- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Basement Finishing and Family Space > Episode 8: Basement Carpet, Storage, and Closet Design
Repairing the Chimneys, Installing a Gas Fireplace Insert and Completed Cabinets in the Basement Family Room
Project: Basement Finishing and Family Space, Episode 8, Part 3
Bob is back in the nearly completed basement family room in Melrose, MA. The new space has progressed from a dingy, damp lower level to a finished family room. He reviews the basement finishing system from Owens Corning that completes the room with walls, ceiling, and doors. To keep the space moisture and mold-free, Basement Systems has installed perimeter drainage and now a dehumidifier designed to remove water from the air at lower temperatures. An interlocking basement floor system is also installed to protect against water seepage and rot from contact between water-conducting concrete and organic flooring materials. The interlocking floor panels are attached to the floor, covered with padding, and topped with carpet tiles arranged to create a unique pattern. Easy-to-assemble, plywood-based Slide-Lok cabinets are configured and assembled to bring storage and work-surface space to the basement. These customizable storage units have adjustable plastic feet that keep them off of the floor and accommodate uneven floors. Upstairs, California Closets has inventoried the clothing and designed a storage layout with a hanging wall, shoe display, shelving, bureaus, vanity, and makeup space. Chimneys are repaired and relined with flexible, stainless-steel liners, and a remote-controlled, programmable gas fireplace insert is installed in the living room.
- Part 1: Basement Remodeling Update and Installing Subfloor to Prevent Water Damage
- Part 2: Carpeting the Basement and Organizing the Home
- Part 3: Repairing the Chimneys, Installing a Gas Fireplace Insert and Completed Cabinets in the Basement Family Room
- One of the home improvement projects for the Melrose home was to repair the chimney. The chimneys for the furnace and the fireplace were both in need of repair. The furnace chimney flue needed to be relined to meet code. A flexible stainless-steel liner will protect the home from fire danger or carbon monoxide poisoning. Jack Frederick of Frederick Gerraghty reviews some of the technology that went into the fireplace. The pipe used in this project had a double wall which protects the heat of the natural draft needed to properly vent chimneys. Three-foot, twist-lock lengths of pipe were assembled on site and dropped down from the top of the chimney. The fireplace chimney needed urgent attention both inside and out, so a new gas fireplace insert could go in the hearth opening. There was a lot of damage to the brick at the top of the chimney. The bricks were removed and replaced by Tim Martinson of Upside Down Chimney Sweeps. Some of the bricks were very loose and were removed and re-mortered. A hole is drilled into the hearth of the fireplace to accommodate the gas line. The gas line is then connected using a straight adapter to the black iron pipe. The unit has two pilot assemblies and a logset burner that supplies the gas to the logset itself. A high-efficiency heating burner sits behind the logset and gives the fireplace great heating efficiency. The unit comes with a remote control and a programmable thermostat. The logset is placed in the firebox and the finish surround is put in place. The finish surround acts as the transition between the Rinnai fireplace and the masonry fireplace. Back in the new basement family room, almost all of the new storage units have been installed. The units feature drawers, work surface, and space for a small refrigerator. The last touches are being put on as the shelves are put into place. These Slide-Lok units were originally designed for garages, but are perfectly suited for use in the basement family room. These cabinets are plywood-based and contain no particle board. Because this is an old house, the dip in the basement floor is visible. The storage units can accommodate uneven floors by using adjustable plastic legs.
ALL EPISODES IN BASEMENT FINISHING AND FAMILY SPACE