The Best Solar Path Lights for Your Lawn and Garden
Using the sun for energy, solar path lights are an attractive way to light up a walkway or garden. Check out these three options, which have impressive energy at a reasonable price point.
Many homeowners strive to enjoy their outdoor space for as long as weather permits, sitting out on the porch, cooking on the patio, or playing lawn games. Any of these activities, though, tend to go better when you can see where you’re going and what you’re doing—which can be a tall order after the sun sets.
Fortunately, path lighting helps extend entertaining hours well past dusk. Choose a set that’s solar-powered, too, and you won’t even add to your seasonally high utility bill! Drawing photovoltaic energy directly from the sun, these lights rely on the day’s sunshine to operate, either via rechargeable battery or remote solar panel.
As you might assume, solar path lights are most effective in areas with lots of direct sunlight, where they can soak up the sun’s rays for at least eight hours per day. If the lights are in a relatively shady spot, you can try gathering adequate energy by connecting to a photovoltaic panel on the roof, which draws a charge from direct sunlight and transmits it to the solar lights on the ground. While solar lights may not shine quite as brightly for these homeowners with substantial tree coverage on their properties (or for those who live in rainy climates) as they do in sun-drenched areas, they’ll still offer pleasant subtle brightness at nighttime at no cost to you. Select any set from these best solar path lights to get your yard twinkling and your pathways more visible ASAP:
- BRIGHTEST SOLAR PATH LIGHT: SolarGlow Stainless Steel LED Solar Lights
- BEST TRADITIONAL DESIGN: GIGALUMI Outdoor Solar Lights
- BUDGET PICK: SUNNEST Outdoor Solar Garden Lights
- BEST IN-GROUND OPTION: Etmury Solar Ground Disk Lights
- BEST MODERN DESIGN: SUNWIND LED Solar-Powered Bollard Path Lighting
- BEST FOR FAMILIES: Blibly Solar Glow Cobblestone Garden Decor
- LONGEST CHARGE: ArMax Solar Walkway In-Ground Stake Lights
- BEST MOOD LIGHTING: Aityvert Flickering Flame Solar Torches
Selecting the Best Solar Path Lights
When shopping online or at a local hardware store, homeowners should consider a number of factors when choosing the best solar path lights for their property.
- Charge: A majority of options on the market have LED (light-emitting diode) lights, which tend to hold a longer and brighter charge than incandescent and fluorescent bulbs. Consumers can typically find the fully-charged run time on the manufacturer’s box.
- Color: Most solar-powered sets emit a soft white or amber-colored light, though colored lights in hues like red, green, and blue are another playful option to consider. Of the available options, amber lights tend to use less energy and last longer than their white-light counterparts.
- Brightness: The average solar path light delivers an effect similar to a 40-watt light bulb, although stronger options are also available for a slightly higher price. The consumer can this information on the manufacturer’s box listed in “lumens “—a measure of visible brightness. Most solar panel lights have a lumens level of 1 to 30; the higher the number, the brighter the light bulb.
- Design: As for appearance, solar path lights are available in a wide variety of styles. Whether you prefer classic craftsman designs, Victorian vibes, ethereal-looking orbs, or a quirky custom look, there’s a light on the market to suit your taste. For a more high-tech lighting solution, consider buying motion-activated lights, or ones that glow in a flickering pattern like candles.
The Brightest of the Bunch
We’ve rounded up our top picks for the best solar path lights on the market, taking into account the criteria outlined above as well as reviews from current customers. Start your comparison shopping below, and brightening your outdoor space has never been easier!
1. BRIGHTEST SOLAR PATH LIGHT: SolarGlow Stainless Steel LED Solar Lights (6-pack for $44.99)
Considerably more expensive than many of its counterparts, this high-powered set from SolarGlow clocks in just under $8 per light. The hefty price tag can be attributed to its intensity; throwing off 15 lumens of light for eight hours or more, this 3.9-star set is ideal for areas that require very illuminated pathway lighting. Made of weather-resistant stainless steel, they come with a lifetime replacement guarantee. Available on Amazon.
2. BEST TRADITIONAL DESIGN: GIGALUMI Outdoor Solar Lights (6-pack for $39.99)
Establish elegance in the yard with these bronze-finished, textured glass path lights. Each 19-inch-tall light has an auto-on at dusk feature, with optional on/off switches for easy control. Rated 4.3 stars from Amazon shoppers, the lights’ solar-powered 1.2-volt AA NiMH rechargeable batteries provide up to eight hours of warm white light when fully charged. Gigalumi guarantees that their metal lights are durable and waterproof with a one-year warranty or a risk-free refund. Available on Amazon.
3. BUDGET PICK: SUNNEST Outdoor Solar Garden Lights (12-pack for $21.99)
If you have a lengthy driveway or meandering garden walkway to illuminate, this bulk pack of 13-inch-tall stainless steel path lights will provide excellent coverage. These four-star lights are set to automatically turn on and off at dusk and dawn and, depending on your sun conditions, provide between four and six hours of cool white illumination thanks to built-in 1.2-volt 600mAh AAA NiMH batteries. The set comes with a one-year warranty or a guaranteed refund. Available on Amazon.
4. BEST IN-GROUND OPTION: Etmury Solar Ground Disk Lights (8-pack for $15.99)
Flush with the ground, these durable garden lights housed in aluminum chrome casings are impossible to trip over! Each light (made up of eight LED bulbs) glows warm white for eight to 10 hours, powered by a built-in 600mAh NiMH rechargeable battery. Earning four out of five stars from reviewers, this 6-light set comes with a 60-day full refund. Available on Amazon.
5. BEST MODERN DESIGN: SUNWIND LED Solar-Powered Bollard Path Lighting (6-pack for $27.99)
Sunwind’s bollard-shaped path lights are sturdy and sophisticated. The LED bulbs that top these 15-inch posts provide up to eight hours of soft, creamy illumination when each 400mAh NiMH AA battery is fully charged. Plus, the 4.3-star set will automatically turn on and off at dusk and dawn. Available on Amazon.
6. BEST FOR FAMILIES: Blibly Solar Glow Cobblestone Garden Decor ($29.99)
Path lights don’t have to be so formal. For a funky twist on garden lighting, try Blibly’s luminous stones. Each bright cobblestone (which covers almost 13 by 10 inches of the lawn) earns 4.4 stars from shoppers for its energy-efficient LED bulb and 16 adjustable color filters. The 2000mAh NiMH battery lasts eight to 10 hours for maximum nighttime enjoyment, turning on and off automatically at dusk and dawn. Available on Amazon.
7. LONGEST CHARGE: ArMax Solar Walkway In-Ground Stake Lights (4-pack for $33.95)
ArMax has designed one of the most efficient solar-powered path lights on the market, offering up to 25 hours of illumination on a single 1000mAh NiMH battery charge. The four-star, 19-inch-tall stake lights provide a warm white glow from inside the caged toppers using a powerful solar panel and LED lights that shine brighter, longer, than many competing products. Available on Amazon.
8. BEST MOOD LIGHTING: Aityvert Flickering Flame Solar Torches (4-pack for $76.99)
These 43-inch-tall solar torches mimic the warm glow of firelight and add drama to your landscape whether on or off. Expect all the top features from the 4.7-star-rated set, including built-in rechargeable lithium-ion batteries (2200mAH), which provide between five and 10 hours of illumination, depending on weather and seasonal conditions. Lights turn on and off automatically at dusk and dawn. Comes with a 12-month guarantee and lifetime customer support. Available on Amazon.
Additional reporting by Amy Lynch.