Carbon Monoxide Safety in Your Home - Bob Vila Radio - Bob Vila

Bob Vila Radio: The #1 Cause of Poisonings in America?

Homeowners rightfully fear the idea of a carbon monoxide leak, but too few take the prudent, necessary step to install a carbon monoxide detector. Here's what you need to know.

SHARES

What’s the number one cause of poisoning deaths in America?  It’s carbon monoxide (CO).

Carbon Monoxide Safety

Photo: istockphoto.com

CM_BVNOTES-1714-2

Listen to BOB VILA ON CARBON MONOXIDE SAFTEY or read below:

An odorless and colorless gas that forms as a byproduct of combustion, carbon monoxide is the reason you need to ventilate fuel-burning appliances, including the furnace, water heater, and clothes dryer, among others. Carbon monoxide is also the reason that you should have CO detectors installed throughout your home.

CO detectors come in three main styles—hardwired, plug-in, and battery operated. Even better are hardwired models equipped with a battery backup. No matter which type of detector you choose to install, make sure to do so on or near the ceiling, given that CO rises.

One other important point: CO detectors don’t last forever. Before you buy, check the package for the date of manufacture.  If it’s already been stashed in a warehouse for more than 5 years, look for another detector.

Bob Vila Radio is a 60-second home improvement radio tip of the day carried on more than 186 stations in 75 markets around the country. Click here to subscribe, so you can automatically receive each new episode as it arrives—absolutely free!