Latest Discussions : Windows & Doors


08:47AM | 03/15/05
Member Since: 03/14/05
1 lifetime posts
I have a raised ranch brick home with oak double hung windows. These windows do not have window chains or ropes to raise them. They have spring lifts. Best way I can describe the lift is:

All aluminum has a large spring encased in a tube. The spring expands and contracts as the window are raised and lowered. The window sash itself has a grove that fits over the tube. This spring is what supports the window while it is raised. Better Homes has a section on how to repair spring lifts for double hung windows. This section explains what a spring lift is. I live in Chicago, and I cannot find replacement spring lifts for my windows. My carpenter found some, but they were not strong enough to support the weight of the Oak windows. I am looking for Heavy Duty" Spring Lifts for Double Hung Windows". I am not sure if they are called heavy duty spring lifts. Please help. I am willing to buy them where ever. Thanks for your time.



06:25PM | 04/03/05
Member Since: 08/07/04
16 lifetime posts
I think the name of the part you are referring to is a “Spiral Balance.” Since you are in the Chicago area, there is a place on North Ave., near La Grange Rd, I believe in Melrose Park, where you can get replacement window hardware. I think the name is Blains or something like that.

Good Luck!

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button