Latest Discussions : Windows & Doors


05:52AM | 06/30/04
Member Since: 06/29/04
1 lifetime posts
I am remodeling an old cabin that has had the bottom sill plate on the plate glass window rotted out. The window is 48" by 88", I replaced the sill and a few days latter noticed that another window that i also replaced the sill under had cracked at the bottom corner. This window was 12" x 60". Question. Is there a certian way to support this type of window? I have a PT 2x4 running along the entire bottom of the 88" side with support studs at 24" on center. Any comments will be welcome. Thanks Al


05:53PM | 07/06/04
Member Since: 01/28/03
693 lifetime posts
The problem seems to be with the glass, not the manner in which you are supporting it.

Typically, glass that is wider than 4' needs to be of a commercial grade made to resist wind and impact loads and is typical of the type used in skyscrapers.

Standard plate glass higher than 48" and wider than 48" cannot be used in situations as yours.

Also, for residential use, glass of that size normally needs to be safety glass depending on its location within the house.

The bottom line here, is that you need to contact a professional glazier and your building code office to determine what type glass you should be using and just what is legal for you to have in this structure.

Seems to me you have the worng glass that is too weak for the widths and heights and is simply breaking under its own weight.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button