LED bulbs) glows warm white for eight to 10 hours, powered by a built-in 600mAh NiMH rechargeable battery.
6. BEST ECLECTIC PICK: Blibly Solar Glow Cobblestone Garden Decor
Path lights don’t have to be so formal. For a funky twist on garden lighting, try Blibly’s luminous stones. Each bright cobblestone covers almost 13 by 10 inches of area and features an energy-efficient LED bulb with 16 adjustable color filters. The 2000mAh NiMH battery lasts eight to 10 hours, turning on and off automatically at dusk and dawn.
7. BEST EFFICIENCY: ArMax Solar Walkway In-Ground Stake Lights
ArMax has designed one of the most efficient solar-powered path lights on the market, offering up to 25 hours of illumination on a single 1000mAh NiMH battery charge. The 19-inch-tall stake lights provide a warm white glow from inside the caged toppers using a powerful solar panel and LED lights that shine brighter, longer, than competing products.
8. HONORABLE MENTION: Aityvert Flickering Flame Solar Torches
Add drama to your landscape—or your next backyard bash—with these 43-inch-tall solar torches that mimic the warm glow of firelight. The built-in rechargeable lithium-ion batteries (2200mAH) provide between five and 10 hours of illumination, depending on weather and seasonal conditions, and the lights turn on and off automatically at dusk and dawn.