11:27PM | 01/09/14
I recently installed a new front door and the sill is quite a bit out of level so while the door is level and secure the sill that extends towards the exterior of the house is almost floating on one side. I’ve put shims in there so it’s now supported but I’d like to fill the entire gap under that sill plate. Can I use spray foam? Will that secure it, meaning will there be any give to the sill if I use that? I’m looking for something so I don’t have to shim the entire width of these door. If not spray foam, what else can I use?

David, Moderator

08:14PM | 01/10/14
Member Since: 11/15/13
262 lifetime posts

How's it going,
I can't tell you for sure if the spray foam would work. I have never used it for that purpose. My only concern would be how it holds up over time.
If you decide to go that route, be careful. Use the foam that does not expand. If you use the expandable and are not careful, it will bulge up your sill causing a huge problem.
There are 2 ways you can handle this.
1) place shims under sill about every 4 or 5 inches and cut flush.
2) If you have a table saw, cut a wedge to fill gap.

After doing either one of these, run a nice bead of caulk to seal the gap. Use a very good grade of siliconized latex caulk.
Silicone works great but is harder to work with.
Make sure your surfaces are clean and dust free.
Thanks for stopping and good luck


12:31PM | 01/14/14
Member Since: 01/14/14
85 lifetime posts
Not going to work, it's just going to compress.
Out off level needed to be addressed before door went in.
If it's off it will effect the whole door.
If there's a gap then that tells me no flashing was done under the door.
What's under the door, slab, plywood ECT.

Click to reply button
Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

To test the boundaries of small-footprint living, interior designer Jessica Helgerson moved her family to a 540-square-foo... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... The Audubon Society inspired wallpaper in this Adirondack-styled mudroom will get you in the outdoor mood. Grab your coat ... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... This roomy boot tray made from punched metal stands up to all the elements. Station it in your mudroom or at your back doo... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... FLOR tiles are an affordable way to customize a carpeted floor covering for any space. Make anything from runners to wall-... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... First dress up your metal shelves with a coat of paint in an accent color that complements your kitchen decor. Then arrang... Dark wood shelving and a matching upholstered bench keep this closet sleek and refined. The large window brightens the sub...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon