Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


05:50PM | 10/16/05
Member Since: 10/15/05
1 lifetime posts
I have a Zinsco Service panel that has spaces for circuit breakers but no more room on the neuturl and grounding bars. Is there a way to add bars to the exsisting box so that I do not have to replace the service panel.



05:03AM | 10/17/05
Member Since: 03/31/05
265 lifetime posts
It is in your best interest to replace the Zinsco panel. Those breakers have a very common habit of not tripping on overload which tends to cause extreme overheating (fire).


11:37AM | 10/20/05
Member Since: 05/11/03
62 lifetime posts
I agree with the other coment. If at all possible the panel should be replaced. These panels have several problems with them.

1) The breakers are very unreliable. I have personal expierience with many overloaded circuits (25-30 amps on a 20 amp breaker) that did not trip. I also had a guy cut across a 240v heater wire (that he thought was off) and blew up his wire cutters. He called us out to check out the problem because the breaker did not trip. I found the breaker still on after he had caused a major short circuit!

2) I have many pictures of Zinsco/Sylvania panel damage. The breakers burn up at the connection to the bussing. If anyone would like a copy of some pictures, or copies of some of the personal expieriences with these breakers you can email me at

PS: you can add a ground bar (as long as ther is room) and relocate the ground wires to it so you have room in the neutral bar for more neutral wires.

PSS: If you are not confortable with this please call a licensed electrican.

Jim Simmons
WA State Master Electrician

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button