Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


07:22AM | 06/15/04
Member Since: 06/14/04
1 lifetime posts
I have a gas dryer but I would like to change to electric. How do I cap the old gas line securely. I have never done this before and the gas company says they will come out and do it for $125. I would like to save the money.


11:11AM | 06/16/04
Member Since: 07/01/03
549 lifetime posts
There is nothing that prevents you from simply turning the valve off and leaving the gas line out of service, removing the flexible connector. I have both electric and gas hookups at my dryer, and the gas line is terminated with a valve. The alternative is to turn off the gas, remove the valve and use a pipe cap or plug, with a teflon pipe tape or compound to seal the threads. I have done this when terminating and removing a gas line. A plug or cap will cost less than $1.00 and pipe thread sealant might cost $3 to $5.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button