06:01PM | 06/08/08
Member Since: 06/07/08
1 lifetime posts
Hi, I'm in my first home, and I'm completely clueless. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We have a 1930's home with plaster walls (currently wallpapered) that are cracking and bowed around the windows and corners of the rooms. The rest of the walls appear to be sound. The bowing is about 1/2 inch and does not appear to be 'loose' at all. It seems solid. I'm certain that the house is stable and done settling.

The cracks range from hairline to about an 1/8 inch, but the plaster is crumbling from around the cracks and bowed out area and leaves gaps about an inch wide in some places. I wanted to repaper the walls since the paper is old, discolored, and shows all of the cracks anyway, but I'd also like to repair the bowing and cracks too. Ideally, I'd love to ditch the paper altogether, but I'm not sure I'm talented enough to have only a paint and primer cover!!

Would I be able to gently sand down the bowed out area, or would this cause too much crumbling? Can I just fill in the cracks with joint compound, sand, and repaper, or is it not that simple? Any advice??


05:32PM | 06/13/08
Member Since: 07/28/02
1356 lifetime posts
There is a product called big wallys plaster repair that you may to check into. I saw it in a magazine and sounds like it is good way to fix up plaster walls.

Hope this helps out.
Click to reply button
Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

To test the boundaries of small-footprint living, interior designer Jessica Helgerson moved her family to a 540-square-foo... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... The Audubon Society inspired wallpaper in this Adirondack-styled mudroom will get you in the outdoor mood. Grab your coat ... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... This roomy boot tray made from punched metal stands up to all the elements. Station it in your mudroom or at your back doo... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... FLOR tiles are an affordable way to customize a carpeted floor covering for any space. Make anything from runners to wall-... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... First dress up your metal shelves with a coat of paint in an accent color that complements your kitchen decor. Then arrang... Dark wood shelving and a matching upholstered bench keep this closet sleek and refined. The large window brightens the sub...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon