Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


01:17PM | 01/03/07
Member Since: 01/02/07
1 lifetime posts
I'm replacing a very old light fixture in my hallway, and as I was removing it I noticed that it was connected to two white wires coming in separately, rather than a white and a black. There are two thick wires entering the box, each containing a white and a black - the two blacks are connected by a wire connector, and the two whites are hooked up to the fixture as I mentioned. The old fixture worked perfectly with this setup.

How should I hook up the new fixture?


06:19AM | 01/04/07
Member Since: 03/08/06
192 lifetime posts
is there a wall mounted switch controlling this? that would be why the wiring would look weird. You only switch the Hot.


06:52AM | 01/04/07
Member Since: 04/25/05
1915 lifetime posts
I passed over this the first time thinking that it might be K&T wiring. But after reading your reply and the orginal message I see that the "thick wires" are cables.

If it is a switch leg the wiring is backwards. The always hot should be the white and the black is the switched leg.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button