- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modular Mountain Retreat > Episode 2: Modular Construction Details and Foundation Work
Advantages of a Pre-cast Foundation System
Project: Modular Mountain Retreat, Episode 2, Part 3
To learn about the manufacturing process for the pre-cast panels, Bob travels back to the Simplex plant in Scranton PA, where he sees how each module is framed and prepped for delivery.
Back in the Berkshires, once the panels have been lowered into place by crane, Mel Zimmerman from Superior Walls explains the foundation assembly process.
- Part 1: Pre-cast Concrete Foundation Installation
- Part 2: Modular Home Construction Basics
- Part 3: Advantages of a Pre-cast Foundation System
- Chris Vila and Mel Zimmerman (Superior Walls) discuss the benefits of a factory-built foundation system.
Constructed in a controlled environment, the foundation walls can be delivered to the site and installed in a single day. The panels have provisions for wiring and plumbing systems, and even have pressure-treated lumber furring strips attached to the concrete, which facilitate the drywall installation.
The cost of a factory built foundation system is comparable to a traditional foundation, according to Zimmerman.
The house goes down the assembly line from framing, through wiring and plumbing, all the way to the installation of flooring and priming for paint.
The house is trucked to its pre-fabricated foundations on the lot, and start all the finishing touches that will prove that a modular house doesn't have to be a cookie-cutter affair.
ALL EPISODES IN MODULAR MOUNTAIN RETREAT