Latest Discussions : Plumbing


06:18AM | 08/31/05
Member Since: 08/30/05
3 lifetime posts
When there is a lot of rain, water backs up in my basement through the drain pipe. I have heard that there is a ball-type closure for these drains that will let water flow out but not back in again. I would like to know what it is called, where it can be found, and how to install it. Thank you.


04:25AM | 09/08/05
Member Since: 08/29/04
227 lifetime posts
There are two types of backwater kits for floor drains. One is a ball and a ring that screws into some floor drains with threaded openings. Some of the openings are deteriorated and the threads are no good. But when there are threads, you can buy (at plumbing wholesalers) floor drain backwater ball kits.

When the threads are gone, there is a replaceable checkvalve that will expand on the inside of the threads and has a lift rod with a rubber cup flapper that rises when the water backs up and shuts off the opening. It has 3 screws with a rubber gasket that expands between two metal plates with drain holes in them. Once inserted into the hole, you tighten the screws and it compresses the gasket against the opening.

Brass backwater valve with neoprene seat.

Good Luck

Raymond VinZant Plumbing Prof.


01:05PM | 09/08/05
Member Since: 12/09/03
175 lifetime posts
Thanks Ray for helping out with that. : ) C.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button