The Best Solar Path Lights for Your Lawn and Garden
Using the sun for energy, solar path lights are an attractive way to light up a walkway or garden.
Many homeowners strive to enjoy their outdoor space as much as possible, whether that means reading on the porch late into the evening, cooking on the patio after dark, or playing lawn games in the twilight. Of course, any such activities become complicated if you can’t see where you’re going!
Fortunately, path lighting helps extend your outdoor hours well past sunset. Choose a set that’s solar-powered, and you won’t even add to your utility bill. Drawing photovoltaic energy directly from the sun, these lights rely on the day’s sunshine to operate, either via rechargeable battery or remote solar panel.
As you might assume, solar path lights are most effective in areas that receive lots of direct sunlight. But while solar lights may not shine quite as brightly for homeowners who live on lots with substantial tree coverage (or who reside in a rainy climate), they’ll still offer pleasant, subtle brightness at nighttime—and use zero electricity in the process.
- MOST TRADITIONAL: GIGALUMI Outdoor Solar Lights
- BRIGHTEST LIGHT: SolarGlow Stainless Steel LED Solar Lights
- LONGEST LASTING: ArMax Solar Walkway In-Ground Stake Lights
- LOWEST PROFILE: Etmury Solar Ground Disk Lights
- MOST FUN: Blibly Solar Glow Cobblestone Garden Decor
- HONORABLE MENTION: Aityvert Flickering Flame Solar Torches
Selecting the Best Solar Path Lights
Homeowners should consider a number of factors when choosing the best solar path lights for their property.
- Charge: A majority of options on the market have LED (light-emitting diode) lights, which tend to hold a longer and brighter charge than incandescent or fluorescent bulbs. You can typically find the fully-charged run time among the specs provided by the manufacturer.
- Color: Most solar-powered sets emit a soft white or amber-colored light, though colored lights in hues like red, green, and blue are another playful option to consider. Of the available options, amber lights tend to use less energy and last longer than their white-light counterparts.
- Brightness: The average solar path light delivers an effect similar to that of a 40-watt light bulb, although stronger options are also available. Brightness is measured in lumens. Most solar panel lights have a lumens level of 1 to 30; the higher the number, the brighter the bulb.
- Design: As for appearance, solar path lights are available in a wide variety of styles. Whether you prefer classic Craftsman designs, Victorian vibes, or ethereal-looking orbs, there’s a light on the market to suit your taste. For a more high-tech lighting solution, consider opting for motion-activated lights, or ones that glow in a flickering pattern like candles.
The Brightest of the Bunch
We’ve rounded up our top picks for the best solar path lights, taking into account the criteria outlined above. Start your comparison shopping below. Brightening your outdoor space has never been easier!
1. MOST TRADITIONAL: GIGALUMI Outdoor Solar Lights
Usher elegance into your yard with these bronze-finished, textured-glass solar path lights. Each 19-inch-tall light has an auto-on-at-dusk feature in addition to an on/off switch for convenient control. When fully charged, the lights’ 1.2-volt AA NiMH rechargeable batteries provide up to eight hours of warm white light.
2. BRIGHTEST LIGHT: SolarGlow Stainless Steel LED Solar Lights
This high-powered set from SolarGlow can throw off 15 lumens of light for eight hours or more, making it the go-to choice for customers who need the brightest possible light. Made of weather-resistant stainless steel, SolarGlow LED Solar Lights come with a lifetime replacement guarantee.
3. LONGEST LASTING: ArMax Solar Walkway In-Ground Stake Lights
ArMax has designed one of the most efficient solar-powered path lights on the market, offering up to 25 hours of illumination on a single 1000mAh NiMH battery charge. The 19-inch-tall stake lights provide a warm white glow from inside the caged toppers using a powerful solar panel and LED lights that shine brighter, longer, than competing products.
4. LOWEST PROFILE: Etmury Solar Ground Disk Lights
Designed to sit flush with the ground, these durable, aluminum-chrome garden lights are virtually impossible to trip over! Each light (made up of eight LED bulbs) glows warm white for eight to 10 hours, powered by a built-in 600mAh NiMH rechargeable battery.
5. MOST FUN: Blibly Solar Glow Cobblestone Garden Decor
Path lights don’t have to be so formal. For a funky twist on garden lighting, try Blibly’s luminous stones. Each bright cobblestone covers almost 13 by 10 inches of area and features an energy-efficient LED bulb with 16 adjustable color filters. The 2000mAh NiMH battery lasts eight to 10 hours, turning on and off automatically at dusk and dawn.
6. HONORABLE MENTION: Aityvert Flickering Flame Solar Torches
Add drama to your landscape—or your next backyard bash—with these 43-inch-tall solar torches that mimic the warm glow of firelight. The built-in rechargeable lithium-ion batteries (2200mAH) provide between five and 10 hours of illumination, depending on weather and seasonal conditions, and the lights turn on and off automatically at dusk and dawn.